Author Topic: Reconnect with others and check in  (Read 2321 times)

Offline AlaskaRainbow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 139
Reconnect with others and check in
« on: July 15, 2021, 01:22:38 PM »
Hi Forum! Checking in after a long time away. Went to SDCC 2012-2019. Taking baby steps back into SDCC world - like many of you it's been a helluva pandemic. I was laid off April 2020, haven't been working since.  A few of you may remember my son Will, he attended SDCC with Kelly and I in 2015. Last Nov. he was diagnosed with Stage IV kidney cancer.  They removed a large bump from the back of his head which had broken through his skull - it was a cancer tumor which contained kidney cells. Now has a plate as the back of his head but the little bit of hair he has covers it.  Large tumor on kidney, tumors in liver and spine. He is 28yrs old and is not expected to live past this year but we all keep hoping he has more time. Thank you to all the Forum members who were so kind to him when you met him. SDCC was an amazing experience for him.
I'm trying to reconnect with others but I'm living in such a dark vortex it's hard to remember how to be with people so I'll just say Hello and I guess I'm hoping to rejoin the community...Awkwardly, which is how I do most things. 

modified the title- admin aly
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 07:13:05 AM by alyssa »

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 01:29:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi Forum! Checking in after a long time away. Went to SDCC 2012-2019. Taking baby steps back into SDCC world - like many of you it's been a helluva pandemic. I was laid off April 2020, haven't been working since.  A few of you may remember my son Will, he attended SDCC with Kelly and I in 2015. Last Nov. he was diagnosed with Stage IV kidney cancer.  They removed a large bump from the back of his head which had broken through his skull - it was a cancer tumor which contained kidney cells. Now has a plate as the back of his head but the little bit of hair he has covers it.  Large tumor on kidney, tumors in liver and spine. He is 28yrs old and is not expected to live past this year but we all keep hoping he has more time. Thank you to all the Forum members who were so kind to him when you met him. SDCC was an amazing experience for him.
I'm trying to reconnect with others but I'm living in such a dark vortex it's hard to remember how to be with people so I'll just say Hello and I guess I'm hoping to rejoin the community...Awkwardly, which is how I do most things.
I'm so sad to hear. Do you have a photo you'd be willing to share of your son? Sending big hugs to your son!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Reconnect with others and check in
« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:54:45 AM »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 03:43:33 PM »

Hi You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login , welcome back!  I'm SO sorry to hear about your son's illness, sending you lots of positive energy.  Hopefully checking in here will give you something different to think about and look forward to for next summer.  I can't imagine what you're going through but know you're always welcome here to vent, chat, escape, whatever you need.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 04:48:30 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear about your son.  Best wishes.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 04:58:50 PM »
So sorry to hear about your son. I will keep him  in my thoughts and prayers
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 03:20:23 PM »

So sorry to hear this, sending good thoughts your way.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 07:25:37 AM »
I can not imagine how devastating this would be. You both have my sympathy. <--- that sounds hollow but it really is said with tears. I'm trying to get my son into see a doc just because he hasn't seen one in ages. What you are going through is the fear of every parent out there.
**hugs**

would your family enjoy/be able to come to Turkey Con/special edition in Nov? you both realize you're some of my oldest sdcc friends, right?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 10:41:03 AM »

modified the title- admin aly
You and your family have my most sincere condolences.  I'm glad that you're checking in and I hope that you are able to maintain some semblance of positive mental health during what sounds like extraordinarily trying times.

(also sorry that your first attempt to do this occurred in the middle of COVID vaccination back-and-forths; hopefully this is a better avenue for you  :-X )

Offline AlaskaRainbow

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 06:54:05 PM »
Thank you so much. I know this has been a tough couple years for all of us & I really appreciate you guys offering support.

Update kinda long but don’t worry I won’t write more of these. Will is doing pretty well considering his girlfriend just broke up with him - he had given her a ring & I was so pleased he had love in his life especially now. (Won’t say anything else about that.) 
Will is actually going on “vacation” next week. He is traveling solo to SC to visit my parents (both 88yrs old, living in their own house) so he can say goodbye. My sister & brother moved from England & Santa Cruz few yrs ago to be near them & there are cousins, etc in the SC & NC area so it’s going to be an emotional trip for everyone. He’s still wearing the back brace but his Drs said it’s ok if he travels just be aware his back tumors could cause paralysis if he fell or something. Sure, no problem! He has his 2nd vaccine shot day before he leaves (Dr finally ok’d him getting it) and Immunotherapy treatment on the day he leaves. Since traveling from AK to SC isn’t exhausting enough he set up an 8hr layover in Chicago on the way there & he’s planning on seeing the city. (?) Then for his return he sched a long layover in Nashville so he can visit Third Man Records. He is insistent that he doesn’t want his brother or I to go along - I’m filled with anxiety but that’s daily these days. Will said he wants to do what he can while he can which I guess is all of us anyway, right?

Love you SDCC community!   

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 07:30:45 PM »
Update kinda long but don’t worry I won’t write more of these.

If it helps to talk about it, then write more.  We are here for you.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 07:51:48 PM »
What a fantastic trip he has planned!!  Please share how it goes, hopefully he'll get to see all the sights he'd like to see in Chicago and Nashville. 

If he doesn't already have a plan I've had really good luck using toursbylocals.com to get tour guides to get us from/return us to the airport and show us around during a layover.

Offline AlaskaRainbow

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 08:40:08 PM »
TardisMom - thanks for the suggestion of toursbylocals, what a great idea!