Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127914 times)

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 06:16:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm in San Diego, and I work part-time as UCSD.  I got word this morning that two UCSD health workers tested positive for Covid-19.  UCSD Health is doing everything they can to track who had been in contact with those two employees. 

My first reaction was "Yikes!"  That's too close to home.  Thankfully, I don't usually have to venture out to the "main" or central campus area (because of where I work at UCSD, ha ha), and all the classes I teach have been cancelled or moved to online-based platforms as of last Friday (yes, the 13th, ha ha).  All I can think about is what a close call that is...

Stay safe, and stay vigilant about hygiene, everyone. ♡

Oh Jeez. I'm in SD too and my mum works for UCSD Health (nurse practitioner at an offshoot in north county.) That hits a little too close to home, especially as I'm supposed to be taking classes at UCSD. I'm thinking of deferring for a term because of all of this craziness.

To report in North County SD: despite the rain traffic has been nearly nonexistent. I guess A LOT of people are only going out for necessities and/or are working from home. Every morning the past two weeks I've hit basically no traffic on my (admittedly short) drive to work. My other coworkers have reported similar findings.

On another note, we have yet to get orders, down here, to lockdown so our offices are continuing business per usual. Afaik, the courts up north and LA are canceling everything, not San diego. Trials that are upcoming are being delayed, but current ones aren't. We luckily just booted our trial that was meant to start on the 13th to May. So unless things change, I'm still going into work everyday. We're not well equipped for remote work because of the huge amount of medical docs and CDs we need to access the things for our cases. We're gearing up to prep the office for it though.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 06:21:05 PM by Iris »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 07:22:39 PM »
I have a friend -- actually, a girl I dated briefly -- who works in the UCSD health department. She'a part of the finance team, not a medical professional, but still, I hope she doesn't have to go into the office and wasn't actually close to the actual people who contracted the virus.

I always like to find small little bright sides, no matter how insignificant in the grand scheme of things. And one is, with virtually non-existent traffic in the past seven days in the Bay Area, and with the rain, I'm sure it's helping the air quality.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:08:51 AM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 07:41:56 PM »
Oh Jeez. I'm in SD too and my mum works for UCSD Health (nurse practitioner at an offshoot in north county.) That hits a little too close to home, especially as I'm supposed to be taking classes at UCSD. I'm thinking of deferring for a term because of all of this craziness.

I don't think you need to defer, if you're starting in the spring quarter.  UCSD classes will be done online starting from last week until the end of the spring quarter. Even finals for the current winter quarter will be online-based.

That is too close to home for you and your mom as well!  They haven't released information about which department the two health workers are in, but they know that they contracted the virus from somewhere around the San Diego community (and *not* from working with Covid-19 patients at one of the UCSD medical facilities).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:12:47 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 07:44:04 PM »
Part of me was hoping that the rain would kill this like it killed the spore plants in the original Outer Limits episode,Specimen Unknown. Alas, is has not.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 08:39:14 PM »
Wow! My friend was eating at a sushi joint in San Diego and the cops came in and closed the place down!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 08:43:27 PM »
Wow! My friend was eating at a sushi joint in San Diego and the cops came in and closed the place down!

Not feelin' that ...at all. :(

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2020, 08:55:08 PM »
I don't think you need to defer, if you're starting in the spring quarter.  UCSD classes will be done online starting from last week until the end of the spring quarter. Even finals for the current winter quarter will be online-based.

That is too close to home for you and your mom as well!  They haven't released information about which department the two health workers are in, but they know that they contracted the virus from somewhere around the San Diego community (and not from working with Covid-19 patients at one of the UCSD medical facilities).

Yeah it's WAY too close for my mum. She used to work in the main Thornton hospital, so hopefully that's NOT where it happened, just because it has SO MUCH transfer potential...

Well, they officially said that no one would be coming in for classes, but they canceled one of mine already and no word on whether the other two will go forward online :/ it's kind of evolving so quickly they have to keep detracting what they said before. Because as of this past weekend they were still going to do on campus labs/small sessions. Now as of today, they canceled that completely.

So I'm still waiting to see if they'll even offer any online courses because as of now they only have in-class one scheduled.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2020, 09:17:24 PM »

Yeah it's WAY too close for my mum. She used to work in the main Thornton hospital, so hopefully that's NOT where it happened, just because it has SO MUCH transfer potential...

Well, they officially said that no one would be coming in for classes, but they canceled one of mine already and no word on whether the other two will go forward online :/ it's kind of evolving so quickly they have to keep detracting what they said before. Because as of this past weekend they were still going to do on campus labs/small sessions. Now as of today, they canceled that completely.

So I'm still waiting to see if they'll even offer any online courses because as of now they only have in-class one scheduled.

Well, to clarify, the contact didn't happen in a UCSD hospital or on-campus but from unknown whereabouts around the community. Either way, it's not a good sign.

Ah, okay... the higher-ups at UCSD probably still trying to figure it out, and it might take a little more time as all of this is happening so quickly.   I'm sure things will work out soon. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2020, 11:32:04 PM »
With the Shelter-in-Place in effect, I'm starting to wonder about the economy whenever we eventually get out of this crisis. Specifically the small businesses. How many local stores & eateries will have no choice but to go out of business? How many can adapt? I'm thinking about my local comic book store, and my current favorite bubble tea place, and even that donut place where I never see any customers but somehow they've been around for as long as I can remember. Even these three weeks may be too big a hole for them to climb out of, and who knows if the lockdown may extend well beyond April 7th. I don't want to be alarmist -- things may be more or less back to normal in a few months -- but the landscape could be far different as well.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2020, 11:45:05 PM »

Well, to clarify, the contact didn't happen in a UCSD hospital or on-campus but from unknown whereabouts around the community. Either way, it's not a good sign.

Ah, okay... the higher-ups at UCSD probably still trying to figure it out, and it might take a little more time as all of this is happening so quickly.   I'm sure things will work out soon.

Ahhh interesting, I misunderstood that initially I think. Though, who knows how many people they were then in contact with before they found out :/

Yeah, I'm sure the universities are in absolute chaos trying to get to online teaching. THOUGH, this program has a lot of experience with online courses (some of the courses are only offered online,) so you'd think they'd be faster on the uptake. But I imagine, it depends on the professor/instructor too. sigh I'm going to give it until the end of this week and possibly just refund my classes if I don't get a determinate answer as to whether I can take what I want online. OF COURSE, this means my grad date from the program will be delayed and I may have to deal with other issues as a result. UGH, **** this situation in general.

Edit: Update on SD and parts of the country. I just received an e-mail stating my spinning classes are canceled for the foreseeable future (I think all Cyclebars and Soul Cycles at least in affected areas are closing) and one that just confirmed that all 24 Hour Fitness'es will be closed for the foreseeable future as well.

As of today in SD, bars etc. were ordered to shut down (if they don't offer food) and there's only takeout and delivery from restaurants as they're meant to be as minimal as possible. We still don't have a shelter in place order, but I'm dreading it. My coworker was mentioning that we seem to be  lagging behind much of California in terms of shutting down, especially when we got the chart of Courts that are shifting cases etc.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:07:31 AM by Iris »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2020, 12:43:38 AM »
i ventured out today to get pet food (worms for the beardie), last min veg & milk, pick up prescriptions & ship off a couple of packages.
i went to stores in mission valley san diego

the ups store, cvs, ralphs & ll reptile (food for the beardie) were all busy & running low on stock but I was able to get what i needed. Traffic was easy but the parking lots were full.

A couple of items at the grocery store were out of stock, milk and peanut butter. I was able to find those items because i looked on the lower shelves, out of normal eye site. It pays to look around. The butcher & fish counters were shuttered with no proteins on display. There was a decent selection of meat & veg in their respective areas. Oddly there was plenty of sweets and snacks but no beans/rice/pasta etc.

i may venture out again tomorrow to do a return in the outlets in Carlsbad tomorrow.

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2020, 06:00:34 AM »
Here in LA county (mostly)

Take-out only at restaurants, bars closed, gyms closed , ....

My brother is doing a test for working from home today , he prepped (VPN setup) other employees so they could work from home. 
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2020, 10:08:08 AM »
Maryland Checking In

Schools - Closed for at least 2 weeks though rumors they might be done for the year
Bars/Eat In Restaurants/Gyms/Events: All closed/cancelled.  Bars/Restaurants can do curb side/delivery/to go orders but that's it.

Over the weekend people were out in the bars full force so not surprised that the Governor had to step in and close things up.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2020, 10:28:41 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I wondered if you could share any more info on this situation? This is the first I have heard of police action in this way. :( Thank you.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2020, 10:41:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I wondered if you could share any more info on this situation? This is the first I have heard of police action in this way. :( Thank you.
the mayor of SD made it law that no restaurants could be open except for togo food.
the police are enforcing that law. the gaslamp is shutdown as are all the other popular areas of town, little italy, pacific beach etc all

modified to add
I broke down & got an inhaler for $75. Yes, I have COPD & am in a danger age group.  ::)  :o   >:(
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 11:12:20 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5