Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211084 times)

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #1755 on: April 17, 2019, 06:35:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Has anyone tried to take over a reservation yet?  Everything came to a halt today when one of my roommates tried to do so online and it states in bold "Payment must be attached to this individual or the reservation will be cancelled."

So tomorrow they are going to call OnPeak and see what that means and if the transfer can be done.  Maybe they are trying to stop all the swapping of reservations?

I took a reservation from someone else and OnPeak charged her card. I had to PayPal her my deposit. This is my first sale though, so I don't know if that's abnormal or not. 

Offline force951

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #1756 on: April 17, 2019, 06:41:52 AM »
For those who got through on the first wave, did anyone do it with multiple browsers on the same PC? Just wondering if that works or if I hurt myself by doing that.

I had 4 browsers running on 4 different computers. Submitted 3 forms from 2 of those computers and heard back on 2 of them yesterday. The other one was for mission valley hotels for a friend, so i don't expect to hear back on that one until next week.

Just make sure its different browsers, and edge is different from IE.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1757 on: Today at 08:25:55 AM »

Offline The Camping Out Op

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #1757 on: April 17, 2019, 06:57:16 AM »
I took a reservation from someone else and OnPeak charged her card. I had to PayPal her my deposit. This is my first sale though, so I don't know if that's abnormal or not.

That's not exactly abnormal but the point is, regardless of whether you were taking over a reservation from someone else or not, people have often have had someone else be the person who uses their credit card. I mean you often have people who have someone else in the room use their credit card because they don't have one or they don't have enough credit available to cover the deposit. You have attendees who may be using their parents credit card. These scenarios often happen so that whole "Payment must be attached to this individual or the reservation will be cancelled" is a bit of a cause for pause. I've never seen that in the past to the best of my recollection. Does anyone else remember that being stated when putting down the deposit for a hotel obtained through the lottery system before?

Offline mdla

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 171
« Reply #1758 on: April 17, 2019, 07:03:53 AM »
Oh my god I think my entries didn’t even go through. I’ve been so backed up at work I didn’t even remember to look and make sure I got the emails from onpeak saying they got my entries 😭😭😭. Lesson learned for sure

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #1759 on: April 17, 2019, 07:05:10 AM »
Oh my god I think my entries didn’t even go through. I’ve been so backed up at work I didn’t even remember to look and make sure I got the emails from onpeak saying they got my entries 😭😭😭. Lesson learned for sure

From what I understand, OnPeak didn't send confirmation emails. I never got one.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #1760 on: April 17, 2019, 07:07:04 AM »

OnPeak does not send emails saying your entry went through.  At the time you submit, you should get an onscreen message saying the submission was successful.  That's all you get until you find out if you actually were assigned a hotel reservation.

Offline mdla

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 171
« Reply #1761 on: April 17, 2019, 07:10:52 AM »
OnPeak does not send emails saying your entry went through.  At the time you submit, you should get an onscreen message saying the submission was successful.  That's all you get until you find out if you actually were assigned a hotel reservation.

Is that standard procedure? In years past I thought they sent out some sort of email. Either way I did reach that screen so at least I didn’t get a false positive even though I prolly don’t have a room

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #1762 on: April 17, 2019, 07:16:00 AM »
Is that standard procedure? In years past I thought they sent out some sort of email. Either way I did reach that screen so at least I didn’t get a false positive even though I prolly don’t have a room

When it was Travel Planners, they used to send out a confirmation e-mail. Since the merge to OP, they haven't sent confirmations.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #1763 on: April 17, 2019, 07:29:48 AM »
I've never seen that in the past to the best of my recollection. Does anyone else remember that being stated when putting down the deposit for a hotel obtained through the lottery system before?

It was listed like that last year too.
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #1764 on: April 17, 2019, 07:33:57 AM »
I have not taken over a reservation since 2017 but when I did I went to the page provided from the link in the hotel email where you create a user name and password. I made my own user name/pw and then added my name as one of the roommates and provided my credit card info.
The reservation still had the original person who gave me the hotel on it, but my credit card info. By changing the user name and password in the beginning that meant the original person was not able to get in and change anything and therefore the reservation was mine.
I don't know if that will help.

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #1765 on: April 17, 2019, 07:41:06 AM »
Has anyone tried to take over a reservation yet?  Everything came to a halt today when one of my roommates tried to do so online and it states in bold "Payment must be attached to this individual or the reservation will be cancelled."

So tomorrow they are going to call OnPeak and see what that means and if the transfer can be done.  Maybe they are trying to stop all the swapping of reservations?

It's very simple and easy (especially so if the deposit hasn't been done) -- just call OnPeak and tell them the name of the person you are switching it too. They are happy to help.
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline retired

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1048
« Reply #1766 on: April 17, 2019, 07:46:49 AM »
I called and got the main occupant name (the reservation holder) updated to myself. Ill worry about the other guest names later. You can change the email and phone number on the website. They asked for the last four of the card used for the deposit. I was asked "so you are transfering this resevation to 'blank blank'?" And i said yes. A minute later i got the email that shows my name as the main occupant

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #1767 on: April 17, 2019, 07:50:50 AM »
I have not taken over a reservation since 2017 but when I did I went to the page provided from the link in the hotel email where you create a user name and password. I made my own user name/pw and then added my name as one of the roommates and provided my credit card info.
The reservation still had the original person who gave me the hotel on it, but my credit card info. By changing the user name and password in the beginning that meant the original person was not able to get in and change anything and therefore the reservation was mine.
I don't know if that will help.
this is basically what I did this year too
patience is the key to all this
did the same thing last year.... and didn't call to have the original person's name removed; but since it was my cc and name and email it didn't make a difference.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 07:56:02 AM by Emerald_Mom »
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline The Camping Out Op

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #1768 on: April 17, 2019, 08:18:17 AM »
Thanks to everyone who helped clarify the whole "Payment must be attached to this individual or the reservation will be cancelled" portion of the Payment section of the deposit page. I was on the phone with the On Peak reps while these post were being made. The On Peak reps also said that any changes could be made via website or phone as it will be based solely on info connected to the credit card on file for the deposit. I have a group that is figuring out whose rooming with who and where so we were just trying to make sure who would be taking point for the hotels we got notification for on Tuesday.

As comicconfamily family and jopari (zen master and teacher of the old comic-con speed entry system) graciously pointed out that it is incredibly easy to do if the deposit hasn't been made and that the name of the primary reservation holder can be done at the time of making the deposit.

*Revised Note* Also props to Angie... I have coordinated exchanges as well as given hotel reservations to people who had none over the last few years but I hadn't had to deal with doing them directly for myself (and my trio of travelling companions) in the lottery era.

Thanks good people!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:35:53 AM by The Camping Out Op »

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #1769 on: April 17, 2019, 09:45:52 AM »
Ever since Hotelpocalypse moved to a lottery system, the fastest time we've gotten in was like 9:06am... which has never resulted in anything. Miraculously, we got in almost immediately this year! I never even saw the running man. Didn't see a Captcha screen, for those wondering. According to Chrome, our time in was 9:00:55, and submission was 9:02:42. We got our first choice of MMM. So, we're happy :)