Author Topic: WonderCon March 31-April 2 2017 Chat  (Read 38516 times)

Offline Godolphin

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 191
Re: WonderCon March 31-April 2 2017 Chat
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2017, 08:31:15 AM »
Ok, thanks for the info. I'm trying to book flights, it would help if they posted the opening times soon.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2017, 03:10:38 PM »
Should be fun to see this site's seventh expansion in progress...

From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

David Meek looked up at the scaffolding and marveled at the construction workers balancing on narrow steel beams as they hammered away on the towering new wing of the Anaheim Convention Center. Standing outside on what will be a 1,350-space parking garage, Meek, a manager at the Convention Center, said he enjoys checking out the daily progress of the site, which is slated to open in September. “I’m just one of those guys who loves watching how things get built,” Meek said during a recent tour. “I can’t wait until the steel goes up.” The $190 million expansion will add more than 200,000 square feet of meeting space. It is right on schedule, Meek said, and already booked for several big shows a month after it opens, including by the American Heart Association in November. The Convention Center hosts about 190 conventions year and attracts more than 1 million guests. The 1.6 million-square-foot facility is already the largest convention center on the West Coast. Since it first opened in 1967, the center has had six expansions. This is the seventh. The latest 450,000-square-foot expansion features additional exhibit halls, meeting spaces, a balcony and a lobby area.

From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

How will Anaheim pay for the ACC expansion?

The ability to expand the ACC was made possible by the creation of the Anaheim Tourism Improvement District (ATID). In 2010 hoteliers within the Resort and Platinum Triangle agreed to self-assess 2% of hotel room rent to pay for the Visitor and Convention Bureau’s (VCB) marketing and promotion of the Anaheim destination. Since the city is no longer responsible for paying this cost (approximately $6 million in 2010), the city committed to re-dedicating those funds to the expansion of the ACC. Ultimately, the amount of city funds formerly committed to marketing and promotions will, over time, cover the entire cost of the new expansion.

Additionally, the city will be able to take advantage of historically low interest rates — which are lower today than they are 90% of the time.

Taxpayers will not have to pay any additional funds for the expansion of the ACC and the General Fund will not incur any added annual debt service.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #92 on: Today at 04:48:48 PM »

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2017, 11:28:25 AM »
[member=283]Devorah[/member] or [member=317]Zero[/member] - Can I get a calendar link for WonderCon? There doesn't seem to be a board moderator for the WonderCon board for me to ask. Thanks!

On topic-I so wish I could go to this one. I have been jealously reading all of your posts. It's just too close to Gally One for a trip to the west coast. Someday!!
Ang

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2017, 11:32:19 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
[member=283]Devorah[/member] or [member=317]Zero[/member] - Can I get a calendar link for WonderCon? There doesn't seem to be a board moderator for the WonderCon board for me to ask. Thanks!

I am on it!

All done :)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2017, 11:39:08 AM »

BB-8 knows that #WCA is only 8 weeks away and that #WCLA was a Wonderful time. #FlashbackFriday 📷: S. Lazaro © 2016 WCLA

WonderCon Anaheim 2017 press application is OPEN! Detailed info on how to be considered for a #WCA press badge @ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 01:23:59 PM by AzT »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2017, 02:35:11 PM »
i've made a separate Press thread-   ;)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2017, 12:59:13 PM »

WonderCon Anaheim will once again host the Comic Creator Connection, an event that puts writers and artists together to see whether they can find their creative counterparts. Here's how it works: in two 2-hour sessions-on Friday, March 31 and Sunday, April 2-writers and artists can sit down and meet each other in a neutral environment. In 5-minute sessions, you can talk one-on-one with individual prospective collaborators about their ideas and skills. At the end of each 5-minute period, you will get up and move on to the next person. If you're interested in furthering the conversation, you place your contact info (name and email address) on a supplied card for that prospective partner.

Click here to visit the WonderCon Anaheim CCC page for complete info on how to participate. We recommend signing up in advance to reserve your space. While space may be available onsite, preferred seating at WCA’s Comic Creator Connection is given to pre-registered writers and artists.

(Please note: All participants in WonderCon Anaheim Comic Creator Connection must have purchased a single-day badge to the day in which they would like to participate or a 3-day badge to WonderCon Anaheim.)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2017, 10:59:53 AM »

We’ve updated our WonderCon Anaheim Games page with some exciting news about the tournaments and game demonstrations you can look forward to at the big event, March 31—April 2 at the Anaheim Convention Center. Twenty companies will participate in game demos, and there’s a full schedule of sanctioned tournaments, including all your faves, like HeroClix, Magic The Gathering, Pokémon, and more! Click here to visit the WCA Games page for complete info … and get your game on at WonderCon 2017!

Our special guests list is now complete, but there are a couple of notes you should be aware of when you’re buying badges. Most of our guests will be appearing all 3 days of WonderCon, but there are a few that have limited schedules, which you might want to keep in mind when purchasing badges. They are:

Kevin Eastman - Appearing Saturday and Sunday only
Jim Lee - Appearing Friday and Saturday only
Gerard Way - Appearing Friday and Saturday only
We will update guest info if it changes. Click here to see our complete WonderCon Anaheim 2017 special guests list. Also, see the last paragraph below to follow us on social media for updates!

Speaking of badges, they’re still available, but going fast! More info on buying badges for WonderCon Anaheim 2017 is available by clicking here, but lock in your WCA visit now so you can make sure you get what you want. Each year the show sells out, and usually the 3-Day and Saturday badges are the first to go. We thoroughly recommend the 3-Day badge … it’s going to be a great show this year as we return to Anaheim!

Likewise, there are still some WonderCon Anaheim 2017 hotel rooms available, but they’re also going fast with at least one hotel already sold out. If you’re coming for all 3 days, or planning a 2-day stay, now is the time to get that hotel room reserved. Click here for info on how to reserve a room!

Don’t forget the WonderCon Anaheim 2017 Masquerade! The deadline for applying as a contestant for the big Saturday night event in the Anaheim Convention Center Arena is about a month away on March 17, so get your application in soon, as the Masquerade tends to fill up quickly with contestants. Complete info is on our WC 2017 Masquerade page … click here to visit it!

And finally, add us to your social media apps! WonderCon is on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Follow or like us on all 3, and bookmark Toucan for all the latest info on WonderCon Anaheim 2017 (and, of course, Comic-Con International, too!).

PS … Stay tuned for next Wednesday (Feb. 22) when we reveal this year’s amazing WonderCon Anaheim 2017 Program Book cover art and T-shirt design!

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2017, 11:12:29 AM »
Nothing on Pro-reg?

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2017, 11:29:53 AM »
Nothing on Pro-reg?

Stuck in neutral: "will open in early 2017."

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2017, 11:21:51 PM »
Pro Reg started today
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline rando

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2017, 01:56:21 PM »
If anyone is interested in the Anaheim Hilton for Wed and Thurs nights (it was sold out earlier) I was just able to add those days to my reservation.

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • By what right does the wolf judge the lion?
    • FoCC Blog Articles - mlgagne
  • Liked: 882
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2017, 02:12:30 PM »
If anyone is interested in the Anaheim Hilton for Wed and Thurs nights (it was sold out earlier) I was just able to add those days to my reservation.

Thanks for the heads up, [member=846]rando[/member]!

[member=1]alyssa[/member]  ;)
SDCC: 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019
WonderCon: 2017 | 2018 | 2019
NYCC: 2012 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016
Walker Stalker Con: 2015 (San Diego) | 2017 (Atlanta)

Offline rando

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2017, 02:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, [member=846]rando[/member]!

[member=1]alyssa[/member]  ;)

I thought I had read/heard that some focc peeps were looking for that night as I was.   :)

eta:  yah I was concerned because the deadline for cancelling the room at the other hotel without losing the deposit is the 19th I believe.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:18:28 PM by rando »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2017, 03:53:50 PM »
eta:  yah I was concerned because the deadline for cancelling the room at the other hotel without losing the deposit is the 19th I believe.

according to the csr person i spoke while transferring my existing reservation to the hilton, I had until the 20th to cancel my Clarion reservation.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5