Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion  (Read 57948 times)

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
Re: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion
« Reply #525 on: July 22, 2019, 11:39:32 PM »
I worked BBL handouts. We had a "competition" who could hand out the most bags. So we started waving our bags and trying to entice attendees to come to us.

All the bags around me were either Team Coco and Doom Patrol and Steven Universe, with very little else. When someone asked if I had something else, I didn't outright say no, but I just said, "Well, there's a huge line of us. Maybe you'll find what you want at the end."

I actually worked only about 2 hours, as they were slow in getting us to Sails, and they let us out a half hour early because a new shift had come. Overall, easy peasy, well worth the free t-shirt and the priority volunteer for next year.

Offline ccparka

• Exhibit Hall
    • Vertical Slice Media
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #526 on: July 23, 2019, 05:04:23 AM »
I only worked Friday night since I won badges through the auction, and I got line management. I had heard this is the easiest/the most boring shift you can get, but I happened to get line management for the World Premiere of Batman: Hush, and I got placed inside Ballroom 20 so I actually got to watch the world premiere and just handed out bathroom passes for two hours. All in all a very easy gig. Just wish I hadn't been working for the entire day before having to stand another 3 hours straight.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #527 on: Today at 03:51:02 PM »

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #527 on: July 23, 2019, 06:02:37 AM »
I had a great time with my two days of volunteering in which I was wearing a orange vest and taking volunteers to their assignments. The three hours went by fast and I got to meet some wonderful people. This was my first time volunteering and I will definitely do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #528 on: July 23, 2019, 09:06:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Since the computers weren’t set up to distribute Volunteer shirt cards, I didn’t get one that day. When I went to Volunteer check in get my shirt card on Sunday, I was kinda yelled at for not having a Volunteer badge (as I never had one.. didn’t need it as a Pro. Yes, I’m a Pro and I continue to volunteer). The Volunteer supe was talking to me like I did something wrong. It was weird.

I think the thing is that the the t-shirt coupon comes with the volunteer badge.  It's all printed out together.  So that's why it's a good idea to get checked in as a volunteer and get your volunteer badge.  The other benefit is that you can go get another bag. ;)

Was it a "real" supe or a newly minted departmental volunteer?  Just because they are wearing a green shirt doesn't mean they know what they are doing.  The self reflective ones will tell you that.  That departmental or daily, we are all just volunteers and may not know what's going on.  I've known dailies that knew more about how a department runs than their team lead.  I've run into newly minted departmental volunteers where that con they were working was the first comic-con they've ever been to.

Many times, the staff with the most experience don't even wear a green shirt.  This year where I was working, there was a situation.  I asked 3 different green shirts what we should do.  I got various forms of "I don't know."  With 15 people staring at me with a WTH is going on look on their faces, it was left to me to make the call.  I did.  Later I found a non green shirted staff and told them what happened and how I solved it.  I got a "Sounds good."
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 09:21:50 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #529 on: July 23, 2019, 09:20:51 AM »
I actually worked only about 2 hours, as they were slow in getting us to Sails, and they let us out a half hour early because a new shift had come. Overall, easy peasy, well worth the free t-shirt and the priority volunteer for next year.

It really depends on the person coordinating the area.  Some will keep people there all 3 hours.  I've done a shift where my sole activity was siting on the concrete floor up in sails for 3 hours.  Others will release them early if there's nothing to do.  I've cut people loose 20 minutes into a shift because there was simply no job for them.  On the other hand, I've done a 4 hour shift because no one showed up to replace me.  I won't walk away from a post until someone shows up to take over.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #530 on: July 23, 2019, 07:40:39 PM »
Just curious, were the blinky blinks volunteer, or were they SDCC staff?

I don't recall, but there seemed to be a lot more of them this year than past years, sprinkled all along the pier, guiding people to where the actual wristbands were.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #531 on: July 25, 2019, 06:36:30 AM »
I had a pre-con shift on Wednesday morning in the MMM volunteer check-in area.  We were taking the paperwork and sorting them into piles doing some filing.  It was fun because we were behind the desks and the folk I worked with were nice to chat with and we had a good time.  Worked the full 3 hours, and a couple of days later, I got my t shirt.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #532 on: July 29, 2019, 08:54:50 AM »
How was everyone's experience volunteering this year?

It was great! I only did Saturday 9:30am for the program premium room at the Hyatt. When I checked in I requested to be there, I love working there going on 4 years straight now.
I was opening the boxes for the GOT swag and refill the tables. Also, we had a competition on which side gave out more GOT bags, so I was yelling "Game of thrones over here this side!!"
So time went by fast and kept busy, Fun times :D 

Offline wolfgirl1272

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 64
« Reply #533 on: July 29, 2019, 01:19:25 PM »
It was great! I only did Saturday 9:30am for the program premium room at the Hyatt. When I checked in I requested to be there, I love working there going on 4 years straight now.
I was opening the boxes for the GOT swag and refill the tables. Also, we had a competition on which side gave out more GOT bags, so I was yelling "Game of thrones over here this side!!"
So time went by fast and kept busy, Fun times :D
That sounds like a lot of fun. I have to do a volunteer shift at least once.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #534 on: July 30, 2019, 04:22:00 AM »
There is something about volunteering that makes me feel more whole at SDCC. Do I like getting the free exclusive shirt?  Sure.  Yet being part of the show means much more to me.  This year I didn't need the free day, and surely was glad about that, but who knows about next year?  SDCC is my primary vacation time!
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Karin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #535 on: August 01, 2019, 11:07:34 AM »
I did a pre-con shift where I sat in a chair in the volunteer department and let other volunteers knows were to go.

And I did a Friday shift with my mom for the first time where, suprise suprise, we just sat outside ballroom 20 and waitied for about 30 minutes after waiting 30 minutes in the volunteer department and they let use go. For some reason this has happened to my volunteer shift for the last 4 years.

Kind of a boring year, I really like when I get to give the bags or prep them. 

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #536 on: August 01, 2019, 03:11:06 PM »
Not sure if true, but seems u able do same job ea day if by chance fill in space where it needed if early or later.  use to try do mid day but things have changed and so did some later and some early so have rest day free