Author Topic: FoCC Discord group opening up.  (Read 8489 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: FoCC Discord group opening up.
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 07:12:48 AM »
A huge thanks go out to the moderating team at the discord group- it was an amazing tool during con.

[member=4102]rickythump[/member] and [member=13]Car_Low[/member]  did a great job managing & adjusting as the event was occuring.
Great help by [member=3236]stl_ben[/member] and [member=4801]BenEatsRice[/member]

as i posted in the discord group

First- I want to thank @everyone, especially the admins for making this a success - @Carlo [member=4102]rickythump[/member] ,  A sincere thank you to you both for jumping in at the last min and putting this together. It is amazing how well it worked!! They've earned a lot of good con karma in my book :wink: But it wouldn't have worked as well without everyone's contributions and willingness to follow the organizational structure. Thanks go to everyone for contributing to the group knowledge!

Second a brief word on where we see it going in the next few month- This has not been fleshed out so it's a rough idea and ricky&carlo will have ideas too ;)
At some point we'll be doing a restructuring here - carlo indicated he has some ideas on how to make it easier for us all. I hope to open a thread up for suggestions etc all. I also want to put together some 'how to's' for folks who are less then experienced with discord so we can refine the alerts etc.

I also need to remind folks this discord group is an extension of a year round group of folks that go to conventions. Collectively our members go to hundreds of conventions every year across the country so if you find yourself attending NYCC, MondoCon, GenCon, DragonCon etc.... join and contribute to the forum at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  We may also help folk connect to form friendships and working relationships through out the entire year.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 08:15:34 AM »
Once I got the hang of things (which didn't take too long), this worked so great! Thanks to all of the admins especially, and everyone for the great intel!

Playing the swag game on Sunday (that's just me calling it that) was fun. I finally got in on the legendary extra bag handout! Carlo though! He was the swag king!
Ang

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 09:29:40 AM »

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 07:25:30 PM »
new @hotels role for any surprise reservations as they usually go quick

Offline Deose

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2019, 11:57:10 AM »
Oh dang, I missed this! I love Discord (and Telegram) for mobile messaging. I see that the link has been removed. Is this only going to be utilized during the actual Live Con or will it be a year round group we can be in?

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2019, 12:37:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh dang, I missed this! I love Discord (and Telegram) for mobile messaging. I see that the link has been removed. Is this only going to be utilized during the actual Live Con or will it be a year round group we can be in?

Also curious about this! It appears it didn't appear during my unread dashboard, but I'd still love to join the discord for the future.

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2019, 05:09:44 PM »
We’re doing some restructuring of the discord. We basically put this hastily all together in the two weeks before con. Once everything is ready we’ll let everyone know and open it back up to new members.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2019, 05:24:19 PM »
I believe it will be avalile year round but this is the place to ask the larger questions/ do the research/ find the buying groups etc
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2019, 07:09:22 PM »
I feel so old.  Can someone explain what Discord is?  Sounds like something I should know about.

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2019, 07:22:11 PM »
I feel so old.  Can someone explain what Discord is?  Sounds like something I should know about.

Its basically Slack for video games. Or in simpler terms a instant messaging/voice app. You can have dedicated categories for certain things like we had a hall h channel for example.

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2019, 09:54:37 PM »
Thanks to our discord channels, I was able to help out 4 of us with Mondo, Marvel and Hallmark exclusives!   

That’s a whole lot better than the previous primary purpose of discord in my life which was a means by which my online gaming guild leader could scream at us.  (Totally not kidding either!!).

Thank you so much mods for setting it up!   Going forward, “I see this as an absolute win” as Hulk would say. 

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2019, 08:25:21 AM »
Thanks to our discord channels, I was able to help out 4 of us with Mondo, Marvel and Hallmark exclusives!   

Thank you [member=819]brand4d2[/member] !!

Offline meecheles

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2019, 10:38:10 AM »
I'm still trying to understand The Discord group. I see there are different channels to follow for things you maybe interested in. Am I close in my understanding of the purpose of the Discord group?

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2019, 11:55:48 AM »
I'm still trying to understand The Discord group. I see there are different channels to follow for things you maybe interested in. Am I close in my understanding of the purpose of the Discord group?
correct, it's also a lot quicker coversation- wise- which makes it easier to get info across in tense situations. I had hoped the chat box would do the same thing but it's not as fast as discord.
think exclusive droppes, tix sales etc
and yes
it works best to only follow the things u like

this area is still waywayway better for long term chatting- like findin and getting ready for the tix drop's etc

Offline Deose

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2019, 12:37:18 PM »
Oh snap, is the discord open again?

Offline meecheles

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 22