Author Topic: What hotel(s) have you stayed in for CCI? (Hotel Review/Feedback Thread)  (Read 137610 times)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
For hotel reviews on the forums:
If you stayed in one of the Comic-Con hotels in years past, what was your experience at the particular hotel? 

Did you have a positive or negative experience with the staff at the hotel?  Were the rooms clean and well-maintained? Give us some details about the rooms, parking at the hotel, etc.

Thanks.

EDIT:  To search for a hotel, while on this page, type in the name in the search box in the upper left of the forum.  The results you see should only be from the hotel review thread.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 04:03:45 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
None. I go back and forth between Comic Con and my house every day. But I can barely spend any time at Comic Con and can never make it to per-registartion. This year, I hope I can get a hotel for Comic Con.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
Westin Gaslamp twice. Marriott Gaslamp once. Have also slept on floor of friend's place, commuted from OC and slept on a sidewalk.

Westin actually overbooked one year and sent me to hotel across the street but paid for all of it and covered parking. Not bad. Can't think of name of place right now but it's next to NBC building?

Otherwise, no complaints abt either hotel. Clean, comfy, convenient and close. Didn't do the hotels this yr since it's too expensive for someone going solo...
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
I've only stayed at the Hyatt so far. This will be my fourth sdcc. The Hyatt used to be THE place to hang out for comics. I think biggest reason is that dc has their annual creative summit either during or right after the con and the Hyatt is/was their hotel.

I do a bit of traveling for work and I will say that the first two years I was at the Hyatt it was a decidedly un-Hyatt experience. There was a lot of animosity from the hotel staff towards attendees, requests went unfilled, they had to be badgered for anything, etc. I think they didn't do well with the '6 to a room' ethos of a lot of con attendees and the sheer volume of people overwhelmed them. I stay either alone or with my family and have status there so found their dismissal of me bec. I was a con attendee insulting.

The first year (2009) there was a pretty big problem due to protests by the gay community.  The owner was a backer for prop 9 or whatever it was in CA. Made for an interesting con.

My second year (2010) the Hyatt was actually not an official con hotel and decided to host a competing health care related event that had a lot of big political folks as speakers. Tons of people still stayed there but by then the bayfront was open as competition and a lot of the post-con scene moved there. Hyatt was still the dc hotel though so still a decent bar scene but not like the prior year. Service was still sub par for a Hyatt.

Last year (2011) there was a decidedly different feel to the hotel. The staff was incredibly friendly, service was excellent, bar was decent as always, and the Hyatt was back as an official con hotel. I was there with my family which by now included a 21 month old child and they were just great. We also had a suite that I bought an upgrade to so we would be more comfortable but I don't think that mattered due to our interactions with non-desk staff. The change was so dramatic that I had to comment to the desk clerk when we checked out about the difference. The hotel felt like a Hyatt again and not a holiday inn occupying a hyatt. Turns out they had significant management changes after the 2010 con. I had to complement them. I would definitely stay there again. The only downside is that it is farther away than some other hotels. But it is right next to seaport village and the post con bar scene is petty good. if you are with your fam it is an excellent place to stay because of the location.

This year I'm at the bayfront. Friends have stayed there before and loved it. I've seen the rooms and they are very nice. Decent bar scene and good restaurants. I'll probably miss the Hyatt bec I know it so well but the bayfront is closer and newer and was higher on my list because of that.

Offline cliffd64

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 1
In all the years we have been coming, we typically have stayed south of downtown, in Chula Vista (this year it's one stop up in National City) to save money.  A few years ago we could get a room for $75 a night or less at the Best Western on E street which was good because it included free breakfast.   They have since caught on to Comic Con and price is much higher during the con.  Occasionally you can sneak by if you book the year before, if they haven't jacked up prices yet.  It was basic accommodations, nothing frilly, a place to sleep and shower.  Friends have stayed at Good Night Inn around the corner from E Street, and it is basically a dump, but cheap.

This year, we booked Best Western Marina Gateway which is off of the 24th St exit (near In and Out) in National City...  Brand new hotel, very clean.  It was only a few dollars more than the E street one, and much nicer. Still saved a bunch from the downtown hotels...

Offline Mario_c

• Ballroom 20
  • Comedian, Comic Book Writer, Fashionisto
    • My Links
  • Liked: 53
My first year ('09) we stayed at the Holiday Inn Downtown and it was alright. A bit of a far walk, it was part of the rookie mistake of booking flight and hotel together via Orbitz or something but the distance meant it was a little more quiet and relaxed. They have a bar inside that is open for a few hours but there is a restaurant right downstairs on the west end of the block as well as a Domino's. Getting a cab here is a breeze because of limited traffic.

In '10 & '11 we stayed at the Marriott Marina next to the convention center. It was cool beng right next to the convention center in '10, in '11 we had a significantly busier schedule both at the convention itself and through out Gaslamp that meant a lot of going back and forth to the room and changing clothes. The room was cool, the pool area was amazing, and the food service inside and out by the pool was good though. The only negative I have is more of a city issue and that is the late night freight train that can take a very long time to pass on the track between the convention center and Gaslamp. Especially when you are wasted and need to get back to your room.

Offline mdla

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 171
Spent every Con at the Westin San Diego, which was a very nice, no frills, "business" hotel, which was steps away from Gaslamp.  The staff was very friendly, and the accommodations were also spectacular, but unfortunately I found they had an entry on Bed Bug Registry, so I decided I wouldn't be staying there again for this year's con. 

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
In 2008 I stayed at the Marriott Marquis (the one next to the Convention Center) and ion 2009, 2010 and 2011 I was at the Hilton Bayfront. Since I dress in costume it's very important to me to be close to the COn, to be able to hop back and forth to my room.

I'm back at the Marriott Marquis this year.

The Hilton Bayfront is very nice inside, although the rooms are slightly on the small side. You'll fit 4 people in a room, but it's very crowded. However the decor is very nice, the elevators are fast (and often decorated with cool con posters inside and out) and the hotel is very welcoming to Con attendees. There are lots of good food options in the hotel, including a decent sports bar with fair prices and an extensive menu that never seems to be quite full. Bonus during the Con! The pizzas by the pool are a real deal too. I've often seen celebrities in the lobby, the lounge and the expensive restaurant there. If you get a room on the side of the hotel facing the Convention Center you will have a spectacular view of the Hall H lineup area on the lawn. Not necessarily everyone's cup of tea, but a great Con view!

There is a well-stocked convenience store and a UPS store inside the hotel. Both of these come in very handy.

Other than the smallish rooms, the big negatives here are that parking is expensive and sometimes you can't cross the lawn if they are moving the Hall H lineup around. A negative used to be that it was far from the Gaslamp, but as of last year they opened the pedestrian bridge to PetCo Park, so now Gaslamp is easy to reach.

The Marriott Marquis has bigger rooms, and I understand they have been renovated since I was last there. Their pool area is beautiful and worth a visit. The elevators can be slow, especially if you're on a top floor. Parking is expensive.

Food choices are limited, as the only 'regular' food place (a pub restaurant) has extremely limited seating. However Seaport Village is a short walk. You can go to the Gaslamp, but we all know how long it can take to cross the street when the Con crowds are heavy.

HTH someone!

Offline hoserzgirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
Hard Rock '10
This is usually a party hotel, and during the con it was no different. We ran into a bunch of press taking pics in the lobby and got to join in since we had a room there. Unfortunately we were not allowed into any of the parties.
The staff was very cool. They allowed us a cooler, but warned that it was a big no-no to fill it with ice because of the chance for water damage. We figured if we did we could throw it in the tub.
The rooms are tiny . So one person had to move to the side so someone else could walk by. For 3 people it was a squeeze unless you were on the bed.
The room were clean, very trendy. There is no writing desk, but you can squeeze your laptop onto the dresser. The room comes pre-stocked with liquor. We asked for it to be removed, but there was a charge so we just worked around it.
Parking was $35 buck a night (valet) and it was such a pain to get out onto the street because of pedestrians, we ate downtown all week.
It has a pool, but it was inaccessible most night since there was so many private parties.

Town & Country '11
The hotel itself is more like a giant motel. We bought parking at the Bayfront and drove each way, but it didn't feel like we were in con-sphere at all.
It is a sprawling campus, and they have a huge parking structure. We were able to get parking outside our rooms all nights we stayed there in the big tower. These rooms look old-fashioned but are clean and big. Each room had a balcony and seating overlooking the pool which was nice in the summer unless someone smoked on the floor above or below us. There are lots of restaurants nearby, but it takes a few times of getting off & on the freeway to figure out where you are direction wise. There is also a Target to replenish snacks & other supplies. Overall it was doable, but a little trouble to get in & out, drive to con etc.

We really prefer to be in the downtown area the whole time since sometimes me & my kids like to head out early for panels and my husband wants to sleep in late. It also feels more like vacation when we don't drive anywhere for four whole days!

Offline icedog1787

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 0
Stayed in Indigo last year and in 2010 it was the Sheraton Symphony Suites.

Offline GoatCheese510

• Exhibit Hall
The last three years I've stayed @ the Town and Country and I gotta' say it's nice, reasonably priced, and best of all you can pick up your badges there on Wednesday. It's a nice, older hotel which has some nice places to eat, a gym (haven't seen too many nerds utilize this), and it's right next to fashion valley. They have the shuttle buses that pick up con goers every 15 minutes or so which is nice. Overall, each time we have stayed the atmosphere is relaxed and nice to get away from the madness of downtown at times. This year we got the Sofia hotel, any info on this one?

Offline Brian.A

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 41
We stayed at that Best Western on E St. in Chula Vista our first year. It was an alright place. Last year we stayed in the La Quinta Old Town and it was way nicer but the prices are all jacked up this year so we are back in a place in Chula Vista a little farther south. Looks nice enough.

Offline shuhbonkboo

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 3
Last year (first Con) my gf and I stayed at DoubleTree Mission Valley.  Pleasant stay.  It's quiet and has a few eateries within walking distance.  Clean rooms and polite staff.  Really no complaints besides the commute.  But with the new 24 hour shuttle service, it seems like getting to that Hall H line early won't be so troublesome.

Oh and for people who drive/rent a car: The hotel has a parking garage but we ended up parking either in front or across the street for free.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:45:28 AM by shuhbonkboo »

Offline Ers

• Sails Pavilion
Hello everyone, I'm a total newbie to the whole sdcc experience. Was lucky enough to get tickets but failed miserably at getting a hotel thru TP...both rounds! Booked at this hotel on my own. Have read reviews mixed reviews on Yelp and Tripadvisor,was wondering if any of you have stayed here? Thanks in advance  :)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hello everyone, I'm a total newbie to the whole sdcc experience. Was lucky enough to get tickets but failed miserably at getting a hotel thru TP...both rounds! Booked at this hotel on my own. Have read reviews mixed reviews on Yelp and Tripadvisor,was wondering if any of you have stayed here? Thanks in advance  :)
Merged this new thread on the "Holiday Inn on the Bay" hotel with the current hotel feedback/review thread.

Renamed current hotel review thread from "What hotel(s) have you stayed in for CCI?" to "What hotel(s) have you stayed in for CCI?  (Hotel Review/Feedback Thread)."
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...