Author Topic: Longboarding as a means of transportation at Comic Con?  (Read 1806 times)

Offline juliafrood

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 185
Longboarding as a means of transportation at Comic Con?
« on: March 29, 2015, 01:48:32 AM »
Not sure if this goes here or in general, so feel free to move if needed, lol.

So the last two years we ended up with severe leg fatigue by the end of the convention.  I did get in better shape last year which made things better, but Comic con will always be extreme for me because I don't camp out for anything, don't wait in lines for things like exclusives, and when I do wait in line it's a moving line so I can't sit.   We also return to our hotel regularly for swag drops and whatnot.  This all equals like 16 hours a day of walking, running, or standing!

This year we are at Embassy Suites, and most of our daily walk will be on that awesome wide bayfront sidewalk behind the convention center.  Do you think we could bring skateboards to make the trip faster/less hard on the legs?  I know basics, but I live in PA where laws are pretty draconian and roads are not set up well, so I'd definitely have to practice and would only go at a nice cruising speed.  Does anyone know if this is allowed there?  Does anyone else travel this way at the con?  Can I somehow lock my board to a bike rack...or something?  Any other thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks!   ;D

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
Re: Longboarding as a means of transportation at Comic Con?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 07:27:34 AM »
I don't know the legality, but I'd be a tad worried about the crowds.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:10:59 AM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 08:05:38 AM »
It should be okay to use on the less crowded sidewalks as you get much, much further away from the Gaslamp Quarter and convention center, but in general, I would advise against using a longboard or skateboard around the "main" traffic areas of the convention.

I don't advise in trying to attach a longboard to a bike rack either.  With so many people around, there's a risk that someone will steal it--perhaps not for their own uses at the convention but to try to sell it off after the convention is over.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 08:08:30 AM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 11:29:31 AM »
I wouldn't recommend it:

--With the crowds to and from the show, you will have issues not running into people.
--At the show, it would be impossible and I don't think they would let you.
--During the show, it will be a pain to carry around.

I did this one day at the 98 show.

Bones Brigade Forever!  :P

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 11:42:30 AM »
My daughter brought hers last year used it for one trip from the Wyndham to the convention center and said it was too much of a hassle, and she took the shuttle back.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline juliafrood

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 11:44:19 AM »
I wouldn't recommend it:

--With the crowds to and from the show, you will have issues not running into people.
--At the show, it would be impossible and I don't think they would let you.
--During the show, it will be a pain to carry around.

I did this one day at the 98 show.

Bones Brigade Forever!  :P

Oh yeah, I would only be using it on that big wide drag out back of the convention center.  I'll be walking on that for most of my trip to and from the hotel.  I started thinking about it last year when we were staying at the Declan because it's all downhill to the convention center, but the street crossings and crowds in the gas lamp would have made it impossible.  I always see people on bikes and skates and carts back behind the convention center though, so I think it's feasible there.  Sounds like storage of the board without getting it stolen is a real problem though  :-\

Offline chaosdreamer

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 11:45:09 AM »
ETA: It looks like you want to skateboard along the embarcadero, which might give you some leeway. I remember the city touting that as a "Boardwalk" type of place for people to walk, jog, and (roller)skate back in the day so it might be okay unless anyone remembers seeing specific "no skateboards" signs?

I might be wrong, but I believe the citation below is still the law in SD and most of downtown would be considered "business district":

Section 84.12 (a) of the City of San Diego Municipal Code states: “It is unlawful for any person riding on roller skates or by means of coaster, skateboard, toy vehicle, or similar device, to go upon an open roadway in the City of San Diego, or upon the sidewalk or public plaza in any business district, or upon any inclined surface area of any City-owned or privately owned parkade..."

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (scroll down to pages 4 & 5 for the relevant sections).

Here's an article from the San Diego City College paper that indicates the code section was still valid at least as of 2012: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

As with all things, YMMV on whether the cops would hassle you but even if it were allowed, I agree with most of the posters that it would not be very safe (for you or others) with all the people around.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:52:59 AM by chaosdreamer »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 11:50:27 AM »
Also, if I remember right, the downtown sidewalks are really uneven which makes face-plants a real possibility.

Face plant during SDCC is no bueno.

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 02:04:03 PM »
I can see it being a valid means of travel to cut the distance until you get to the crowded sidewalks of SDCC... but once there are enough people around I'd say just put it away. People at my university longboard through crowds and it's awful, it just creates a mess of people having to get off the sidewalk for them or be jumping out of the way to avoid a speed demon faceplant
it may not be worth having to carry it around knowing how many crowds there are either

Offline juliafrood

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 05:56:52 PM »
I can see it being a valid means of travel to cut the distance until you get to the crowded sidewalks of SDCC... but once there are enough people around I'd say just put it away. People at my university longboard through crowds and it's awful, it just creates a mess of people having to get off the sidewalk for them or be jumping out of the way to avoid a speed demon faceplant
it may not be worth having to carry it around knowing how many crowds there are either

Yeah I'm not that skilled...I hop off as soon as I get near people and carry, lol.  I'm thinking that this might spare my legs at the cost of my shoulders.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 01:24:11 PM by juliafrood »