Author Topic: SDCC Parties: Tips, Tricks, & Fun Stories  (Read 97854 times)

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
Re: SDCC Parties: Tips, Tricks, & Fun Stories
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2017, 12:53:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Got my Wired confirmation as well! I wonder if they'll do anything special for the 10 year anniversary?

Omg EW party is my holy grail as well! I actually accidentally just walked in one year (2010?). I was talking and walking and fangirling with Alexander Skarsgard and I wasn't paying attention to where we were going. We parted ways, I looked up and BAM, I was in the party. I was super lame and freaked out because I didn't know anybody and left before I even got to really check it out.

A few years ago we were staying at the Hard Rock and decided to try and sneak in to EW. We made it past 3 out of the 4 checkpoints before we were booted haha! It was a weird year where they shut the party down early. Apparently James McAvoy was sloppy drunk and fell and hurt himself. :(

*takes notes* "How to get into EW party: walk in with a celebrity and act like you are with them"

Offline kittytrio

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2017, 01:17:24 PM »
*takes notes* "How to get into EW party: walk in with a celebrity and act like you are with them"

Security seems a lot tighter nowadays, but please try this and report back! :D

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #152 on: Today at 12:47:06 PM »

Offline thelisalower

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #152 on: July 14, 2017, 06:17:26 PM »
OMG you guys I get to go drink with Aisha Tyler on Saturday! But I'm sorta freaked out because I have plans to be in Hall H most of the day. Anyone else going to it that has an idea WHEN it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
  • I don't like...I obsess
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2017, 06:18:24 PM »
OMG you guys I get to go drink with Aisha Tyler on Saturday! But I'm sorta freaked out because I have plans to be in Hall H most of the day. Anyone else going to it that has an idea WHEN it is?

I was also chosen! My only guess is evening since it is cocktails.
SDCC 2013-2018 #gameofthrones #netflixoriginals #sherlocked

Offline thelisalower

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #154 on: July 14, 2017, 06:19:17 PM »
I was also chosen! My only guess is evening since it is cocktails.
I'm really hoping so! I don't want to miss the Marvel panel!

Offline everlastingwhy

• Exhibit Hall
  • TV nerd + GIFmaker
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #155 on: July 14, 2017, 08:15:21 PM »
Got my Wired confirmation as well! I wonder if they'll do anything special for the 10 year anniversary?

Omg EW party is my holy grail as well! I actually accidentally just walked in one year (2010?). I was talking and walking and fangirling with Alexander Skarsgard and I wasn't paying attention to where we were going. We parted ways, I looked up and BAM, I was in the party. I was super lame and freaked out because I didn't know anybody and left before I even got to really check it out.

A few years ago we were staying at the Hard Rock and decided to try and sneak in to EW. We made it past 3 out of the 4 checkpoints before we were booted haha! It was a weird year where they shut the party down early. Apparently James McAvoy was sloppy drunk and fell and hurt himself. :(

Do you remember what the checkpoints involved or if you have an email of who's in charge of the EW party? I've asked everyone at work but all they know is either they're not going to SDCC or they have to FILM the party so they're working and I don't have a press pass so I don't think I can just saunter in even tho I work for them

Offline azul120

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2017, 07:13:11 PM »

There was a link to an RSVP page for the 2016 EW party I found just a month ago (via blog post):

Of course the link is now expired, but if it worked, man did I miss out. Must have filled out super quick.

On the upside I'm headed to the Alpha G&S/Nerdist party on Thursday.

Offline Deathbyjackal

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 193
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2017, 12:03:04 AM »
There was a link to an RSVP page for the 2016 EW party I found just a month ago (via blog post):

Of course the link is now expired, but if it worked, man did I miss out. Must have filled out super quick.

On the upside I'm headed to the Alpha G&S/Nerdist party on Thursday.
I can tell you that the link did work...if you were in industry and approved to go to the party. I was not approved and promptly denied haha.

Offline azul120

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2017, 01:14:11 AM »
Does industry mean being part of an agency or company that does business with them?

Offline Deathbyjackal

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 193
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2017, 01:16:07 AM »
Does industry mean being part of an agency or company that does business with them?
Probably so. I did not have credentials worthy of a press pass, which I think was what this rsvp was really for last year. I got the vibe that the link should not have been public, or that access to the link should have come with a caveat that explained what it was for.

Offline kittytrio

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »
Do you remember what the checkpoints involved or if you have an email of who's in charge of the EW party? I've asked everyone at work but all they know is either they're not going to SDCC or they have to FILM the party so they're working and I don't have a press pass so I don't think I can just saunter in even tho I work for them

There is, of course, actually getting into the Hard Rock (which was easy since we were staying there), and then getting up to the fourth floor (which we nailed by having a room on the fourth floor), then you had to get some sort of fluorescent hand stamp and then you had to get past the check in table. Ultimately, the check in table will be the downfall if your name isn't on the list. I had two different people try and pluck me from the check in table and bring me in with them, but it was a fail since they were shutting down the party early. One of these days........

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2017, 01:40:14 PM »
There's no party recap thread, so I thought I'd post here.

Overall, I think I applied for too many parties because I ended up not doing a few.  I have a friend with whom we like to have some quiet dinners and I still wanted to do those.

Wired Cafe:  Because it is flexible when you can go and how long to stay, I did go all three days for about an hour each time.  Two times, I had to get in a line.  Once, I walked right in.  I found the food to be a little skimpier this year.  But, the booze was free-flowing.  They also had a good brand selection on the booze.  The whole thing promoted Mr. Mercedes, the new Audience show.  I didn't have any sightings of celebrities I recognized.

Buzzfeed/CW Party: This was at the Altitude Lounge on a hotel rooftop.  When I got there (a little late), there was a line to get in because it was at capacity.  It took about an hour to get up there.  It was merely OK.  It doesn't take much to get to capacity because the rooftop is small.  Booze and food were decent and the view was spectacular.  We could see the Viking funeral from far away.  They had a game to play for prizes.  Someone else one a Roku.  But, I just got an iTunes gift certificate and a t-shirt.  I didn't see any celebs I recognized.

SYFY Fan Parties:  Formerly known as NerdHQ.  I went on Thursday and Saturday.  Thursday was easier to get in.  The line was so long on Saturday, I wasn't going to go in until I took a chance on asking at the VIP entrance.  Turns out the person who invited me put me on a special list.  It didn't get me upstairs to the special VIP area, but I got in the building. 

I honestly enjoyed the Syfy version of this more than the Nerd HQ version.  Because of the lack of installations that Nerd HQ used to have, there was much more room for the party.  The three free beers was a plus.  I actually wanted a regular drink and was willing to pay for it and got one without much of a line.  The prices were reasonable.  They were handing out soft pretzels.  The 80's band on Thursday was fantastic.  The 90's band on Saturday were OK, though I like 80's better.

Another thing I noticed less of was pushing and shoving on the dance floor.  In previous years, there were a lot of Zac Levi fangirls jammed toward the front and any time Zac would come nearby, they'd push and shove to be the closest to him.  I saw less of that.  I didn't stay all night, but he came out less and I don't know if he came into the crowd at all.  Definitely going to try to go to this if they have it next year.

Nerd Nite w/ National Geographic:  LOVED this party.  I showed up early, but it didn't seem overbooked if I hadn't.  Nice crowd.  Music was "background" rather than so loud you couldn't talk.  Met some other fans and we could actually talk to each.  Good food and great open bar.

There were two parties I didn't make it to and those were the Fandom Party and the Digital LA party.  If anyone has a report on how they went, I'd be curious.  Fandom overlapped with something else and dinner with my friend.  I also wasn't confident I could even get in because I hadn't in 2016.  So, I didn't make it.  Digital LA was at the same time as Nerd Nite and I was enjoying that so much, I didn't want to leave.

Offline quixotichoco

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2017, 02:11:23 PM »
More party recap:

Funanimation party was pretty lit surprisingly. If you signed up and all that 3 free drinks. They had a dragon ice sculpture that you could pour a shot through and catch it on the bottom with your mouth!!! Now that was cool af. They had a prize wheel going and a raffle (that I  think ended up not happening because they ran out of tickets to give out??) Anime clips playing on the screen and alt rock throwback music lol. The food was pretty tasty sliders and such! Was great if you came with a cool group :) 10/10 absolutely would go again

Alpha Kraken Geek& Sundry was like kinda weird. Felt like they were trying to cater to both middle-aged nerds and young folks. (ie Fairly Odd Parents theme song with EDM beat and dropped the bass) The music was super cringey that not even the open(hosted) bar could make us stay. No food sadly. They did have cool activities like temp tats, photo booth, and strength contest and you got a cool shot glass for doing it all. 7/10 would not go alone though and would leave after getting alcohol LOL

Curious about the Dixie pig & digital LA!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »
There's no party recap thread, so I thought I'd post here.

Overall, I think I applied for too many parties because I ended up not doing a few.  I have a friend with whom we like to have some quiet dinners and I still wanted to do those.

Wired Cafe:  Because it is flexible when you can go and how long to stay, I did go all three days for about an hour each time.  Two times, I had to get in a line.  Once, I walked right in.  I found the food to be a little skimpier this year.  But, the booze was free-flowing.  They also had a good brand selection on the booze.  The whole thing promoted Mr. Mercedes, the new Audience show.  I didn't have any sightings of celebrities I recognized.

Buzzfeed/CW Party: This was at the Altitude Lounge on a hotel rooftop.  When I got there (a little late), there was a line to get in because it was at capacity.  It took about an hour to get up there.  It was merely OK.  It doesn't take much to get to capacity because the rooftop is small.  Booze and food were decent and the view was spectacular.  We could see the Viking funeral from far away.  They had a game to play for prizes.  Someone else one a Roku.  But, I just got an iTunes gift certificate and a t-shirt.  I didn't see any celebs I recognized.

SYFY Fan Parties:  Formerly known as NerdHQ.  I went on Thursday and Saturday.  Thursday was easier to get in.  The line was so long on Saturday, I wasn't going to go in until I took a chance on asking at the VIP entrance.  Turns out the person who invited me put me on a special list.  It didn't get me upstairs to the special VIP area, but I got in the building. 

I honestly enjoyed the Syfy version of this more than the Nerd HQ version.  Because of the lack of installations that Nerd HQ used to have, there was much more room for the party.  The three free beers was a plus.  I actually wanted a regular drink and was willing to pay for it and got one without much of a line.  The prices were reasonable.  They were handing out soft pretzels.  The 80's band on Thursday was fantastic.  The 90's band on Saturday were OK, though I like 80's better.

Another thing I noticed less of was pushing and shoving on the dance floor.  In previous years, there were a lot of Zac Levi fangirls jammed toward the front and any time Zac would come nearby, they'd push and shove to be the closest to him.  I saw less of that.  I didn't stay all night, but he came out less and I don't know if he came into the crowd at all.  Definitely going to try to go to this if they have it next year.

Nerd Nite w/ National Geographic:  LOVED this party.  I showed up early, but it didn't seem overbooked if I hadn't.  Nice crowd.  Music was "background" rather than so loud you couldn't talk.  Met some other fans and we could actually talk to each.  Good food and great open bar.

There were two parties I didn't make it to and those were the Fandom Party and the Digital LA party.  If anyone has a report on how they went, I'd be curious.  Fandom overlapped with something else and dinner with my friend.  I also wasn't confident I could even get in because I hadn't in 2016.  So, I didn't make it.  Digital LA was at the same time as Nerd Nite and I was enjoying that so much, I didn't want to leave.
I second your review on Nerd Nite-it was fantastic, as always! The food was replenished much faster than last year, and was great. The shrimp ceviche that they serve there is wonderful (was served by the waiters/waitresses walking around). I wish I had gone up to represent team Mars-I got almost all of the answers right in the trivia contest. Does anyone know if team Earth got something extra for winning? I got my swag bag with t-shirt and the first season of Mars on DVD, so I was happy.
The only down side was how long I stood at the bar before I got served (not a line situation, I was actually up at the bar). They kept waiting on people that had just walked up. I finally had to wave them down. They were also not very cheerful. I tipped them every time. Maybe others weren't?
Oh, and the Atomic Rocket drink? Yum! I know it was just Prosecco with a rocket pop in it, but they went so well together! The special craft cocktails were interesting (and strong).

How did the Fandom party go? I was so beat by Thursday evening, that I didn't go. Especially since DH couldn't go, I really didn't feel like going by myself. Was it hard to get in? The thought of standing in a line was not high on my list at that point (I did the Funko line in the morning).
Ang

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2017, 02:28:01 PM »

Curious about the Dixie pig & digital LA!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I did get this from Digital LA with the location.  It had been "TBD":

"Thanks for RSVPing for our annual Digital LA - Comic Cocktails! We are excited to announce that tonight's venue will be tonight July 22, 8-10p at the new Pendry Hotel at Nason's Beer Hall, enter on J St at 6th, just a few blocks north of the San Diego Convention Center.

Head to the back of the bar, past the free popcorn machine, to the game room with the Jenga, Ms. Pac Man and other video games, darts, and cornhole. We'll be there, and thruout the bar. No need to print tickets, you'll be on our guest list.

Catch up with friends you haven't seen yet on the show floor, make new friends with friendly Digital LA peeps and others from around the world. Trade notes on best panels, parties, and swag.

Cash bar for food and drinks on your own. Limited capacity. Being on our guest list does NOT guarantee entry in case it gets packed, so arrive early! Entry subject to dress code of Nason's.

See you tonite!"

To be honest, I coulda checked in, but I had already had a few free drinks at Nerd Nite and the "cash bar" was a dis-incentive to drink more.