Author Topic: Flying Southwest for SDCC50 2019  (Read 21878 times)

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
Re: Flying Southwest for SDCC50 2019
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2019, 01:10:54 PM »
SWA cancelled our flight on Monday "due to maintenance" less than three hours before our departure and booked us onto a later flight without informing us. I received a cancellation email while we were checking out of the Bayfront and had to call to inquire while Ubering on the way to the airport. After being on hold for 20 minutes, I spoke with a rep who said that there were two cancelled flights, so we were auto-booked onto a flight 5 hours later and that no earlier flights were available.

When we arrived at the airport, the rep there said the same thing, but gave us stand-by boarding passes in case an earlier flight wasn't full. Fortunately, the flight had two open spots, so my wife and I were able to sneak aboard. Good thing it was a short flight from SAN to SJC because I ended up sitting in between two big guys, one who couldn't keep still... and I'm a big guy, myself.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2019, 07:21:46 PM »
i've booked sw to Mondo Con, christmas holidays and will be booking on aug 15 for a feb vaka to Orlando FL.
I'll be giving updates on SWest all winter   ;D

If anyone is thinking of Star Wars Disney at orlando..... i'll be there Feb 15&16

We are currently accepting air reservations through January 5, 2020. On August 15, 2019 we will open our schedule for sale through March 6, 2020. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 07:26:14 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #77 on: Today at 09:49:38 PM »

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2019, 06:58:11 PM »
Southwest was absolutely packed on Sunday evening, more so than any SDCC I've ever attended. We always leave on Sunday, and we got there almost two hours before our flight, which we thought would be more than enough time to check in and have a sit down dinner at one of the restaurants. But the lines were so redonkulously long, as they were trying to get all the flights before ours checked in, so we had to wait until all those passengers were through. As it turned out, we had 25 minutes to find a table, order, eat, and pay tab. Blessedly, the waitress was used to this and expedited our order and had our check ready while we ate. Being one of the last to board (upper C group) worked in our favor, and only because we both thought the other person already checked in the day before for the both of us.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2019, 07:22:13 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Southwest was absolutely packed on Sunday evening, more so than any SDCC I've ever attended. We always leave on Sunday, and we got there almost two hours before our flight, which we thought would be more than enough time to check in and have a sit down dinner at one of the restaurants. But the lines were so redonkulously long, as they were trying to get all the flights before ours checked in, so we had to wait until all those passengers were through. As it turned out, we had 25 minutes to find a table, order, eat, and pay tab. Blessedly, the waitress was used to this and expedited our order and had our check ready while we ate. Being one of the last to board (upper C group) worked in our favor, and only because we both thought the other person already checked in the day before for the both of us.

That lines up with our (opposite) experience. We typically leave Monday morning and it was the calmest I've seen in some years.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2019, 08:57:37 PM »

Yeah Sunday night had crazy long lines at the Southwest baggage check-in counter and the security lines were the longest I've ever seen for a Sunday night. Luckily I didn't have to check in my bag, just did carry-on. After hitting a bit of traffic with multiple trolleys where I was trying to leave MGH hotel, I arrived at the airport about 30 minutes before my flight departure. Had a panic attack a few minutes later after realizing I was in the wrong security line but thankfully the right security line was shorter than the previous and I finished the security check right when my plane was boarding. Whew. It looks like leaving 1 hr before my SW flight isn't going to cut it anymore with all the traffic and crowds, I think next year I better leave 80 minutes beforehand instead.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2019, 04:26:42 AM »
We left on Monday and the airport was very calm.  This year there was no sign about taking Comic con books out of luggage!  Yeah...last year that was weird.  We had arrived about an hour and half before our flight and had plenty of time to 'center ourselves' before boarding our looooong first flight back east.  I was tense because our connecting flight in Atlanta only gave us about 40 minutes between flights.  Ack!  I barely made it.  I really wish Southwest would offer non-stops from Jacksonville.  ::sigh:: Maybe by next year.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2019, 11:04:43 AM »
i've booked sw to Mondo Con, christmas holidays and will be booking on aug 15 for a feb vaka to Orlando FL.
I'll be giving updates on SWest all winter   ;D

If anyone is thinking of Star Wars Disney at orlando..... i'll be there Feb 15&16

We are currently accepting air reservations through January 5, 2020. On August 15, 2019 we will open our schedule for sale through March 6, 2020. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

Just a heads up that the "open schedule" date has changed a few times already. I think it's another issue from the grounding of certain air craft. So don't be surprised if it changes again!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2019, 11:30:22 AM »
Just a heads up that the "open schedule" date has changed a few times already. I think it's another issue from the grounding of certain air craft. So don't be surprised if it changes again!
thanks i'll keep an eye on it- tbh, it would be great if it changed- i've got another round of medical testing early that day //sigh
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2019, 11:32:35 AM »
thanks i'll keep an eye on it- tbh, it would be great if it changed- i've got another round of medical testing early that day //sigh

Welcome! Hope your testing goes well!

Offline Agoyo

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2019, 12:32:08 PM »
We left on Monday and the airport was very calm.  This year there was no sign about taking Comic con books out of luggage!  Yeah...last year that was weird.  We had arrived about an hour and half before our flight and had plenty of time to 'center ourselves' before boarding our looooong first flight back east.  I was tense because our connecting flight in Atlanta only gave us about 40 minutes between flights.  Ack!  I barely made it.  I really wish Southwest would offer non-stops from Jacksonville.  ::sigh:: Maybe by next year.

There was a sign about no con bags or books in luggage at the bag drop off area on Monday afternoon. I didnt quite understand what it meant at first. I dont recall a similar sign last year but I was fortunate both last year and this year to leave most stuff with someone who was driving home so I didn't have any con bags in my luggage. Has Southwest ever said why it is an issue?

I agree about the airport being very calm Monday afternoon. At the SW Gate 1 security area they were sending people home early and one of the TSA personnel commented to another that it didnt seem like a con Monday. That gate can be packed during regular business trips but that afternoon there was a lot of seating. They appeared to be using only the Gate 1 and 1a areas.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2019, 05:53:58 PM »
just a reminder
sw is opening up their next round of sales on the 15th

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2019, 10:10:50 AM »
The schedule opened up today and here's when the next one is:

We are currently accepting air reservations through March 6, 2020. On September 26, 2019 we will open our schedule for sale through April 13, 2020. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2019, 11:22:12 AM »
Just earned my companion pass, will make our 2020 trip a little cheaper :)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2019, 11:32:45 AM »
Just earned my companion pass, will make our 2020 trip a little cheaper :)

Awesome!

We are planning to apply for 2 of the Southwest credit cards this fall aiming to earn a Companion Pass next January. ;)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2019, 11:54:13 AM »
i just tried to get SD to orlando tix for next feb.... yikes way way more expencive then i thought they were going to be!
i was thinking $300-- SW is asking $600 before early bird