Author Topic: San Francisco Comic Con, Sept. 2-4, 2016  (Read 8394 times)

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
Re: San Francisco Comic Con, Sept. 2-4, 2016
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2016, 02:13:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm a little bummed, because I originally bought tickets to see Jason Momoa and Krysten Ritter. Jason cancelled a little while ago, but i only found out yesterday that Krysten has cancelled as well (she's still listed on the events page, which is why I didn't notice until yesterday). So now there are zero celeb panels in which I am interested.

Since I have the ticket I'll still go, but I'm really disappointed. If I could get a refund at this point, I would. I know you're not supposed to buy con tickets based on a single guest, but this was 2 out of 3. So 2/3 of the original guests have cancelled. I'm not impressed.

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Have you checked with them to see if you can get a refund? Since Krysten Ritter’s cancellation was pretty much last minute, maybe they might make an exception.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2016, 02:14:58 PM »
I think I've settled on going anyway. I checked the schedule and I might spend most of my day at the comedy shows in the Foothill area. My husband wants to go, because he's like to see Jenna Coleman.

But I appreciate the thought.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 04:01:17 AM »

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2016, 04:37:20 PM »
Reading the reviews on Facebook...this con is not getting rave reviews so far. The vast majority of the 5-star reviews were written before the convention...  ::)

The main complaints seem to be the size of the exhibit hall and the price-to-amenities ratio. Seeing the exhibitor listing on their website, and also given that it's a hotel convention...I'm not surprised. It's also priced as an A-con which is pretty ambitious. There are also comments about it being unorganized, although given that it's a first year con that's understandable. I don't let its first year status excuse the size, though...Denver, Salt Lake, and Silicon Valley have shown that conventions no longer need to start small.

Interested to hear what people from here who went think.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2016, 06:02:57 PM »
I will be writing a blog post for FoCC on this con, so you can read more details shortly, but in general, I agree. This con has a lot of growing pains. Far more than SVCC had, and that con was much bigger. The people who ran this San Francisco con supposedly had experience running cons, but it didn't show.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2016, 11:58:54 PM »
Krysten Ritter was sick with an infection. I follow her Instagram and she was really bummed out.

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2016, 07:18:20 AM »
Yes, I heard that while at the convention (that she was ill).

Offline edwinfabian

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2016, 10:08:00 PM »
I agree with all the complaints mentioned. Very confusing layout, many cancelled guests, exhibit hall did not have much, the panels were very sub-par and badges were overpriced. Also, the hallways where the panels were got super packed and it was hard to maneuver about.

That being said, I only planned on going on Friday but ended up going for a little bit on all three days. I didn't buy a badge on Saturday or Sunday. I noticed that the atrium level (where the info booth was, beneath the levels where the panels were) was open to the public. Since one of my main attractions of going to cons is just to hang around with like minded geeks and take pictures, it was perfect for me because I was able to do just that.

If they do it again next year, hopefully they could get a better venue.

Here's a link to some pics I took.

Reading the reviews on Facebook...this con is not getting rave reviews so far. The vast majority of the 5-star reviews were written before the convention...  ::)

The main complaints seem to be the size of the exhibit hall and the price-to-amenities ratio. Seeing the exhibitor listing on their website, and also given that it's a hotel convention...I'm not surprised. It's also priced as an A-con which is pretty ambitious. There are also comments about it being unorganized, although given that it's a first year con that's understandable. I don't let its first year status excuse the size, though...Denver, Salt Lake, and Silicon Valley have shown that conventions no longer need to start small.

Interested to hear what people from here who went think.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2016, 10:57:29 PM »
I agree with all the complaints mentioned. Very confusing layout, many cancelled guests, exhibit hall did not have much, the panels were very sub-par and badges were overpriced. Also, the hallways where the panels were got super packed and it was hard to maneuver about.

That being said, I only planned on going on Friday but ended up going for a little bit on all three days. I didn't buy a badge on Saturday or Sunday. I noticed that the atrium level (where the info booth was, beneath the levels where the panels were) was open to the public. Since one of my main attractions of going to cons is just to hang around with like minded geeks and take pictures, it was perfect for me because I was able to do just that.

If they do it again next year, hopefully they could get a better venue.

Here's a link to some pics I took.

Thanks for posting! The Stranger Things cosplay was my favorite.  Still bummed I couldn't make it even with the bad reviews, looking forward to [member=314]Transmute Jun[/member] 's post.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2016, 06:25:21 AM »
Thanks for posting! The Stranger Things cosplay was my favorite.  Still bummed I couldn't make it even with the bad reviews, looking forward to [member=314]Transmute Jun[/member] 's post.

Thanks! It's all written but we're working on some group editing... ;)  Hopefully it will be up this afternoon.

You got some great pictures, Edwin!

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2016, 02:16:55 PM »
Okay, review has been posted!

Please LMK if you have any comment, or feel that there is anything else I should have considered.

Offline edwinfabian

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2016, 02:40:39 PM »
Great review. Hit all the nails on the heads.

Okay, review has been posted!

Please LMK if you have any comment, or feel that there is anything else I should have considered.

Offline tk415650

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 39
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2016, 05:40:50 PM »
I was only able to attend Sunday so I took my 4 yr old son and our main objective was to meet Ian McDiarmid/Emperor Palpatine and it was awesome.  My son kept asking me who is he and I kept telling him he's the OTHER bad guy in Star Wars.  Well as he was signing for us he heard my son ask again so he goes into his Palpatine voice and says "Do you know my voice? Give into the Dark Side".  Totally unexpected but was way cool for him to do that even though that startled my son a little.  All in all we both had a good time.

Really wish we had a replacement for Wondercon - it's the show that is perfect in San Francisco just as Comic-Con is to San Diego.