Author Topic: The NYCC ticket sale statement --- Please read---Updated 5.14.15  (Read 4707 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
To every one in the buying groups or folk who bought for others

Due to the sale difficulties and the fact that some folks bought multiple times, I am concerned orders may get canceled.

Until we see how it plays out, I am recommending folks pause, and wait for the dust to settle. I expect a statment from Reed Pop.

Personally, I was unable to complete a sale despite having passes in my cart on three separate occasions.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 08:00:59 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: The NYCC ticket sale statement --- Please read
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 02:05:18 PM »
Thanks Alyssa.  Looking forward to hearing what they say as well.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
Re: The NYCC ticket sale statement --- Please read
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 08:00:13 AM »
I just got off the phone with Reed Pop.  I spoke with them regarding scalping & multiple orders from one person.

I first stated that i had numerous problems during the tix sale & a friend had helped me out.  We went through the acct & made changes so that there wouldn't be an issue with my CC/Shipping, etc.

i went on to say i supported the scalping policy of nycc but due to the problems yesterday another friend of mine had jumped in and placed 3 orders for other friends.  We are now worried that those orders might get flagged as 'scalping'.  I asked if there was any way to change the name/info on the order to someone else so that the person who wanted the tix could handle their own order.  Again stating that this was not a scalping situation.

The CS agent said there wasn't any way of changing an order **but** that the person who placed the order should email them at   [email protected] and tell them what happened. Please include the order numbers and if possible the receiving person's name & email. they could put it into the notes section.  I got the impression that there was some wiggle room due to the problems.

the nycc cs phone number is 888.605.6059

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Simon

• Exhibit Hall
    • Video Game Tidbits
  • Liked: 15
Re: The NYCC ticket sale statement --- Please read---Updated 5.14.15
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 10:03:27 AM »
They just made a public posting about the ticket sales. I think as long as you order under the max amount; you should be fine.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

"We will comb through those sites and attempt to get tickets removed. We review the data of ticket purchasers and cross check names, addresses, email, credit cards and then remove and ban where we find people trying to buy tickets over the maximum allowed. In short, we are as frustrated by people selling tickets at an inflated price as you are."
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 10:09:54 AM by Simon »

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 10:37:14 AM »
Thanks @Simon!

text for archive:

"A Statement About New York Comic Con 2015 Tickets

Dear New York Comic Con Fans,

On Wednesday at noon Eastern Time we put tickets for the 10th edition of New York Comic Con on sale and after months of preparation and close working sessions with our ticketing vendor we almost immediately saw something was not right. I know you saw it too. This letter is an attempt to help you understand what happened, and while that still might not get you the ticket to NYCC that you wanted, we hope it will at least provide you with some portion of the explanation you deserve.

Some facts we have been able to ascertain by looking at the data:

-The demand for tickets at noon was roughly quadruple what we experienced in 2014.

-Those who were attempting to buy tickets in the queue know that it took several hours to move through the queue and received error messages along the way. This was a direct effect of an unexpected and unforeseen slowdown of the system.

-What is important to note is that regardless of the slowdown and error activity, when the queue opened at noon, there were already more individuals “in line” than there were VIP, 3-Day, 4-Day and Saturday tickets combined. This means that beginning at 12:01 demand had already outstripped the supply of tickets. Thus even without the challenges we experienced unexpectedly, there was not a guarantee that people “in line” at 12:01 would receive the exact ticket types they so craved.

-The queue slow down lasted until about 3pm. At that time most fans that remained in the queue or refreshed after getting an error message were able to buy whatever inventory of tickets remained. Admittedly, many ticket types were sold out due to the sheer demand for tickets.

-Now let’s talk about those ticket resellers — we don’t like them either! We know you see tickets available on reseller sites and we know how frustrating that is (especially if you did not get the tickets you wanted) and please know that we continue to be aggressive about doing all we can to deal with those resellers. We further limited quantities this year. We will comb through those sites and attempt to get tickets removed. We review the data of ticket purchasers and cross check names, addresses, email, credit cards and then remove and ban where we find people trying to buy tickets over the maximum allowed. In short, we are as frustrated by people selling tickets at an inflated price as you are.

-What can you do about those reselling tickets at inflated prices? DON’T BUY THEM! First of all, it creates a market for people to price gouge, but just as important, we will be cancelling as many of those people we can identify as ticket resellers (meaning those trying to cheat the system and buy large quantities) so you may be buying a worthless piece of paper.

edit (added text): -An event at Midtown Comics later this summer. Midtown Comics DOES NOT have tickets yet. All of the info for this event will be announced at a later date. Note that Midtown Comics is the ONLY Retail partner selling NYCC 2015 Tickets.

We are truly sorry that the ticket buying process did not go as well as we wanted and certainly not as well as you deserve. The reasons don’t matter though; we let you down and as a team, we are really, really sorry for that.  We know many of you won’t get the tickets you wanted for NYCC and for some it is because of sheer demanded for limited quantities, for some it is aggressive ticket brokers and for some it is the challenges our system had thrown at it yesterday. No matter the reason for it we want you to know that we wish we could get tickets into the hands of everyone that wants them and we are doing all we can to assure that and that we value you as fans more than you can possibly imagine and what feels the worst is that many of you don’t feel that way today.

From,
 Lance Fensterman"
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 06:50:07 AM by SamTurtledove »

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 830
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 11:42:45 AM »
They just made a public posting about the ticket sales. I think as long as you order under the max amount; you should be fine.

"We will comb through those sites and attempt to get tickets removed. We review the data of ticket purchasers and cross check names, addresses, email, credit cards and then remove and ban where we find people trying to buy tickets over the maximum allowed. In short, we are as frustrated by people selling tickets at an inflated price as you are."

Hopefully this means they are only going to go after the ones who put their tickets for sale on eBay or StubHub and not go after those who merely made multiple purchases from IP addresses alone without proof they put their tickets on reseller websites.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 830
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 12:04:21 PM »
Many people weren't satisfied with NYCC's apology/explanation.  Here's one example.

WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline karl clement

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 136
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 12:08:16 PM »
there are 312  tickets on sale on ebay Thursday 3 pm
SDCC 2013,2014,2015,2016
FanExpo  2011,2012, 2015
Montreal CC  2011, 2013
Ottawa CC 2013
Cornwall CAPE 2015, 2016

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 12:18:41 PM »
Many people weren't satisfied with NYCC's apology/explanation.  Here's one example.

As long as no one overreacts  ::)

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 01:18:09 PM »
They should just go the Member ID route. The scalping on ebay is just insane.

Offline karl clement

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 136
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 01:39:02 PM »
a kids sunday ticket was selling for $59
SDCC 2013,2014,2015,2016
FanExpo  2011,2012, 2015
Montreal CC  2011, 2013
Ottawa CC 2013
Cornwall CAPE 2015, 2016

Offline NYRider

• Hall H
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 01:54:13 PM »
If Reedpop, cancels any of those ticket orders on listed ebay or stubhub, the buyer's aren't getting passes.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 03:22:44 PM »

They should just go the Member ID route. The scalping on ebay is just insane.
Agreed. Maybe they can tie a unique identifier to the purchasers' email address. Then have an onsite registration verification. This may help whittle down the resellers a bit.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 04:26:58 PM »
the numbers are interesting:

-The demand for tickets at noon was roughly quadruple what we experienced in 2014.
I don't think we cant say that exactly.  According to Lance we know there were 4 times as many computers logged on attempting to get tix.  How many people had more then one computer logged on trying for tix?  I had two.
I venture to say there were more people trying on line because there weren't any brick&morter sales but I don't think we can say there were 4 time as many people trying.

-What is important to note is that regardless of the slowdown and error activity, when the queue opened at noon, there were already more individuals “in line” than there were VIP, 3-Day, 4-Day and Saturday tickets combined. This means that beginning at 12:01 demand had already outstripped the supply of tickets. Thus even without the challenges we experienced unexpectedly, there was not a guarantee that people “in line” at 12:01 would receive the exact ticket types they so craved.

I think it's worth wild to re-state that more computers were in line at noon.  We don't know how many actual people were in line. 
Unless the total number of completed sale's is the number of people logged on at noon.  But that wouldn't account for the people who had multiple computers.

Offline bradk

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 04:32:37 PM »
I too had both my PC and phone going. Though there was certainly enough demand that the phone ended up making zero difference. it was still in queue even after I completed the purchase on PC.