Author Topic: Masquerade, Ballroom 20, 8:30pm-11:30pm  (Read 10011 times)

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
Masquerade, Ballroom 20, 8:30pm-11:30pm
« on: June 10, 2012, 01:55:43 PM »
8:30-11:30 HBO Presents the Comic-Con Masquerade- Fabulous original and re-created costumes crafted by our talented attendees will be showcased on stage before an audience of thousands, with impressive awards and cash prizes bestowed to those judged most outstanding. Doors will open for audience seating at 7:45 pm, but the line will start much earlier! Tickets will be required for seating and will be given out free to those lining up near Ballroom 20 beginning at 2:00 Saturday. Any tickets left over after that will be available at the Masquerade Desk after 4:00. The MCs will once again be writers/artists Phil Foglio and Kaja Foglio of Studio Foglio. (Overflow seating available in Rooms 5AB, 6A and in the Sails Pavilion; tickets not required for overflow areas) Ballroom 20

Hi, I know last year Comic-Con provided rooms where fans can watch the Masquerade through a simulcast.  Is there any way for us fans to watch the Masquerade in person?  If so, is it just like waiting in line for a panel?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:21:11 AM by Chris Hagish »
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
Re: Is the Masquerade open to spectators?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 03:12:21 PM »
Yeah you have to get a ticket sometime Saturday afternoon for it to watch it in person. The booth is usually next to Ballroom 20.
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Masquerade, Ballroom 20, 8:30pm-11:30pm
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:24:49 PM »

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:00:56 PM »
Yeah you have to get a ticket sometime Saturday afternoon for it to watch it in person. The booth is usually next to Ballroom 20.

When do people start lining up for tickets?
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 07:21:37 PM »
I'm waiting for Chris H. to chime in, he know's the in's and out's of the Masquerade.  He's gone to a bunch of them

eta
from the cci web site;
" and the audience of 4,000 who have lined up for many hours in advance takes their seats for the annual Masquerade costume show."
"The audience fills Ballroom 20 to capacity, and over 2,000 more people watch the show on large video screens in the nearby Sails Pavilion and other ballrooms."
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 06:49:14 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 12:03:41 PM »
Yes and no. There's a designated time and place where they hand out masquerade tickets on the second floor. I think that takes place earlier in the day and people can line up waaaaay early. Check the daily newsletter/ ask. There's usually a booth/poster at the designated spot. Once you get the ticket, you'll have to line up for the masquerade line to get into Ballroom 20. If you want good seats then I suggest you get in line a few hours early. We usually go into the Sails Pavilion due to access to food and the atmosphere is different. That is a first come/ first serve line and no tickets. We usually leave the exhibit hall 1-3 hours early depending on how much we want to see it up close and our tiredness level. I believe they also have more, smaller rooms also. There's also a replay the next day.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:05:47 PM by tehlilone »

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 12:29:02 PM »
Yes and no. There's a designated time and place where they hand out masquerade tickets on the second floor. I think that takes place earlier in the day and people can line up waaaaay early. Check the daily newsletter/ ask. There's usually a booth/poster at the designated spot. Once you get the ticket, you'll have to line up for the masquerade line to get into Ballroom 20. If you want good seats then I suggest you get in line a few hours early. We usually go into the Sails Pavilion due to access to food and the atmosphere is different. That is a first come/ first serve line and no tickets. We usually leave the exhibit hall 1-3 hours early depending on how much we want to see it up close and our tiredness level. I believe they also have more, smaller rooms also. There's also a replay the next day.

Thanks.
D23 Expo 2017

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 02:00:29 PM »
Ok so to start lets get some things out there.  Masquerade is open to spectators.  You do have to have a Ticket to get in.  You do have to enter by a set time period or they will let non ticket holders in to fill your spot.  There are two ways to get tickets for masquerade, the first which is basically fool-proof is to get your butt in line before hand out.  The line is the people you see sitting against the outer wall  started at ballroom 20 and heading down to 26ab.  Handout is around 2pm give or take an hour depending on the year and if they feel they need to clear out some of the line (a good number of people after getting tickets will leave the line allowing those staying in line to move up and take up less space).  The second way is after tickets have been handed out to those in line, you simply go towards the front of ballroom 20 and there is a masquerade booth hop in a short line and ask for a ticket IF they have any left.

After you have your ticket its up to you what you want to do.  For the best spots you want to get and stay in line early.  If all you care about is being in the room and near a screen you can wait till later say 5-6pm to get back in line.  Finally if you just want to get in there and don't care about where, say as a single person or a small group, come at 7:30pm.

Personally i am in line from say midday on. I get to rest, plan my last day and get great pics of Cos-players and casual con goers alike.  Friends bring me food and cover my bathroom breaks between their panels, in return i let them jump in line with me when it comes time to get tickets or be let in.  Do keep in mind that people will line cut like no other to join friends be ok with it cause someday it will be you needed to join back into line with friends. Watching masquerade with friends is about 100times better.
"Two months of build up, One week of bliss, Two months of afterglow, Eight months of withdrawal"
-Chris Hagish

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 02:44:54 PM »
Ballroom 20 also has multi viewing screens, so no matter how far you are from the stage, you get a good view of the show
"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 04:33:10 PM »
Good view is nice but a great view and being close enough to see other things going on on stage makes for a better night
"Two months of build up, One week of bliss, Two months of afterglow, Eight months of withdrawal"
-Chris Hagish

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 01:40:18 PM »
Thanks for the tips Chris, it's appreciated!   :)

Do keep in mind that people will line cut like no other to join friends be ok with it cause someday it will be you needed to join back into line with friends. Watching masquerade with friends is about 100times better.

That is by far a very controversial issue for me.  It's understandable that friends want to be with friends so they all want to go together, but I also feel it's unfair to those who don't go with a lot of friends who got in line first.  A couple of years ago, I was in line for a political rally and I got there early so I was close to the head of the line.  Suddenly, a big entourage of people who apparently were friends with only a couple of people ahead of me got in line ahead of me and many others who got in line before the entourage arrived.  This made a lot of people mad.  One person went to an LAPD cop and explained the situation and the cop told the entourage to get to the back of the line.

But if this is common in Comic-Con lines, then I guess I'll just swallow my pride and grudgingly accept it.  Actually I thank you for letting me know about it so I won't be too upset when that happens.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:22:48 PM by Andrew Costa Mesa »
D23 Expo 2017

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 10:50:12 PM »
Agreed on the line cutting, i still to this day have little spazzes when my friends tell me to line cut with them.  I will do it from time to time like say the WB swag line or something were one member just happen to move faster then the others.  As for others joining me i make sure its a small number of good friends, or others who had been in line with me before hand that left for a panel or food.  I also try to warn the people behind me, just a small heads up that i have 5 friends that will be stopping off at different times during the day and will join me in line at the end. 

Still keep your ideals tho....if all of a sudden you get line jumped by 20 people call them out on it. Its one thing for some friends to join you its another with everybody and their hairdresser are jumping in.
-Chris Hagish

The Gossamer

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 07:17:49 AM »
I find that line cutting is just part of the process that comes with the events. I have done this also but the most is two people. I always just figure when you get in line early and say there is 50 people in front just double that amount to cover the line cutters that are due to arrive. I do agree that when a large crowd shows up to line cut in one group that just outright sucks.
 For the masquerade I split my time where someone waits for the tickets in line then join them later. I've seen some people line up way early around noon just to get a good seat. Also there is a limit for how many tickets one person can receive for absent friends. I think it was 2 extra tickets plus the one for yourself. This is of course subject to change. In the past Pros could get tickets early at a specific time frame the same day before they (tickets) were passed out to the general attendees. This procedure may still be in place.

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 07:41:29 AM »
Did anyone see the Cleveland Show episode "Hot CoCoa Brown" when there were at comic-con? Great insight to the line jumping, and they even had the fountain down at the Santa Fe depot correct. They did their research for that episode!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:05:32 PM by MegaDoug »
"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 08:01:25 AM »
Line cutting is mixed for me at SDCC. It's understandable if (1) They were there and left for a little while to get food/get someone/use restroom (2) They have a ticket for a ticketed event (3) The people in line told the people behind then the approx. number of people coming (4) They're in line for the Sails Pavilion for the masquerade. People will save entire tables so it doesn't matter.

Offline kappolo

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
I am not planning to attend the masquerade in person.
Is there usually seats in the rooms where the masquerade is "streamed"? In which rooms is the masquerade displayed?
Thanks