Author Topic: Non-SuperHero Current Movies **spoilers**  (Read 63898 times)

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: Non-SuperHero Current Movies **spoilers**
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Another film that's enlightening is CNN's documentary on American prisons.

I didn't truly get the Black Lives Matter movement.  Now I do.

It's just not how prisoners are treated in jail but how they get there.  A lot of people in prison aren't there for public safety.  As in most things in the US, it comes down to money.  So if you have money, you can avoid prison.  If you are poor, you can't.  Many people in jail are there because they couldn't pay a $100 traffic ticket or they have an uncollected debt or they got ticketed for not mowing their lawn.  Debtors prison is alive and well in the US as is, I'll use the word, slavery.  One thing that was shocking is that the government bills people for their time in jail.  If they can't pay, then that's another crime they are convicted of and they get sent back to prison for some more time.  Which in turn adds to their prison debt which they are even less likely to be able to pay.  Which sends them back to jail again.  This can go on for years.

US prisons have no motivation to get people out of jail.  Quite the opposite.  US prisons make a lot of money off their prisoners.  They sell prison labor for at least minimum wage and pay the prisoners either pennies per hour or nothing at all.  Prisons need a labor force to sell.  I don't think that incarcerating people and forcing them to work against their will should be a profit making venture.  Not everything should be about money.

Agree completely, and thanks for the link.  Another good film on the subject is Ava DuVernay's Netflix film 13th.  Well worth checking out.

Back to Non-superhero Current Movies --- how exciting that Crazy Rich Asians was #1 for two weeks in a row!!! 

Another recommended movie with an Asian lead, adapted from a book by an Asian author, is To All the Boys I've Loved Before, new on Netflix.  My daughter loved it and has watched it multiple times, and I'll get to it soon.

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2018, 09:57:16 AM »
Really glad to see this thread. I recently saw an indie film called Puzzle starring Kelly MacDonald and Irrfan Khan. I really enjoyed it and it really reminded me how much I love jigsaw puzzles.

I saw all the posts about Sorry To Bother You and Blindspotting which are both on my to watch list. I'd like to add that I really want to see Ewan McGregor in Christopher Robin, The Happytime Murders (after watching the trailer --I really like grown-up muppet movies), Alpha, The Wife, and The Bookshop.
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 02:03:42 AM »

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2018, 01:17:24 PM »
Another film that's enlightening is CNN's documentary on American prisons.

I didn't truly get the Black Lives Matter movement.  Now I do.

It's just not how prisoners are treated in jail but how they get there.  A lot of people in prison aren't there for public safety.  As in most things in the US, it comes down to money.  So if you have money, you can avoid prison.  If you are poor, you can't.  Many people in jail are there because they couldn't pay a $100 traffic ticket or they have an uncollected debt or they got ticketed for not mowing their lawn.  Debtors prison is alive and well in the US as is, I'll use the word, slavery.  One thing that was shocking is that the government bills people for their time in jail.  If they can't pay, then that's another crime they are convicted of and they get sent back to prison for some more time.  Which in turn adds to their prison debt which they are even less likely to be able to pay.  Which sends them back to jail again.  This can go on for years.

US prisons have no motivation to get people out of jail.  Quite the opposite.  US prisons make a lot of money off their prisoners.  They sell prison labor for at least minimum wage and pay the prisoners either pennies per hour or nothing at all.  Prisons need a labor force to sell.  I don't think that incarcerating people and forcing them to work against their will should be a profit making venture.  Not everything should be about money.
There is a very good doc called The House I Live In. It's all about the war on drugs and how that means more incarceration.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2018, 05:27:28 PM »
I’m curious about your reactions
There isn’t a lot of buzz about it but I found it absorbing
We didn’t go because daughter had other things going on, will try maybe this weekend it’ll be another busy weekend for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2018, 05:38:42 PM »
Really glad to see this thread. I recently saw an indie film called Puzzle starring Kelly MacDonald and Irrfan Khan. I really enjoyed it and it really reminded me how much I love jigsaw puzzles.

I saw all the posts about Sorry To Bother You and Blindspotting which are both on my to watch list. I'd like to add that I really want to see Ewan McGregor in Christopher Robin, The Happytime Murders (after watching the trailer --I really like grown-up muppet movies), Alpha, The Wife, and The Bookshop.

Christopher Robin was SO GOOD. It really pulls at the heartstrings. I definitely teared up a couple of times due to overwhelming nostalgia. And it's just so darn cute.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2018, 06:00:21 PM »
Christopher Robin was SO GOOD. It really pulls at the heartstrings. I definitely teared up a couple of times due to overwhelming nostalgia. And it's just so darn cute.
I've got to get to it & watch more movies before school starts!

christopher robin
A.X.E.
Operation Final
are all left to be seen

oh and I locked in Predator on the 13th ;)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2018, 10:16:39 AM »
this movie may get me to actually pay money to see it - assuming it won't be in an AMC theatre

I THINK WE’RE ALONE NOW

In Exclusive NY & LA Theaters September 14, 2018
In Select Theaters Nationwide and Available Everywhere On-Demand September 21, 2018

trailer

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2018, 11:20:35 AM »

It is good.  It wasn't the movie I expected.  I thought it was a docudrama about how the books came to be.  It isn't.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2018, 11:22:13 AM »
this movie may get me to actually pay money to see it - assuming it won't be in an AMC theatre

I THINK WE’RE ALONE NOW

So totally not the movie I was expecting form the poster.  Those colors, the goldfish and everything made me think it was a happy light fun movie.  The trailer showed me otherwise.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2018, 11:24:30 AM »
The Happytime Murders (after watching the trailer --I really like grown-up muppet movies), Alpha, The Wife, and The Bookshop.

There are things you don't want to watch your parents doing.  Those same things you don't want to watch the puppets who taught you the alphabet to do either.

Alpha was definitely watchable.

The one I'm sad I missed is Eighth Grade.  In a blink it was gone from the my local theaters.  It was still at the art theater a bit of a drive away but it's gone from that now too.

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2018, 12:15:53 PM »
There are things you don't want to watch your parents doing.  Those same things you don't want to watch the puppets who taught you the alphabet to do either.

I don't have a problem with watching puppets that taught me the alphabet do naughty things.
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2018, 05:09:51 PM »

We saw it this week and I really enjoyed it. Super cute.
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2018, 05:48:43 PM »
I was able to get out of seeing Happytime Murders this past weekend. ;D  We went and saw The Miseducation of Cameron Post instead. I thought it was good -- but my oldest daughter absolutely loved it, whereas my husband would no doubt say it was just ok. During the trailers, there was a preview for Boy Erased which seems to have a very related storyline, but I thought Boy Erased looks really great...I expect I'll prefer it over The Miseducation of Cameron Post.

This weekend we're seeing Searching! Excited about it.
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2018, 12:11:34 PM »
I was able to get out of seeing Happytime Murders this past weekend. ;D  We went and saw The Miseducation of Cameron Post instead. I thought it was good -- but my oldest daughter absolutely loved it, whereas my husband would no doubt say it was just ok. During the trailers, there was a preview for Boy Erased which seems to have a very related storyline, but I thought Boy Erased looks really great...I expect I'll prefer it over The Miseducation of Cameron Post.

This weekend we're seeing Searching! Excited about it.
Miseducation is fantastic. One of the best films I've seen this year.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2018, 04:04:06 PM »
i just got out of Operation Finale, about the capture of Eichmann in the early '60's.
it's not my normal movie type but I am glad I've seen it. The interplay between Kingsly and Isaac was brilliant- I do think the center could have been trimmed to keep the movie under 2 hrs.
it's quite like Argo except slower and more cerebral.

I think Kin will be my next movie
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:18:31 PM by alyssa »