Author Topic: Everyone's expectations for this year's SDCC?  (Read 4750 times)

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
Re: Everyone's expectations for this year's SDCC?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2022, 10:06:11 AM »
If Comic-Con contracts into a regional show it won't be the Comic- Con, we know today. No big names, no Hollywood premiers no exclusives. Now I'm fine with that because I'm local but it won't be the pop culture phenomena that it was. And you can forget about expanding the convention center. Yes, we hard core fans will go but the people that bring in the big bucks for the city and make Hollwood pay attention may not.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2022, 10:35:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If Comic-Con contracts into a regional show it won't be the Comic- Con, we know today. No big names, no Hollywood premiers no exclusives. Now I'm fine with that because I'm local but it won't be the pop culture phenomena that it was. And you can forget about expanding the convention center. Yes, we hard core fans will go but the people that bring in the big bucks for the city and make Hollwood pay attention may not.

I don't think that's happening.  While those big players you listed aren't showing up this year, a massive player is making it's first appearance.  Apple TV+ is coming for the first time.  Comic-con is now much more of a pop culture convention than comics.  The comic aspect of comic-con has been shrinking for years.  Apple TV+ reinforces the "Hollywood" presence.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 10:59:09 AM »

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2022, 10:36:19 AM »

Those are all very good points and yes, I will feel bad for the local businesses.  I talked to the manager of one of the restaurants in the gaslamp a few years ago and she told me that the money they make from Comic Con gets them through the winter.  She said she wasn't sure if they could stay in business without comic con and I get that.

And of course the city will lose a ton of tax revenue. 

So yes, there's that.  I know a lot of people depend on comic con for their livelihoods. 

As I recall, attendance was 5000 people the first year I went.  I have a friend who went in 1973 and that was the first year they hit 1000.  That seemed like a really big deal at the time.  Now it seems like there's 1000 people manning the Image booth. 

Life is change and a series of adjustments.  We had to leave the old Convention and Performing Arts Center to move to the new Convention Center.  Then we had to adjust to the Convention Center expansion.  Then we had to adjust to having to scramble to find a place to park.  Then we had to adjust to the show selling out right before it started.   Then we had to adjust to the show selling out in 3 nanoseconds online months before it started. 

I really don't know what the future is going to bring, except I believe it's safe to say there will always be a San Diego Comic Con.  Because it was never about the money, it was never about the prestige, it was never about the crowd size.  It was a show put on by fans FOR fans and as long as there are people who love this stuff, it will continue.

I almost wish I could build a cosmic treadmill and flash forward 20 years to see what it will look like.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2022, 11:19:59 AM »
MegaCon has nowhere near the cultural clout of SDCC and there were reportedly over 100,000 attendees this year so I don’t think the mad crowds will disappear.

I do think the days of Hall H mania will disappear. There are really only three properties now that inspire any sort of rabid devotion: Marvel, Star Wars  and DC and the other studios know anything they put out will be ignored once those studios make their reveals. I mean, Hall H was walk-in and half empty when they dropped the Top Gun teaser for crying out loud!  Instead we may get long lines to Indigo or the 6 rooms for the smaller, but more rabid fan bases like Rick and Morty

As for my own enjoyment this years I’m happy with what’s revealed so far. I had very low expectations and right now, I got the 1 panel I really wanted and I’m very happy Apple TV is having a presence.

Offline Cut That Meat

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 176
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2022, 11:52:02 PM »
Hall H was walk-in and half empty when they dropped the Top Gun teaser for crying out loud!

I was so mad at myself for not sticking around after the panel that preceded it (think it was Terminator: Dark Fate) :'( I just checked my phone to see if I was in a rush to make a time-sensitive autograph signing or appointment, but nope, I guess I just really needed to wander the exhibit hall for a couple hours.
SDCC 2008, 2010-11, 2013-19, 2022-23
WC 2014-16, 2023
D23 2015, 2017, 2019, 2022
ECCC 2019

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2022, 07:03:28 AM »
Everything sounds amazing, the offsites & properties, etc.
I just don't think I will want to put the effort into seeing them. I see this as a 'me' problem not a con problem.

The only thing on my list is getting a Sig from JMS on a Babylon 5 poster.

Eta
This is what I hope doesn't happen
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 07:21:50 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2022, 07:25:50 AM »
Everything sounds amazing, the offsites & properties, etc.
I just don't think I will want to put the effort into seeing them. I see this as a 'me' problem not a con problem.

The only thing on my list is getting a Sig from JMS on a Babylon 5 poster.

Eta
This is what I hope doesn't happen

Umm...wow
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2022, 08:07:41 AM »
Umm...wow
yeah, look up the acct on twiter, the vid that the snip was taken from is scary
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2022, 09:41:45 AM »
I just watched that video... it looks like people are waiting for the hall to open. They're just standing there. It's not the actual exhibit floor.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2022, 09:59:41 AM »
Anime Expo has always been notoriously lax about crowd control. 

This was 2017.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2022, 10:00:10 AM »
I just watched that video... it looks like people are waiting for the hall to open. They're just standing there. It's not the actual exhibit floor.
the impression i got was the fire Marshal closed down entrance to the floor/hall & those people were waiting to get in. IOW, the floor was full and that was the overflow waiting to get in

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2022, 10:12:40 AM »
According to your screenshot, the video was posted at 9:44 am. That would be before the floor opens, right?

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2022, 10:13:28 AM »
yeah floor hadn't opened yet

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2022, 01:53:28 PM »
Really cannot be stressed how fortunate we are that SDCC has a competent and organized way to get people into the hall with multiple points of entry and clear queues to funnel people into. Granted, this was almost a decade ago when I came,but from what I can tell, they have not changed a bit. AX basically just lets people congregate on the first floor prior to opening. Exhibitor floor is on the second. So they block off the stairs and escalators. There's no queue, no designated lines, just they let folks mob on the first floor. Glad we don't do anything like that for SDCC. The moment they let the barriers down, its a free for all to the stairs/escalators.

Here's a twitter link with pics from the top of said stairs/escalators

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2022, 01:59:15 PM »
Really cannot be stressed how fortunate we are that SDCC has a competent and organized way to get people into the hall with multiple points of entry and clear queues to funnel people into. Granted, this was almost a decade ago when I came,but from what I can tell, they have not changed a bit. AX basically just lets people congregate on the first floor prior to opening. Exhibitor floor is on the second. So they block off the stairs and escalators. There's no queue, no designated lines, just they let folks mob on the first floor. Glad we don't do anything like that for SDCC. The moment they let the barriers down, its a free for all to the stairs/escalators.

Here's a twitter link with pics from the top of said stairs/escalators

Good grief, I grew up in NYC, yet these crowd pics at AX are...wildly too much for me. :(
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 02:10:26 PM by marcia29 »
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia