Author Topic: Wondercon: traveling advice?  (Read 15608 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Wondercon: traveling advice?
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2016, 01:04:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, it looks like it's $46 each way which puts it a little into the crazy realm and since Saturday is sold out now......not sure I wanna lay that kind cash down to travel just for the Sunday.

You could always buy a 3 day badge...   >:D

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2016, 12:40:08 PM »
Seeing all of you is what's making me want to go, to be honest!
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #77 on: Today at 09:54:07 AM »

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2016, 12:41:49 PM »
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline malarrya

• Exhibit Hall
  • I'm pretty good with a bo-staff.
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2016, 01:24:47 PM »
Alyssa and others travelling into LA early... One thing I really love doing in LA that's 100% FREE is seeing a sitcom taping.
You Can look here for tickets:

Furthermore, I'll let you in on a little secret. If you want to see a taping of The Big Bang Theory you need to follow these simple instructions:

1. Regular tickets are almost never available for TBBT but often times STANDBY tickets are.
2. Check OFTEN especially MONDAY mornings for STANDBY tickets. SHOWTIMES are usually around 6 PM on TUESDAYS
3. If you get a STANDBY ticket you really should get in line by 10-11 AM if you want any chance of getting in <------------- VERY IMPORTANT
4. If you are travelling alone from out of state, TBBT LOVES THIS. EMAIL the website and/or WB studios and VERY NICELY ask for a ticket to a taping (saying you're a first-timer to LA).
5. There are quite a few they can hand out, it just means those who already have a standby may not get in (hence get in line early as explained in #3 above).

if you give it a try, GOOD LUCK!

Larry

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention... WB Studios is AWESOME and it's about 1 mile away from UNIVERSAL CITY WALK and UNIVERSAL STUDIOS. This is actually something great to spend a day doing in LA.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 01:33:42 PM by malarrya »
Twitter/Facebook: malarrya
SDCC 2006-2019 | WonderCon 2012-2016 | StarCon Pasadena 1996-98 | ECCC 2013 | Comikaze 2013 | ScareLA 2015 | Star Wars Celebration 2007, 2015

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2016, 03:56:26 PM »
If any of you are traveling from LAX to a hotel in Downtown L.A., here are some tips about saving money on your way there:

Instead of using the SuperShuttle from LAX, you can use the FlyAway shuttle to go to Union Station in Downtown L.A.

The ride is $9.00 one way, and it takes about 35 to 40 minutes, depending on freeway traffic on the way.

They take Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit or debit cards.

Here's the website: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
(Scroll down to look at the information about departure times from LAX.)

You can purchase a ticket online if you want to save time: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  *RECOMMENDED!*

It's been a few years since I took the FlyAway from LAX, but I believe this is the process:

If you're coming from LAX, you get on the FlyAway shuttle at one of these locations (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login FlyAway is the green circle).  Then, the FlyAway will take you to Union Station in Downtown L.A.  You get off the shuttle and grab your suitcases (the driver keeps them in the cargo compartment on the bus), and then you go to the ticket booth to pay for your trip. 

It's still $9.00 either way, whether you pay online or at the ticket booth after your trip from LAX.  I personally recommend doing it online and making sure you have your receipt to show the FlyAway staff so that you don't have to worry about waiting in line for the ticket booth.  There's usually only one person processing the payments there, plus the driver that manned the shuttle.

Side note:
They might ask for payment on the shuttle before you leave LAX, but I haven't had this experience in the past.  (In my case, I've always paid for my ticket when the shuttle arrived at Union Station, but the process may be different nowadays, so just beware of that.)  If they ask for payment on the bus, they only take Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit or debit cards.  No cash is accepted.

From Union Station, you can take the DASH or the Metro rail to get to your hotel.

See my other post about the DASH here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This post talks about going to the convention center from Union Station, but you can use the Trip Planner links and DASH map provided to customize your trip for your particular hotel.

DASH website: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
DASH service routes, times, and map: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
DASH Downtown website: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here's the L.A. Metro public transportation trip planner for reference: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You can also go in the opposite direction by taking the DASH and/or Metro rail (or a local Downtown bus) to Union Station and then using the FlyAway again to get back to LAX.  The first link in this post has all of that information as well: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hope this helps someone out!  ^__^d
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 04:10:37 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2016, 07:45:44 AM »
Alyssa and others travelling into LA early... One thing I really love doing in LA that's 100% FREE is seeing a sitcom taping.
You Can look here for tickets:

Furthermore, I'll let you in on a little secret. If you want to see a taping of The Big Bang Theory you need to follow these simple instructions:

1. Regular tickets are almost never available for TBBT but often times STANDBY tickets are.
2. Check OFTEN especially MONDAY mornings for STANDBY tickets. SHOWTIMES are usually around 6 PM on TUESDAYS
3. If you get a STANDBY ticket you really should get in line by 10-11 AM if you want any chance of getting in <------------- VERY IMPORTANT
4. If you are travelling alone from out of state, TBBT LOVES THIS. EMAIL the website and/or WB studios and VERY NICELY ask for a ticket to a taping (saying you're a first-timer to LA).
5. There are quite a few they can hand out, it just means those who already have a standby may not get in (hence get in line early as explained in #3 above).

if you give it a try, GOOD LUCK!

Larry

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention... WB Studios is AWESOME and it's about 1 mile away from UNIVERSAL CITY WALK and UNIVERSAL STUDIOS. This is actually something great to spend a day doing in LA.
thx [member=857]malarrya[/member] !

I'm not going to be in LA on a tuesday night tho, drat!  it would have been fun to see a taping
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2016, 12:33:11 AM »
For people staying in LA for Wondercon, I recommend staying in populated areas after the hours of Wondercon and not staying outside of the hotel for too long at night. It's not unlikely to run into someone in LA who wants to mug you at nighttime
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2016, 12:54:34 AM »
In any large city, it's always a good idea to travel in pairs or groups after dark, just to be safe.  I would even recommend this in Anaheim or San Diego.  (I have yet to hear of any muggings at night when a convention is in town--I've attended conventions at the LACC many, many times--but take a note of your surroundings in general.)

If you see anything suspicious, say something to the LACC security or LAPD around the convention center.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2016, 10:54:39 AM »
I know this is probably a dumb question - but here it goes anyway.

For those that live or drive to LA on a regular basis - Is it even possible to drive up to LA from San Diego on late Thursday afternoon without hitting massive stop and go traffic on the freeway (5-to-10-to-110-to-Pico)?

My choice is either drive to LA on Thursday Afternoon or Drive up really early on Friday Morning. Train is not possible for me because its costs more for me to get to the train station from my house ($40-$50)  than the train tickets to LA costs (less than $40).

Offline malarrya

• Exhibit Hall
  • I'm pretty good with a bo-staff.
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2016, 02:06:08 PM »
Here's a tip I found for eating on the cheap but it's really good. Go to The Artisan pizza place next door to Smashburger. Order the kids pizza.  It comes with a drink for $6 and it's perfect!
Twitter/Facebook: malarrya
SDCC 2006-2019 | WonderCon 2012-2016 | StarCon Pasadena 1996-98 | ECCC 2013 | Comikaze 2013 | ScareLA 2015 | Star Wars Celebration 2007, 2015

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2016, 03:57:05 PM »
I know this is probably a dumb question - but here it goes anyway.

For those that live or drive to LA on a regular basis - Is it even possible to drive up to LA from San Diego on late Thursday afternoon without hitting massive stop and go traffic on the freeway (5-to-10-to-110-to-Pico)?

My choice is either drive to LA on Thursday Afternoon or Drive up really early on Friday Morning. Train is not possible for me because its costs more for me to get to the train station from my house ($40-$50)  than the train tickets to LA costs (less than $40).

A belated reply, but for reference in the future, the answer is very unlikely.  Rush hour in the general L.A. area pretty much starts around 4:00 PM, so you will be hitting traffic on your way to the Los Angeles Convention Center in the late afternoon.  The best time to travel to Downtown L.A. from San Diego--during the day--is really around 11:00 AM.  Otherwise, super early in the morning (around 4 or 5:00 AM starting in San Diego to avoid the rush hour traffic) or late at night after 9:00 PM is best.