Author Topic: Books - What are you reading?  (Read 79294 times)

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
Re: Books - What are you reading?
« Reply #345 on: September 02, 2019, 08:54:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

September is Library Card Sign-up Month and the Graphic Novels & Comics Round Table is partnering with comic creators to help spread the word about the importance of having a library card.

Throughout the month, GNCRT will be featuring a new creator each day posing with their library card. Showcasing comic creators in this #GetLibraryCarded campaign spotlights the mutually beneficial relationship between creators and libraries in support of literacy, intellectual freedom, and creative expression - we are stronger together.

Follow @libcomix and @ALALibrary on Twitter to see your favorite comics creators #GetLibraryCarded! Participating creators include writer/artist Jimmy Palmiotti (Harley Quinn, Marvel Knights, Painkiller Jane), cartoonist Dav Pilkey (Dog Man, Captain Underpants), artist/editor Christina "Steenz" Stewart (Archival Quality, Rolled & Told), and writer Lilah Sturges (Lumberjanes: The Infernal Compass, The Magicians: Alice's Story), and more.

Want to participate? We encourage all libraries and library lovers to join in! Pose with your library card or favorite comics or graphic novels - maybe at your local library - and tag your favorite creator! Check the Library Card Sign-up Month web page for more ways to celebrate

Hashtags to follow: #GetLibraryCarded, #LibraryCardSignUp, #CreatorsGetCarded, #LibComix

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #346 on: September 03, 2019, 07:54:24 AM »
I just finished this book over the weekend and it publishes today so I can recommend it to everyone. THERE WILL COME A DARKNESS by Katy Rose Pool. It is PHENOMENAL. It's a dark fantasy with like a magic-based faith system and a prophecy about the end of the world. Diverse cast, LGBT characters, top 10 anime betrayals. It's great. It's the first in a trilogy.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #347 on: Today at 11:35:28 AM »

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #347 on: September 03, 2019, 10:04:29 AM »
I just finished The Chestnut Man by Soren Sveistrup.  Picked up the arc (of the English translation) at SDCC but it's out as of today.  It was AMAZING.  It is about two detectives that are trying to solve the murders of three women by The Chestnut Man, which they don't know are related until later on. I'm going to say that's not so much a spoiler since it's the title of the book and all.  There is also a kidnapping or two that are maybe, maybe not related.  A few places described the book as horror, but I would categorize it more as a combo murder mystery/thriller, it's not scary like Steven King can be or anything like that.  I read a lot of books in this category and it blows most of them out of the park.

A few weeks ago I also read The Warehouse by Rob Hart (another arc pick up) and it was really good too.  It was about what happens when a copy *cough* Amazon *cough* essentially takes over everything.  They have drones for delivery, a company campus where everyone works and lives, they've bought out all other businesses or essentially caused them to fail.  The story is about a woman that infiltrates the campus and then just a normal dude that needed a job that gets caught up in her plan inadvertently.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #348 on: September 12, 2019, 03:23:23 AM »
Long overdue, but I've been listening to Leonard Nimoy's I Am Spock autobiography when I'm commuting or doing some repetitive tasks at my internships.  I hadn't had the chance to read his book back then, so I decided to why not listen to him narrate it instead of just reading it!  XD  I normally don't really do audio books (I'm more of a visual learner), but I figured every once in a while it would be cool, especially if it's read by the author, ha ha.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #349 on: September 12, 2019, 06:33:29 AM »
I just finished The Testaments yesterday. A great read if you loved the original Handmaid's Tale book.

Offline lborgia88

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #350 on: September 12, 2019, 10:53:07 AM »
I want to read that next, for sure!  I'm going to a talk that Margaret Atwood is doing in Portland on Sept. 25, and I want to read it before then
But first I need to finish Robert Jackson Bennett's The Divine Cities trilogy -fortunately I'm nearly done book 3.  His stuff is really good.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 04:43:41 PM by lborgia88 »

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #351 on: September 12, 2019, 07:19:00 PM »
The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow - so good! It was really beautiful and magical.

Right now I'm reading Gideon the Ninth. Lesbian necromancers!
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #352 on: September 12, 2019, 07:56:16 PM »
Just started reading Gardens of the Moon, Book One of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, by Steven Erikson.  Very deep, very involved, epic fantasy in the realm of GRRM, or even Tolkien at times.  Very detailed, lots of characters, stories in stories, and a very intense read.  First book of a 10-book series, so it'll keep me occupied for a while.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #353 on: September 13, 2019, 05:44:14 AM »
I just finished The Testaments yesterday. A great read if you loved the original Handmaid's Tale book.

I'm about a third of the way through it and loving it.  Pesky work getting in the way of my reading time.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #354 on: September 14, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
I have a few books going, but my graphic novel book club for October is The Watchmen. I get to moderate!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #355 on: September 14, 2019, 08:14:51 PM »
I have a few books going, but my graphic novel book club for October is The Watchmen. I get to moderate!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Lucky group! I wish I could be there myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #356 on: September 17, 2019, 06:48:45 AM »
sdcomicfest Join us tomorrow night at @mystgalaxybooks as Science Fiction Guest of Honor J. Michael Straczynski celebrates the release of his autobiography Becoming Superman.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #357 on: September 30, 2019, 09:48:19 AM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The Comic-Con Graphic Novel Book Clubs have spoken! Here are there discussion books for the month of September.

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #358 on: October 10, 2019, 07:59:40 PM »
I just finished reading, The Wildered Quest.  It's fantastic mixture of fantasy/Arthurian legend and Grimm's Fairy tales and I definitely recommend it.  It's the book for the newest expansion set for Magic: the Gathering but don't let that throw you off.  It follows the journey of twin Rowan and Will Kenrith, who venture on a quest to find their missing father, The High King.

Here is an excellent review. 

I am currently reading the samples for Stephen King's The Institute and Robert Jordan's The Eye of the World.  Not sure which one I will buy.
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline SyndE

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #359 on: October 11, 2019, 06:51:04 AM »
Hi... been a long time since I've posted here... but never stopped reading!

I recently finished an awesome speculative fiction novel: A SONG FOR A NEW DAY by Sarah Pinsker. In the future, due to mass attacks and mass illness, groups of almost any size are banned, and all live music is performed hologram style, beamed into people's hoodie visors. But what about the musicians who crave a live audience?

Really good, highly recommended!