Author Topic: Flying Southwest for SDCC50 2019  (Read 21870 times)

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
Flying Southwest for SDCC50 2019
« on: September 13, 2018, 12:14:47 PM »
I know it's early, but I wanted to make everyone aware that Southwest changed their Early Bird check-in rates. They can be either $15, $20, or $25 depending on the flight (popularity, destination, etc). I was booking my flight to LA for Gallifrey One, and it is $25. If there are two of you, that's $100 extra dollars on your flight!

I am guessing that flights to San Diego for SDCC will fall under the $25 range. I am going to try only buying for DH, and having him save me a seat. Fingers crossed that there will be a place for my bag near where he sits!

Anyway: Per the Southwest website:
We are currently accepting air reservations through April 7, 2019. On September 27, 2018 we will open our schedule for sale through June 8, 2019. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

Check back on September 27, and I bet they will have the date for being open through July.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 06:49:51 AM by alyssa »
Ang

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
Re: Flying Southwest for SDCC 2019
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 04:29:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know it's early, but I wanted to make everyone aware that Southwest changed their Early Bird check-in rates. They can be either $15, $20, or $25 depending on the flight (popularity, destination, etc). I was booking my flight to LA for Gallifrey One, and it is $25. If there are two of you, that's $100 extra dollars on your flight!

I am guessing that flights to San Diego for SDCC will fall under the $25 range. I am going to try only buying for DH, and having him save me a seat. Fingers crossed that there will be a place for my bag near where he sits!

Anyway: Per the Southwest website:
Check back on September 27, and I bet they will have the date for being open through July.

Thanks so much!  This year I am determined to buy early, and hopefully get some really good rates for flights.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Flying Southwest for SDCC50 2019
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:51:39 PM »

Offline meecheles

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 08:53:57 AM »
I have been doing that for years. Why pay for two early birds? I just pay for myself and save my husband a seat.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 10:33:21 AM »
I have been doing that for years. Why pay for two early birds? I just pay for myself and save my husband a seat.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 10:58:52 AM »

it actually is-- i've seen lots of folks hold seats for traveling companions and a fair amount of push back. Until SW officially weights in- it will continue. I have done it & have bought EB for both travelers-
i would think this practice will increase with the raising of prices
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 11:50:56 AM »
As long as people aren't saving a whole row (I am talking across the aisle) for their family. I have seen that happen, and the particular dad was particularly obnoxious about it. His family was obnoxious too, so there you go... (disclaimer-I have nothing against families)

I actually buckled and bought for both of us, since it was one of our cheaper flights. My concern is more having my bags close to where I sit than sitting together. I know, it's a quirk, and I am paying the price (literally!). I will probably try to get past that for the San Diego flight (fingers crossed that I need a San Diego flight!)

Looking online, the general consensus is that if you are saving the middle seat, and your partner isn't at the end of the C group, it should be fine. If I do it, I will definitely try to get as far up in the boarding ranks as possible.
Ang

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 11:59:54 AM »
Quote from: alyssa
it actually is-- i've seen lots of folks hold seats for traveling companions and a fair amount of push back. Until SW officially weights in- it will continue. I have done it & have bought EB for both travelers-
i would think this practice will increase with the raising of prices

I know - I just don't understand the reasons for justifying it - but [seat-saving] is an evergreen topic when it comes to Southwest that has been discussed to death, so there is no reason for me to open Pandora's box on that one.

With the new sliding scale of Early Bird prices though, I will say that I am debating burning all the points I have and switching my airline. I love Southwest, and have flown with them exclusively for the past 8 years, but if for a a majority of the routes I frequently fly - I could book Delta Comfort for about the same price.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 12:14:36 PM »
I know - I just don't understand the reasons for justifying it - but [seat-saving] is an evergreen topic when it comes to Southwest that has been discussed to death, so there is no reason for me to open Pandora's box on that one.

With the new sliding scale of Early Bird prices though, I will say that I am debating burning all the points I have and switching my airline. I love Southwest, and have flown with them exclusively for the past 8 years, but if for a a majority of the routes I frequently fly - I could book Delta Comfort for about the same price.

I had no idea about this new sliding scale, and just read up about it online.  The whole system of SW's boarding can be confusing...argh!  Thank you so much for noting this.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 03:29:14 PM »

i actually agree with u-
as [member=364]Angology[/member] said- i'm less annoyed by someone in A saving for a B then i am for a late C. they gotta do due diligence
re families- they get early boarding between a & b. Unless we're talking teenagers then it might be a good idea to separate them anyway- /yeah not feeling the teenage love these days lol/
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline waltbionik

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 100
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 06:12:20 AM »
I always check in 24 hours before the flight and usually get an A or low number B boarding group. I always get a window seat and frequently get an exit row.
I wonder when July 2019 dates will open up. I'm ready to book that flight!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 06:41:43 AM »
I always check in 24 hours before the flight and usually get an A or low number B boarding group. I always get a window seat and frequently get an exit row.

[member=457]waltbionik[/member]  ;)

from the SW site
We are currently accepting air reservations through June 8, 2019. On November 15, 2018 we will open our schedule for sale through August 5, 2019. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

now to see if i can actuall figure out how to add this to the forum calendar ....LOL... I get so mystified by gooie software sometimes :) I may have to call in the big guns [member=364]Angology[/member]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 06:44:42 AM by alyssa »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 06:44:21 AM »

from the SW site

I was just on the SW site playing around to see when flights would open up...thanks Alyssa!

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 07:33:58 AM »

from the SW site
now to see if i can actuall figure out how to add this to the forum calendar ....LOL... I get so mystified by gooie software sometimes :) I may have to call in the big guns [member=364]Angology[/member]
I see that you figured it out. :) I was checking SW this morning (I forgot to set a reminder for the 27th...), and came here to post about it. I hadn't looked at my phone, I must have just felt the notifications in my bones! lol!
Thanks for putting up the calendar link!

eta: I guess I better go put a notification on my phone for the 15th, since that date is more important. XD
Ang

Offline waltbionik

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 100
Re: Flying Southwest for SDCC50 2019
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 07:42:13 AM »
Awesome. Thanks for the news!

Offline Sakura17

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 08:19:46 AM »

Lol you are so lucky. I get either a high B or C number now a days when flying out of Chicago. I only get an A if I'm flying to not a major city. Majority of people are paying early bird.