Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe Disney+ Poll  (Read 782 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Marvel Cinematic Universe Disney+ Poll
« on: July 15, 2021, 09:19:17 AM »
Now that we're three series into the Disney+ MCU it's becoming incredibly obvious that Kevin Feige is using the streaming service to continue the MCU storytelling.  We have characters moving from Disney+ series - films (hi Valentina Allegra de la Fontaine; I won't call ya Val  ;) ) and it's clear that "WandaVision" is leading into DOCTOR STRANGE AND THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS and "Loki" is at least going to be connected to ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA, if not other films.  "Loki" in particular feels like its setting up the next big event in the Marvel universe, with the Multiversal War: introducing a character we know is in QUANTUMANIA, and a concept (broadly, the Multiverse) that seems to impact the Doctor Strange sequel, as well as rumors concerning the third Spidey film (bringing in characters and actors from Sony Spidey films, though admittedly this could just be Marvel and Sony playing nice to connect their worlds).

For folks with the streaming service, this is great.  Since "WandaVision" premiered in mid-January, we've gotten 3 series and a feature film in almost exactly six months ("Loki's" season 1 finale dropped 24 hours before the 6 month anniversary of the "WandaVision" premier).
But if you don't have Disney+, one could feel a little bit left out.  Val (sorry, I lied: brevity) appearing in BLACK WIDOW wasn't a big deal, especially since BLACK WIDOW was almost certainly supposed to be her intro to the MCU and not "Falcon and the Winter Soldier."  But "Loki" feels bigger: like it's setting up the entire next big event.  I wonder how much not having the streaming service could be a detriment to the movie fans uninterested/unable to subscribe to Disney+.

Now, Kevin Feige is a comics nerd: he got his first big break working on the original X-MEN film because he knew so much about the comics.  He's surely familiar with huge crossover events, and how one could read just the main book (for example, Marvel's Civil War story), skip all the crossovers they're not interested in, maybe continue to read their favorite main titles (like Spidey, since that's a popular book), and still be mostly in the loop.  The crossovers in other books fill in some gaps, add to the story, color in details, and include more characters: maybe like a bonus.  So it's plausible/probably the films will do the same thing: keep everything nice and neat, with folks up-to-date w/Disney+ series getting 'bonus content' but folks w/out the streaming service getting the gist of the stories, and complete movie stories, w/out missing out on too important details.
The fact Disney/Marvel have said there aren't plans to release the streaming series to Blu-ray makes sense from a business standpoint I suppose, but it seems like they may be shutting out some fans (though, honestly, at $8 someone can just pay for 1 month of Disney+ and binge everything in 30 days to get caught up before a big movie).

What do you guys think: those of you w/out Disney+ do you feel like you're missing out?  Obviously only time will tell, I suppose...

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe Disney+ Poll
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 10:54:07 AM »
We all went to see Black Widow in the theatre and then came home and I bought it on Disney+ to rewatch.  Feige is a genius, just take all my money.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:16:24 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 12:00:15 PM »
I can honestly say that I more excited for the upcoming Disney+ shows than the upcoming movies.  They are doing such a good job with these shows and the feel more comic booky due to the serial format.  Very "when we last left our heroes."

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 12:14:04 PM »
Most 'normal' people watch pieces of the MCU and don't feel the need to see everything. They just need a brief recap at the beginning of each film to know the basic background and they are good to go. I'll admit to being in this category myself at times (depends on the property and how long it's been since I've seen the preceding films). I think these people will get along just fine (and enjoy future MCU films just as much) without having seen the Disney+ series.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 12:34:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Most 'normal' people watch pieces of the MCU and don't feel the need to see everything. They just need a brief recap at the beginning of each film to know the basic background and they are good to go. I'll admit to being in this category myself at times (depends on the property and how long it's been since I've seen the preceding films). I think these people will get along just fine (and enjoy future MCU films just as much) without having seen the Disney+ series.
Totally.  A good friend of mine that I work with, has seen less than half of the MCU films: and even then, not the back 1/2 of AGE OF ULTRON or any of the last 2 AVENGERS films.  He digs the Captain America movies, really disliked the Iron Man movies, and liked some of the Thor movies (mostly RAGNAROK, and various bits of the others).  He also likes the Spidey films; skipped CAPTAIN MARVEL & BLACK PANTHER, liked the first GotG but hasn't seen the sequel yet.

That being said, he _LOVED_ "WandaVision" and "Loki" (hasn't watched FatWS).  I had to school him about Wanda & The Vision and get him up to date, and like you said he was able to follow "Loki" just fine with all of the recaps and exposition dumps.  Now, he's single and not a comic book guy at all, but he does like genre movies and TV so he kind of straddles "our world:" he's a civilian in my mind, but a target audience for Marvel/Disney (though in his mid-50's likely not the target demo  :P ).  I always consider my parents are more 'normal' audience members when it comes to movies.  They typically see lots of movies (a couple a month pre-COVID), and have seen nearly all, if not all, of the MCU films.  They've really liked "Loki" (I'm expecting a long convo when I talk to them this weekend, having to explain who He Who Remains, the Multiverse, etc is and how that all fits into the world).  They seemed to have a little trouble following "Loki," but they enjoyed it none the less.  They haven't seen the other two series

I'm probably overthinking, but after contemplating the "Loki" season finale and thinking about how it seemingly impacted the MCU in a big way, I was curious to hear if anyone thinks they're missing out by not seeing the Disney+ series.  You're right: Feige and the creative teams he hires for the films/series to AMAZING jobs and making these work on their own for the most part.  It's not quite like turning on RETURN OF THE JEDI w/out having seen any other Star Wars movies before it