Author Topic: Other Conventions (not related to comic books)  (Read 11309 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Other Conventions (not related to comic books)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 07:46:49 PM »
Make sure you have something to do or a friend to talk to while you wait! It's a loooong wait...

Offline GoatCheese510

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 0
Other Conventions (not related to comic books)
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 07:49:51 PM »
Anyone ever been to the Phoenix Con?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:30:08 PM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 07:56:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Make sure you have something to do or a friend to talk to while you wait! It's a loooong wait...
Oh, I know... ;p Ha ha.  Trust me, I know.

@Tapout: You mean Phoenix Comic-Con?  I know a few of my friends have staffed there, but I've never been to it.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline GoatCheese510

• Exhibit Hall
Other Conventions (not related to comic books)
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »
@ zero, yeah that's the one. I'm making a trip to Phoenix to check it out, I've read it's pretty sweet.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 05:19:13 PM »
@ zero, yeah that's the one. I'm making a trip to Phoenix to check it out, I've read it's pretty sweet.
Yeah, it is.  It's reminiscent of SDCCI before it got too big and commercial--there was a large jump in attendance from the previous years.  I forget the actual numbers, but it was very impressive in growth. ^_^
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 09:54:03 PM »

@MegaDoug: So, the next question would be, since you mentioned going to music industry trade shows, what do you do?  Musician, sound/audio technician?

heh, all of the above! I got in one year from my bro-in-law, he works for Disney and they had a few passes to spare, one year from my church, since I play bass guitar in the worship band, and sometimes run the FOH soundboard. A former co-worker is good friends with a guy who works for the NAMM offices in Carlsbad, so that's how I got in this year. It does give one a bad case of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome)

"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 12:09:42 AM »
@ Zero & lynx - I've been to AX twice. I went to it when it took a break from Anaheim and was at Long Beach Convention Center (2007) and the LA Convention Center (2008). It kinda really sucked because the floor presence from the publishing companies in the exhibit hall was severely lacking those two years. The previous years were better according to my friend who has also stopped going to AX. One of the sponsoring publishers (Infinity Studios) actually didn't show up and went out of business several months later. Needless to say, I decided to just stick with SDCC because of my experience. Plus the scope of everything is just larger. I might give it another try but not 100% sold on it.

I'm thinking about going to D23 Expo 2013. Has anyone been to it?

Also, I forgot to mention but I get Blizzcon feed on DirectTV (mostly for the in-game stuff) but we do watch some of the convention events. I sent my boyfriend to Blizzcon in 2008 alone for his birthday. The ticket was $100 at the time and I couldn't justify spending the money for my ticket. So I settle for streaming video :)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 02:00:40 AM »
@MegaDoug: So, the next question would be, since you mentioned going to music industry trade shows, what do you do?  Musician, sound/audio technician?

heh, all of the above! I got in one year from my bro-in-law, he works for Disney and they had a few passes to spare, one year from my church, since I play bass guitar in the worship band, and sometimes run the FOH soundboard. A former co-worker is good friends with a guy who works for the NAMM offices in Carlsbad, so that's how I got in this year. It does give one a bad case of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome)
Oh, wow!  That's cool.  Ha ha, "gear acquisition syndrome."  I like that abbreviation. ;p

@ Zero & lynx - I've been to AX twice. I went to it when it took a break from Anaheim and was at Long Beach Convention Center (2007) and the LA Convention Center (2008). It kinda really sucked because the floor presence from the publishing companies in the exhibit hall was severely lacking those two years. The previous years were better according to my friend who has also stopped going to AX. One of the sponsoring publishers (Infinity Studios) actually didn't show up and went out of business several months later. Needless to say, I decided to just stick with SDCC because of my experience. Plus the scope of everything is just larger. I might give it another try but not 100% sold on it.

Also, I forgot to mention but I get Blizzcon feed on DirectTV (mostly for the in-game stuff) but we do watch some of the convention events. I sent my boyfriend to Blizzcon in 2008 alone for his birthday. The ticket was $100 at the time and I couldn't justify spending the money for my ticket. So I settle for streaming video :)
I honestly don't remember much from the Exhibit Hall back in those years, but that's mainly because I was running around staffing. (Ha ha.) I didn't get a chance to see it last year either. ;__;

I do know that last year's selection of vendors was pretty good, and the 2011 Artist Alley had been the largest the con has had ever.  They've expanded Artist Alley this year as well, so I really hope I can check it out! >__<  Man, I miss just walking around and seeing all the different types of merchandise...

Oh, nice! I didn't know that Blizzcon had simulcast on DirecTV.  What channel is that usually on?

Offline lynx

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 08:31:09 PM »
@tehlilone I went in 2007 too, but just specifically to see a concert, so I didn't get to spend much time doing other things. I think I only went into the exhibit hall once that year, so I don't remember how it compared to other years as far as industry presence. It just seemed overcrowded as usual, lol!  AX always had problems with long delays, lack of signage, technical glitches, but I always had fun. I was thinking Comic Con might be overwhelming because of the size, but realize it must be really well-run.

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 09:51:09 PM »
I honestly don't remember much from the Exhibit Hall back in those years, but that's mainly because I was running around staffing. (Ha ha.) I didn't get a chance to see it last year either. ;__;

I do know that last year's selection of vendors was pretty good, and the 2011 Artist Alley had been the largest the con has had ever.  They've expanded Artist Alley this year as well, so I really hope I can check it out! >__<  Man, I miss just walking around and seeing all the different types of merchandise...

Oh, nice! I didn't know that Blizzcon had simulcast on DirecTV.  What channel is that usually on?
Yeah I think I might give AX another chance but I think it depends on how much SDCC raises their ticket prices  :-\ As for Blizzcon, it's on demand so you have to order it. They also stream it online but both are $40.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 12:03:06 AM »
Yeah I think I might give AX another chance but I think it depends on how much SDCC raises their ticket prices  :-\ As for Blizzcon, it's on demand so you have to order it. They also stream it online but both are $40.
Hm, yeah... the SDCCI badge prices are killer. >__<  I'm so glad I don't have to worry about hotel or badges for AX. I don't think I could handle this craziness for two cons, hahahaha!

Oh, I see.  Huh, good to know. ^_^d

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
    • my music, my love
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »

Did not attend, but the only review I read was complaining about the lack of Marvel participation. They expected a bigger bang, since The Avengers wasn't big at Comic-Con, and expected a Disney-intro to this new property they owned, but the review felt they didn't do too good a job at that. Regardless, my family is Disney-centric, so we will attend if a certain family member who works for Disney can score some cheap passes for us  ;D

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 05:45:48 PM »
Here is a blast from the past-DH and I went to an X-Files convention. Met Mitch Pileggi (Skinner) and Nicholas Lea (Krycek). It was so much fun. It was here in Austin, so it was small, but intimate. We were huge fans of the show, so it was a real treat.

MegaDoug-super jealous that you got to go to NAMM! Musicians I follow on Twitter, etc. (Dave Mustaine, for example) are always posting pics. DH is a bass player, so he would love it.

Oh, I did get to go to CES in Chicago. Once with a trade badge (I used to work for Shure-they used to make home entertainment systems), and when they started let actual consumers in on Saturdays. It was way cooler with the trade badge, but fun both times.
Ang

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
    • my music, my love
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »
MegaDoug-super jealous that you got to go to NAMM! Musicians I follow on Twitter, etc. (Dave Mustaine, for example) are always posting pics. DH is a bass player, so he would love it.

Ha, its Mustaine's fault for my nick-name! A guy at work always work a MegaDeath T, so I made sure that he payed attention to the lyrics, really insightful stuff. So that guy started calling me MegaDoug, and a legend was born ;-). Mustaine's kinda local, my son saw him at the local St Arbucks drive-thru not too long ago. But yes, if I had to choose one con to attend per year, it would be NAMM for a few trips, it is pretty amazing!

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »
Ha, its Mustaine's fault for my nick-name!
I was wondering if that was the case. Great nick-name! I love Megadeth!
Ang