Author Topic: Could CCI cancel SDCC 2020 due to the Coronavirus?  (Read 63590 times)

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
Re: Could CCI cancel SDCC 2020 due to the Coronavirus?
« Reply #420 on: March 26, 2020, 01:14:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Another Day....Another game of "Will They Cancel or Not Cancel Comic Con? Step on down.... :-[
I just realized we’ve turned into sports talk radio, when there’s an ongoing storyline that just drags out. Before this past week, we had to put up with “Where is Tom Brady going?” And all the back & forth speculation with very few concrete news and facts to go on, up until his decision to sign with Tampa Bay. We’re in this situation now with the state of SDCC 2020.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #421 on: March 26, 2020, 01:17:47 PM »
I believe that we will have a definitive answer before the refund deadline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #422 on: Today at 02:32:12 PM »

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #422 on: March 26, 2020, 01:33:19 PM »
I'm sure studios and networks have probably already made up their minds about being at the show, even if it does happen. With filming shut down on pretty much everything, if things do "slow down" I'm sure these networks and studios will be more concerned about getting back to filming than attending a con.
Then again, think of how many times they’ve shown us raw footage. Cowboys and Aliens was only two weeks into production. SDCC would be a good way to start spinning up audience interest again. That said, I think they’re going to cancel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #423 on: March 26, 2020, 02:27:13 PM »
We pay for badges knowing nothing about the show, other than maybe a few comic guests that 99+% of attendees don't care about. If you are sure that the show is not going to be what you want this year and are waiting to see if they give you the option to roll them over to 2021 then fair enough, but if you're just going to talk smack about them based on things that may or may not happen in the next 4 months then it seems it would be better to just to cancel your badge and get the 10% back while you have the option.
I do plan to cancel, but waiting to see what they do by the refund deadline. No way I want to attend this show now. I may not know everything about the show, but I do know this one would be a bust and not worth going to. Under normal conditions, I know enough that there are lots to do and see. Not this time. Go ahead and attend, then come back here and complain about how no one was there. My point is this is expensive to go to, and not worth it this year for attendees or exhibitors.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #424 on: March 26, 2020, 03:51:42 PM »
I would imagine that a lot of panelists might not want to come either.

This is where the international in CCI hurts them a bit.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #425 on: March 26, 2020, 04:12:00 PM »
I would imagine that a lot of panelists might not want to come either.

This is where the international in CCI hurts them a bit.

But other than moving it out of the United States, what can CCI do?

According to the BBC, the US has more confirmed cases of covid than any other country.  We are just starting our exponential ramp up.

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
    • Tink the Pug
« Reply #426 on: March 26, 2020, 04:18:24 PM »

According to the BBC, the US has more confirmed cases of covid than any other country.  We are just starting our exponential ramp up.
That's because we don't take it as seriously as other countries. The pandemic will grow until everyone starts taking it seriously.

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #427 on: March 26, 2020, 05:04:11 PM »

Well they can cancel it. Thats always an option. ;p

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #428 on: March 26, 2020, 09:18:11 PM »
That's because we don't take it as seriously as other countries. The pandemic will grow until everyone starts taking it seriously.

I think people will take it seriously when all their parents start dying. By then, it will be too late.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #429 on: March 26, 2020, 09:24:39 PM »

Not saying that CCI could or should do anything.  Saying that panelists might choose to not show up.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #430 on: March 26, 2020, 10:57:59 PM »
Not saying that CCI could or should do anything.  Saying that panelists might choose to not show up.

The problem is domestic now, not international.  So if a panelist doesn't want to show up due to fear of covid, then they wouldn't want to show up for a con in the US.

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #431 on: March 27, 2020, 08:15:04 PM »
Entertainment Weekly did a write-up today on SDCC:

Right now, we hear that SDCC is quietly proceeding as if everything is still on track. Representatives for the event did not respond to request for comment. Studio representatives say they are, in turn, waiting to see what the event's organizers decide before making their own verdicts.

It's bewildering that multi-billion dollar multimedia/broadcasting companies are deferring to little nonprofit CCI on this one.

If anything, perhaps this shows just how much clout CCI wields.  Fascinating to see how this all plays out.

Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #432 on: March 27, 2020, 09:02:39 PM »
That comment earlier that a few comic people that 99+% of the people don't care about....this is bugging me. I understand that SDCC has a different feel, but the heart of it is comics. I've sat with a bunch of friends here debating comics. I see long lines to talk to writers/artists. I'm not a snob and poo-poo people that come to buy toys or gawk at celebrities, but I assure you, we love the creators.
SDCC happens! Because that means we will have gone back to a normal life.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #433 on: March 28, 2020, 12:53:45 AM »
That comment earlier that a few comic people that 99+% of the people don't care about....this is bugging me. I understand that SDCC has a different feel, but the heart of it is comics. I've sat with a bunch of friends here debating comics. I see long lines to talk to writers/artists. I'm not a snob and poo-poo people that come to buy toys or gawk at celebrities, but I assure you, we love the creators.
SDCC happens! Because that means we will have gone back to a normal life.

Sorry if the comment bugs you. I think it’s great that you and your friends love the creators, and that they have a long line. :) I like many of them too. But what I was saying is that the few comic guests that are announced before the sale is not why the show instantly sells out, or why people have a meltdown on the CCI Facebook page after not getting tickets. Just how SDCC has become.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 12:57:33 AM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
    • Tink the Pug
« Reply #434 on: March 28, 2020, 08:35:56 AM »
SDCC is a great show, but it won't be this year. If you want a great show again, wait until 2021. But for now stay home and keep us all safe.