Author Topic: Areas in San Diego  (Read 10347 times)

Offline yaro

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Areas in San Diego
« on: March 04, 2012, 04:01:17 PM »
Hi everyone! This is my first time going to SDCC and San Diego in general, flying in from New Jersey. I tried to find plane tickets and hotels today and got confused in terms of the areas of San Diego (like Mission Valley, Downtown). Basically, I was wondering what's a close area near the convention center or close enough by car or something? Or would it just be better to wait until Comic Con opens up the hotel offers and choose from there?

Any advice is helpful!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Areas in San Diego
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »
It is confusing. Anything that says 'Gaslamp' is walkable to the convention center, but some areas are definitely closer than others. Basically the convention center is on the water on one end of the downtown/gaslamp district.

If you want to know where a place is located, google it and click on the map. Then click on directions, and get walking directions to the convention center. That will give you a good idea of distance.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:41:16 PM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 05:13:18 AM »
Well, the convention center is in Downtown, near what is known as the "Gaslamp Quarter."  The Gaslamp Quarter is actually right across the street from it, if you're facing Harbor Drive.

I made an UNOFFICIAL hotel location reference guide to help figure out how far away certain hotels are--you can Google the name of the hotel for the actual address.  I based this off of the SDCCI 2011 "Quick Guide" pdf, so the graphic quality isn't as good as I'd like it to be.  (I made them really quickly with MS Paint.) Otherwise, I think it'll serve its general purpose as a reference map. ^_^;

Unofficial Hotel Location Reference Map: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

EDIT:
Uploaded a side-by-side, single image version of the map and legend. Yay for Photoshop, ha ha.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:49:44 AM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:35:21 AM »
That's a great map!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:08:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That's a great map!
Thank you! ^_^ (Now that I have Photoshop again, I'm all up for making helpful graphics, ha ha.)

I'm glad it's useful.  I'm surprised Comic-Con doesn't do this on their website as soon as the hotel info is released--I bet it would save a lot of questions on their Facebook page. *laughs*
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:30:31 AM »
Honestly, I think CCI doesn't do this because they *want* to keep people a bit in the dark. By glossing over how far away everything is and simply saying 'oh, it's on the shuttle route' they tend to fill more hotels.

Offline Brian.A

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 41
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 11:19:32 AM »
I don't bother with the comic-con hotels. I don't like waiting until that late in the year. We booked our trip last month and are staying in Chula Vista. It's about a 10 - 15 drive to the convention center. Really not bad at all. It's a decent area and I don't mind driving.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 03:06:16 PM »
I'm booked into a hotel in Chula Vista too
there's an in & out on the way to/from the con. it is our main source of food during the con-  starbucks doesn't count as food
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline yaro

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 03:15:41 PM »
Well, the convention center is in Downtown, near what is known as the "Gaslamp Quarter."  The Gaslamp Quarter is actually right across the street from it, if you're facing Harbor Drive.

I made an UNOFFICIAL hotel location reference guide to help figure out how far away certain hotels are--you can Google the name of the hotel for the actual address.  I based this off of the SDCCI 2011 "Quick Guide" pdf, so the graphic quality isn't as good as I'd like it to be.  (I made them really quickly with MS Paint.) Otherwise, I think it'll serve its general purpose as a reference map. ^_^;

Unofficial Hotel Location Reference Map: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks so much! It really does help in trying to figure out a hotel. Since this is my first year and I'm not familiar with the area, I would prefer to stay somewhat closer. I guess those open up on March 29th?

Offline Brian.A

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 08:25:10 AM »
I'm booked into a hotel in Chula Vista too
there's an in & out on the way to/from the con. it is our main source of food during the con-  starbucks doesn't count as food

There's a really good breakfast place on E St. in Chula Vista too. Aunt Emma's Pancakes I think. Right off of 5. We stayed next door to it in 2010. This year we are a little farther south.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 08:07:28 PM »
Honestly, I think CCI doesn't do this because they *want* to keep people a bit in the dark. By glossing over how far away everything is and simply saying 'oh, it's on the shuttle route' they tend to fill more hotels.
Even so, they included it in the "quick guide" last year, so people are bound to find out eventually. (If they haven't Googled it already, ha ha.)

^_^;

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 06:41:33 AM »
I think the reason some people don't understand San Diego is because sometimes people are talking about San Diego County and not San Diego the city.

I put together a small on Google Maps so you get an idea of where things are.

Offline Voluptuous Donuts

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 08:58:48 AM »
For all you non-residing San Diegans...don't forget to try a carne asada burrito. They're pretty much indigenous only to this area...AWESOME!!!

Offline outphase

• Exhibit Hall
    • Law Bomb
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 04:11:29 PM »
Carne asada isn't as unique as the California burrito.

Offline Brian.A

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 05:28:47 PM »
The California burrito is awesome. I'm also a fan of the carne asada fries. Aside from comic con, I think I look forward to the food the most. Is that weird?