Author Topic: New & Returning TV show Chat  (Read 50069 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
New & Returning TV show Chat
« on: September 15, 2016, 06:45:40 PM »
Here's an interesting blurb i came across & thought folks might like too
In August we asked you for your unbiased (and perhaps very early) opinions about the fall TV season.

What shows have the highest awareness?  Nostalgia rules: MacGyver (63%), Lethal Weapon (35%), and Timeless (33%) topped the list.
What shows have the most people planning to watch them at least once?  MacGyver (34%), Timeless (27%), and Westworld (23%) have attracted the most attention from this panel.
What ONE show are the highest number of people looking forward to?  There's a lot to choose from, but the highest vote-getters were: Westworld (13%), Marvel's Luke Cage (13%), and Timeless (10%)
What show is most likely to be canceled first?  Son of Zorn (10%), MacGyver (7%), and The Exorcist (7%) are not inspiring confidence with you, at least not yet.
A TV critic friend of mine called this fall TV season much more promising than last year's: "I'm just trying to figure out when I'll have time to watch all of it."  Thank goodness for giant DVRs.

As far as returning shows go, you guys still enjoy The Big Bang Theory (48% looking forward to it) but really have it in for Dancing With the Stars (43% said "please just cancel it").  But what one returning show are the highest number of people looking forward to?  Top vote-getters were The Walking Dead (12%), The Big Bang Theory (8%), and The Blacklist (5%).

it's shaping up to be an interesting fall.  I haven't gotten to watch many of the new shows yet but am certainly excited by a few, Designated Survivor, Pitch & Luke Cage.  Which new show's are you interested in ?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 07:34:18 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline frgx

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 769
Re: Fall 2016 New & Returning TV show Chat
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 10:01:04 PM »
New shows added to my TV schedule-- Westworld, Timeless, Frequency and Designated Survivor.
Probably DVR / binge-watch -- Conviction, Aftermath, Channel Zero, Incorporated, Falling Water, MacGyver, The Exorcist, Luke Cage and Dirk Gently.

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: New & Returning TV show Chat
« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:15:52 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
Re: Fall 2016 New/Returning/finale TV show Chat
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 06:20:36 AM »
I caught the FX show Better Things-- generally i dislike half hr sitcom's & was skeptical but i'll continue watching it- I think the scene {eta} hooked me was when the oldest daughter talked abt getting pot & the mom was, like, "why are you talking to me about this? I don't want to know these things'

Anyone caught Atlanta? it's also on FX- it seems quirky.

mostly i've been watching season/series enders.  Not happy with series ends of  rizzoli Isles, but ok with beauty&the beast end.

I'm not sure how i feel abt the Dark Matter season end- it seems to be going down a rabbit hole i'm not particularly happy with. I'm puzzled by the end of BrainDead- not quite sure how it'll have a second season perhaps on Wall Street....
still behind on Mr robot, killjoy's & ripper street
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:45:41 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 08:31:01 AM »
I watched the first episode of Son of Zorn online yesterday. There's definitely a strong 'homage' to He-Man. But the humor wasn't quite right. Rather than being 'smart' humor, which plays on love for the genre (such as you see on BBT or in any Chris Hardwick performance) it's very much dumbed down, and sometimes mean. If you were a fan of He-Man or similar cartoons, you might not appreciate the underlying tone of the program.

I really wanted to like this one, but the first episode was definitely something of a turnoff.

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
Re: Fall 2016 New/Returning/finale TV show Chat
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 09:32:08 AM »
I'm not sure how i feel abt the Dark Matter season end- it seems to be going down a rabbit hole i'm not particularly happy with. I'm puzzled by the end of BrainDead- not quite sure how it'll have a second season perhaps on Wall Street....
still behind on Mr robot, killjoy's & ripper street

I'll be interested to see what happens in the "Dark Matter" finale tonight

You need to watch the "Ripper Street" finale :D
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 10:44:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I watched the first episode of Son of Zorn online yesterday. There's definitely a strong 'homage' to He-Man. But the humor wasn't quite right. Rather than being 'smart' humor, which plays on love for the genre (such as you see on BBT or in any Chris Hardwick performance) it's very much dumbed down, and sometimes mean. If you were a fan of He-Man or similar cartoons, you might not appreciate the underlying tone of the program.

I really wanted to like this one, but the first episode was definitely something of a turnoff.
Oh my. A He-man homage TV show would be my everything. However I'm sad to hear it doesn't quite work.
Hopefully each episode will pick up more and more.

I look forward to hearing more about it as I don't think we will get it over here.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 12:42:02 PM »
Oh my. A He-man homage TV show would be my everything. However I'm sad to hear it doesn't quite work.
Hopefully each episode will pick up more and more.

I look forward to hearing more about it as I don't think we will get it over here.

I watched it on Fox's website.

I don't know if there's a geographic restriction to watching it, but then there are also VPN services that can mask your location. ;)

I believe it is also available on Hulu, if you have access to that.

As for the He-Man influence, you can see it easily when you look at the titular character.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 12:43:38 PM »

Massively sorry to hear this- i was going to give it a try.  it's such an interesting idea.
but i do hate show's that play to the masses who laugh at geeks. perhaps i'm reading too much into your summation but i'm sooo very skittish.

I'll be interested to see what happens in the "Dark Matter" finale tonight

You need to watch the "Ripper Street" finale :D

DM ends tonight LOL.
you'd never know i may or may not have done a blog post on season finales ;) 

yes, ripper will get watched- **love, love** Macfadyen & Flynn

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 01:00:11 PM »
I watched it on Fox's website.

I don't know if there's a geographic restriction to watching it, but then there are also VPN services that can mask your location. ;)

I believe it is also available on Hulu, if you have access to that.

As for the He-Man influence, you can see it easily when you look at the titular character.

Thanks.  I'll try and see if either work this weekend. 

I'll only be happy if the show has the same homo-erotic undertones as He-man - hahaha hahaha

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 01:18:25 PM »
Massively sorry to hear this- i was going to give it a try.  it's such an interesting idea.
but i do hate show's that play to the masses who laugh at geeks. perhaps i'm reading too much into your summation but i'm sooo very skittish.

It's not so much that it makes fun of geeks, but it makes fun of Zorn in a way that can get grating after awhile, particularly if you love characters of that nature. In a comedy, everyone is the butt of the joke sometimes, but Zorn is the butt of almost every joke (with a few saved for the lame-duck fiance). And I personally found the humor to be a bit mean. But you should give it a try yourself. The episode is only 22 minutes (the Fox link shows it without commercials) so it's not a big time investment one way or the other.

I'll only be happy if the show has the same homo-erotic undertones as He-man - hahaha hahaha

Not in the first episode anyway... although there are a number of jokes about random characters being murdered.

Offline dartz13

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 07:30:56 PM »
Looking forward to Agents of SHIELD and Designated Survivor this week!
SDCC 2016, 2017, 2018
NYCC 2016, 2017

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 07:57:59 PM »
I realized that Last Man on Earth returns next Sunday. Looking forward to that! It's so strange... but I still laugh whenever I watch!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 09:05:13 PM »
the thought occurred to me... perhaps the reason "Designated Survivor' is so interesting to everyone is because we all are so fed up with politics

Offline dartz13

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 09:28:19 PM »
the thought occurred to me... perhaps the reason "Designated Survivor' is so interesting to everyone is because we all are so fed up with politics

I believe so also, it will definitely be refreshing. 
SDCC 2016, 2017, 2018
NYCC 2016, 2017

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 08:51:35 AM »
This is a big week for my DVR, it's like a rain of new and returning shows! And also, the Mr. Robot finale. I'm gonna try that new NBC show This is Us. It looks like it might fill the sentimental schmaltzy hole Parenthood left in my line-up.

Not really interested in Designated Survivor, I'm just not feeling it at the moment, really. If it turns out you all rave about it, I can catch up.

Excited for the return of my "so dumb I can't help but laugh," Scream Queens this week as well as my "WTF NOW!?! Soap Opera" How to Get Away with Murder.

Last night was probably the best Emmys ever.....Tatiana and Rami both won, I was slayed. I didn't think the Academy had it in them!
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter