Author Topic: Eats Around Comic Con  (Read 214742 times)

Offline stove19

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
Re: Eats Around Comic Con
« Reply #990 on: July 25, 2023, 06:52:56 AM »
I went to Spill the Beans for the first time, and those breakfast sandwiches were amazing. They had Mario and Donkey Kong themed cream cheese for the weekend. I ended up making multiple trips. There’s a location in the Gaslamp as well as Seaport Village.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #991 on: July 25, 2023, 07:26:46 AM »
Not a new place, but we always go to Chocolat (next to Gaslamp Pizza on 5th). Very nice crepes, different kinds of bruschetta, some pastas, and excellent gelato. Easy to walk in and get gelato.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #992 on: Today at 08:11:57 AM »

Offline Kira001

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #992 on: July 25, 2023, 11:11:54 AM »
Ate at Baja Rick's Cantina on Friday for lunch in-between panels and the food was pretty good for what it was. But I felt like the price was a little too much with what you got, friend got the basic cheeseburger with crisscross fries and the only standard drink size that they have and in the end, that was around $28 dollars.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #993 on: July 25, 2023, 12:11:27 PM »
I made a real effort to try new places and get out of the Gaslamp to adjacent neighborhoods:

Cowboy Star
This is in the East Village and is a steak house.  My Filet Mignon was cooked perfectly to my order.  I wasn't there for happy hour, but they have one that appeared to be very popular.

Ironside Fish and Oyster
In Little Italy.  I saved on a cab ride by taking the shuttle bus that serves the hotels in that direction and walking less than ten minutes to the heart of Little Italy.  I got there at the tail end of their popular happy hour and had a great meal.  Little Italy is cool.  There was a really good ice cream shop next to the restaurant with unique flavors.  I actually walked back to the Manchester(my hotel) to burn off the ice cream and meal.  It took me about 25 minutes, but I got to see the rest of the neighborhood.

Callie
In the East Village not far from the stadium.  I walked past the line for the Jury Duty party as I was going to the restaurant.  This is an upscale Greek-influenced restaurant.  I really enjoyed it.  It was a splurge, but I'm a foodie.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #994 on: July 25, 2023, 01:04:23 PM »
Monday night I went to Lavo (Italian) for their $39 prix fixe special. This was a really good deal as most of the entrees are in the 30s by themselves, and this also included an appetizer and dessert. I got the mussels marinara for an appetizer, chicken Marsala for main (served with spinach and wild mushrooms in a Marsala wine sauce), and a Nutella mouse w/pistachios for dessert. Everything was very good.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #995 on: July 27, 2023, 12:45:39 PM »
Here are the most memorable food moments:

Kiosk in MMM hotel (South Tower) - fresh french fries and chicken salad with very crispy fresh lettuce.
Broken Yolk - enormous pancakes and even larger plates! Healthy serving of sodas which I needed because I'm not used to SD weather. :-)
Royal India - delicious garlic naan - buttery and crispy. Staff was very helpful, playful, and attentive.
Hilton outdoor grill - this was on the pier/boardwalk area outside of FX and Only Murders in the Building. It's still one of my favorite places for a burger and fries. I came to this place all the time in 2017.
Ghiradelli Chocolate Shop - I told my partner about this place back in 2017 and he's wanted to come ever since. We had a Double Chocolate Fudge Sundae and he also bought a rich brownie to go.
The Melt - I was in the mood for a chocolate milk shake.
Burgers Bait & Beer - Great burgers, not so great turkey dogs (it was quite spicy - I ordered the Godzilla dog). Nice root beer float
Harumama - delicious ramen - I ordered the Fat Duck with extra bamboo and kimchi. They ran out of buns. (this was Monday night after con was over)

Bonus: If you get a chance to go out to La Jolla, I recommend Sugar & Scribe 7660 Fay Ave UNIT I, La Jolla, CA 92037 - We enjoyed lemon curd pancakes with Fig, cardamom, and orange syrup. One of my favorite places - partner also grabbed a few croissants to go and very rich chocolate cookies. Colorful drinks (purple, blue, pink, orange etc). This place is open from 7 - 2:30 pm every day. Get here early enough and go to Windansea beach for a wonderful day out. Then if you can, drive along Via Capri - closest I've seen to driving in GTA Online - you'll see nice houses.
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #996 on: July 29, 2023, 07:25:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I went to Spill the Beans for the first time, and those breakfast sandwiches were amazing. They had Mario and Donkey Kong themed cream cheese for the weekend. I ended up making multiple trips. There’s a location in the Gaslamp as well as Seaport Village.
Gosh, I looked this place up to put it in my CCI Eats google doc, and if the breakfast sandwich on the header on the menu page is the one you're talking about, it does look amazing! Thanks for sharing!

I made a real effort to try new places and get out of the Gaslamp to adjacent neighborhoods:

Cowboy Star
This is in the East Village and is a steak house.  My Filet Mignon was cooked perfectly to my order.  I wasn't there for happy hour, but they have one that appeared to be very popular.

Ironside Fish and Oyster
In Little Italy.  I saved on a cab ride by taking the shuttle bus that serves the hotels in that direction and walking less than ten minutes to the heart of Little Italy.  I got there at the tail end of their popular happy hour and had a great meal.  Little Italy is cool.  There was a really good ice cream shop next to the restaurant with unique flavors.  I actually walked back to the Manchester(my hotel) to burn off the ice cream and meal.  It took me about 25 minutes, but I got to see the rest of the neighborhood.

Callie
In the East Village not far from the stadium.  I walked past the line for the Jury Duty party as I was going to the restaurant.  This is an upscale Greek-influenced restaurant.  I really enjoyed it.  It was a splurge, but I'm a foodie.
Wow - that menu for Callie looks amazing! And I see that they designate menu items as gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan and even those that can be modified to fit dietary needs . That is a nice touch! (Had to edit to add this one - cuz WOW)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 07:41:02 AM by Angology »
Ang

Offline waltbionik

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 100
« Reply #997 on: July 30, 2023, 05:40:49 AM »
My favorite go-to this year were the Acai Bowls at The Sweet Shop in the Hilton Bayfront. It was a quick walk to the convention center and allowed me to get some fruit.

I also enjoyed the new taco place on 5th Avenue. The line was out the door.

So sad to see Burger Lounge on 5th Ave. go, but there was a pretty good cheesesteak spot in its place. (I'm from Philly and I approve).

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #998 on: July 30, 2023, 12:06:56 PM »
My group also tried Baja Rick's this year, which was good but kind of underwhelming, especially for the price imo. I still miss Tin Fish. But someone told me the fish and chips on the Baja Rick's menu was very comparable to the old Tin Fish fare, so I might give that a try next year.

We also did West Coast Social inside the Omni where we stayed, and though the menu was very limited (like, about five appetizers and five entrées on the menu and that's all) the prices were very affordable and the food was fantastic. I recommend the smash burgers and shoestring fries. Yum! I will add the caveat that the service because very slow after we got our food (thought it was prompt up until that point)—both times my group went, we had to basically hunt down our waiter just to get the check, lonnnng after we were done eating. Still definitely recommend the food though, especially if you're not in a rush.

Offline Wkdbriss

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 137
« Reply #999 on: November 19, 2023, 08:35:12 AM »
We found a small tapas place near Broadway and First Ave called Tapas and Beers. The food was wonderful and service was excellent. Because it’s a little off the beaten path, it wasn’t crowded at all. We will definitely go there again.