Author Topic: Disney+ She-Hulk  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Disney+ She-Hulk
« on: September 21, 2020, 12:23:26 PM »
Looks like Tatiana Maslany (from Orphan Black) will star.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Re: Disney+ She-Hulk
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 02:47:47 PM »
Looks like Tatiana Maslany (from Orphan Black) will star.

Her performance(s) in OB were amazing. She'll be awesome in this.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:16:26 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 08:26:53 AM »
Well, now this series has premiered, and I think it's fun that we have a legit sitcom in the MCU!  Tatiana Maslany is wonderful as the title character, and the first ep. did a nice job of setting up the premise without _really_ delving into much of a story.  I'll be curious to see if Marvel goes an entirely different route with this one: like, will this be far more episodic with more stand-alone eps than we've seen thus far?  I think for the most part the closest we've seen to a sitcom format was WandaVision, which seemingly started with a sitcom/stand-alone eps format while kind of transitioning to a season-long story arc.  This _could_ be an opportunity for Marvel to go in a very different direction for them, and so far they've set up a fun character & situation.  I was a little surprised w/ep. 1 how much time was devoted to Bruce training Jennifer; I figured that would be a short 'montage' and was kinda surprised it was the bulk of the episode.  I don't say that in a negative way, and it makes sense for Marvel to 'play it safe' so to speak with leaning into an already established popular character to 'ease' folks into a new one.  I presume Bruce won't be a big part going forward, and he made for a fun 'contrast' to Jennifer.

I've heard from a TV critic friend who has seen the first 4 or 5 episodes HAS said that all of those have credit scenes, and if they are as fun as ep. 1 we're in for a bit of a treat!  The only (maybe) bummer in my experience is when the creatives made the decision not to make this a long-format trial series: so while Jennifer is a lawyer, and the series focuses on her job to some extent, we won't be seeing drawn-out courtroom drama.  Feels like a potential missed opportunity, but I'm not going to make a judgement about that yet.  This will be a fun series, I think, and I look forward to a Marvel sitcom!

Some other positives:
* bringing Sakaarans back into the MCU mix is fun & I wonder how this might figure into future Hulk/She-Hulk storylines
* I appreciated Bruce being emotional about his loss of a friend: not only fun hinting at the Science Bromance fans dug in AVENGERS, but bringing real human emotions into a character like Hulk is a nice reminder that Hulk at heart is indeed just another guy dealing with his life - more 3 dimensional
* wouldn't surprise me if this season ends with Hulk on a rage & Jenn having to bring him back down - that would add some nice narrative symmetry to the series.
* fun that they brought in Titania as Jenn's first intro into the world as She-Hulk.  She was first introduced in the Secret Wars comics before becoming a She-Hulk foe: starting as a supervillain and eventually turning into more of an antihero.  As always with MCU stuff like this, it's always fascinating to see Marvel slip in a comic character or name to use however they feel.  Sometimes that character is just a fun name they use but kind of repurpose for the film (maybe like Aldrich Killian, to an extent), and sometimes it's a character they like to bring back now and again like Brock Rumalo/Crossbones.  It'll be fun to see if Titania pops up again either in this series or in the future: she was a member of the Frightful Four, the antithesis of the Fantastic Four (along with Klaw).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 11:13:25 AM by perc2100 »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 07:00:33 PM »
we watched the first ep last night in the watch party
really fun

we had two groups going one for the folks who had disney and the other for folks without.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 02:27:11 PM »
I enjoyed the first episode
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 03:00:23 PM »
I had my doubts but enjoyed the first episode.  Looking forward to more. Some of the things I particularly liked:

1.  Breaking the 4th wall--not too often but spiced it up just right.

2.  She-Hulk is powerful without denigrating the Hulk.

3. It looks like she will have some court cases that will truly be fun...and need her, uh. specific skill set.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 04:26:14 PM by marcia29 »
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 03:58:01 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised at this.  I mean, I was looking forward to it, but this first episode just hit great.  Thought it was kinda corny how they introduced how the character inherited hulk powers, but it still worked.  And the instances where she broke the 4th wall was very Deadpool-esque. And, the whole episode just *looked great*...I mean, it had an almost movie/cinema quality...thought it went over very well.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 06:01:17 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised at this.  I mean, I was looking forward to it, but this first episode just hit great.  Thought it was kinda corny how they introduced how the character inherited hulk powers, but it still worked.  And the instances where she broke the 4th wall was very Deadpool-esque. And, the whole episode just *looked great*...I mean, it had an almost movie/cinema quality...thought it went over very well.
Yeah that was a moment where I recalled the "Mystery Science Theater 3000" theme of 'If you're wondering how Joel eats & breathes, and other science facts (lalala); then repeat to yourself 'it's just a show, I should really just relax'" and roll with it  :P 
I was more amused that they kept the original comic book 'conceit' of Jennifer having short hair, while She-Hulk magically had long hair (sort of how Thunderbolt Ross has a mustache while Red Hulk doesn't)   :P :P :P

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 10:41:39 AM »
S1e2 gets into the nitty gritty of the premise of the story: you know, the whole Attorney at Law portion.  This ep once again does a good job of balancing story, drama (Jen losing her job/getting a new job/repping the super-being/man who fought her cousin way back in Marvel phase 1, etc) as well as the comedy (Jennifer's family dynamic, the explicit map on which bathroom to poop in, etc).  I feel like ep. 1 was introducing characters, while ep. 2 is the set-up for the story arcs of the series.  We get Tim Roth as Emil Blonsky/Abomination, back into the MCU for the first time since 2008 (though we DID get Abomination in SHANG-CHI) which is always a highlight for me. 

I think the different tones were handled well, with Jen having to 'deal' with her family being the most relatable any Marvel movie/series has ever felt so far (I have a Muslim woman friend who said MS. MARVEL was so accurate with the Muslim family/community dynamic she half-joked that she must have grown up with the writers and they used her life as a model)!  Amusing stuff for sure!  And the series keeps Jen feeling a bit uncomfortable as She-Hulk (and uncomfortable w/her super-being moniker): I appreciate that the series feels honest about those feelings/doubts/uncomfortableness w/out that being the focus - the series knows it's a sitcom at heart and keeps it relatively light.
I really got into this episode, and it felt like a well-paced ride: it was a rare time lately where I was legit upset the episode ended, feeling "there's so much to tell, why are they cutting this so short?!" which inevitably is the goal of series (to make the audience want to see more).  They left us with cliffhangers of Abomination escaping (and now we know this series kind of runs concurrent to SHANG-CHI), as well as Hulk seemingly bailing from earth to head back to Sakaar for some unknown reason.
It was also interesting to get Blansky's side of the story, and he had a good point: a legit star soldier, injected with experimental drugs ala Rogers that turned him into a Hulk-fighting monster ordered to capture or destroy the Hulk monster ravaging through the city.  It's a realistic take for a criminal, of course, to presume they're in the right but Blansky does have a point that maybe as a human he shouldn't be held responsible for actions he was generally under orders to do & had little control over himself.  How this plays out in court will be a different story, and I look forward to seeing Jennifer/She-Hulk in the courtroom (though showrunner has said this is not a courtroom drama/comedy and won't focus on the courtroom aspects of the character/stories).  Nonetheless I'm curious to see how legally this all plays out, and this is the first taste of the legalities of MCU vigilantism and whatnot.  I kinda hope this series tackles more than just a notorious MCU bad guy, and perhaps a costumed hero has to go on trial for one reason or another.

And what SHOULD we make of Bruce going back to Sakaar?!  We don't know anything about his time there other than what we see in THOR: RAGNAROK, and he did spend roughly 2 years there.  We have plenty of fans speculating on a "World War Hulk" storyline, which is plausible, but I don't want to get into rampant fanboy speculation. I'm just enjoying Hulk returning to space/Sakaar and look forward to that story 'ride' as it occurs.  Fascinating it appeared he's flying away in the same make of spaceship that ran him off the rode in ep. 1, but the pilot must've made nice and apologized for the accident off-screen.  It didn't appear that Hulk was captured, or being held against his will at that time: it feels like he's going back to Sakaar willingly.  This is a relatively major story point, and I'm really curious to see where we go.

And of course, the ep. ended with Abomination breaking out of his cell and hooking up for the fight we see in SHANG-CHI: that fight felt 'friendly,' between Abomination and Wong, with the two hanging out together and talking about the staged-ness of the battle.  Wong opened a portal at the end of that bit which sent Abomination (seemingly) back to his cell, so I look forward to seeing how that plays out back in New York, how (if at all) Wong may fit into this story, and what kind of problems this underground fight club causes Jen's case to free Blansky.

Fun times!

Also fun?  These easter eggs (a few I didn't noticed until the 2nd time I watched):
* Wolverine may already be running around the MCU!  When Nikki is helping Jen search for a new job, Jen is doomscrolling though a website that gives us the headline ‘Man fights with metal claws in bar brawl’  That sure sounds like Logan to me, and given his longevity it would absolutely be running around the MCU somewhere already.  Ms. Marvel already set-up Mutants in the MCU with her origins, and the score to that reveal include a nice musical quote of the X-Men: The Animated Series theme.  Nice tease!
* Also a shoutout to ETERNALS Just beneath the 'man w/claws' headline is the headline ‘Why is there a giant statue of a man sticking out of the ocean?’  I saw some people criticizing the fact that events from ETERNALS haven't been mentioned yet in successor MCU films, and here's at least a headline dealing with that climactic phenomena
* Jen's lock screen = America's Ass Ep. 1 already established Jen is infatuated with Steve Rogers/Captain America, and her lock screen is Ant-Man's favorite costumed butt.  Funny punchline to an ep 1 joke
* Damage Control set-up? Jen's dad questions aloud in one of the funnier MCU scenes to me (again: this would TOTALLY be my family if I were a mutant or something - hell, it's my family just me being a musician, which most consider some sort of weird sorcery beyond their comprehension) what happens to Hawkeye's arrows after he shoots them in battle.  We saw a slight reference to that in the Hawkeye series, where he needed to collect them from Police impound to recycle.  But this _could_ set up a favorite premise in the comics of mine: Damage Control.  We've already seen Damage Control is being used in the MCU for a(nother) SHIELD-esque organization, but Jen's dad's question could lead to this organization, tasked with cleaning up and rebuilding messes the Avengers make against bad guys, into the MCU.  Or, I'm just hopeful, since I legit think a Damage Control sitcom could be a homerun
* wink to SILENCE OF THE LAMBS I dunno if this is an easter egg, as it's pretty obvious, but when Jen sees Blansky in his Supermax cell, she references, "...fava beans and a nice chianti:" a reference to a particularly gnarly murder of Dr. Lector's mentioned in the Oscar-winning film.
* Seven Soulmates?! Blonsky mentions 'seven soulmates' he's been corresponding with: mentions them a few times, actually, which makes it feel important.  Who could they be?  Maybe a future member of the Defenders, with his correspondence being with Valentina Allegra de Fontaine (and her 'team' of US Agent, Yelena from BLACK WIDOW/Hawkeye, and whomever else Valentina may have recruited we don't know yet.  FWIW Abomination has been somewhat of a 'repentant hero' at times in the comics, so Blanksy's turn to a good guy isn't out of the realm.  If Thunderbolts is shaping up to be an anti-Avengers, it makes sense that Valentina would need the anti-Hulk, and with Thunderbolt Ross out of the picture as Red Hulk (presumably, since William Hurt died - they could recast him, or just go with "he's Red Hulk now" but that's unknown) it makes sense to bring in Abomination.
* Hulk is a 'completely different person' now  ;D With turn of dialogue makes a joke of Banner's recasting from the Ed Norton Bruce of INCREDIBLE HULK to the Mark Ruffalo Bruce we all know and love today.  Marvel did something similar when they recast Rhodes for IRON MAN 2 when Cheadle addressed Tony as the new Rhodes for the first time on-screen by saying, "Look, it's me. I'm here. Deal with it. Let's move on."  That was slightly more subtle than here in She-Hulk, with Jen even taking a beat to go a bit meta and look at the camera to accentuate the joke.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 10:03:58 AM »
How fun is this series?!  Marvel Studios has gifted us a legit MCU sitcom w/She-Hulk: Attorney at Law, and the last few episodes have REALLY leaned into the comic/sitcom nature for fun, broad laughs!  I know people who worked on the original DOCTOR STRANGE who've said Benedict Wong is incredibly funny, and I'm hyped that She-Hulk is utilizing his comedic sensibilities.  We're almost at the half way point, and I kinda love that there isn't some massive ongoing plot-point the show is centered on: it's been more about having fun with the characters in their own little worlds.  One of the things I loved about the original DEADPOOL film is it had small-scale/personal stakes instead of earth/universe-shattering implications.  While She-Hulk seems to play at times on the fringes of that (the Hulk going back to space thing, for example), it so far has generally been small stakes/personal mini-stories with She-Hulk/Jennifer and I'm digging that MCU change of pace.  I'm not super familiar with the comics, though I've read a bit of Dan Slott's run and this series feels right in line with what he did; he even recently posted a broad outline of a typical issue and the last few episodes feel right in line with what he was doing & I'm loving it!

What do you all think?  I get if someone isn't interested in the format (an MCU sitcom), or in a contrast feel the humor is _TOO_ broad but I'm fortunately letting myself ignore nitpicks in order to have fun.  The most recent episode w/the low-rent "wizard-in-training turned lame magician was such a fun episode.  I look forward to seeing more of stuff like that
BUT, I'd also welcome, say, Jennifer teaming up w/Bruce to see the two Hulks battle a more formidable foe as well.  This series, unlike most, if not all, of the previous MCU Disney+ series, feels like it has a lot more room to breathe and exist on a broader scale and I hope this series sticks around for awhile!

* Seven Soulmates?! Blonsky mentions 'seven soulmates' he's been corresponding with: mentions them a few times, actually, which makes it feel important.  Who could they be?  Maybe a future member of the Defenders, with his correspondence being with Valentina Allegra de Fontaine (and her 'team' of US Agent, Yelena from BLACK WIDOW/Hawkeye, and whomever else Valentina may have recruited we don't know yet.  FWIW Abomination has been somewhat of a 'repentant hero' at times in the comics, so Blanksy's turn to a good guy isn't out of the realm.  If Thunderbolts is shaping up to be an anti-Avengers, it makes sense that Valentina would need the anti-Hulk, and with Thunderbolt Ross out of the picture as Red Hulk (presumably, since William Hurt died - they could recast him, or just go with "he's Red Hulk now" but that's unknown) it makes sense to bring in Abomination
I just wanted to throw this back out there to show how wildly wrong I (and other fanatics) were, here.  The joke of the 3rd episode, when we do indeed see Blansky's seven soulmates are not any type of MCU characters, was a pretty funny broad joke that really cracked me up.  That ep in particular was already having fun anticipating some of the dopey internet criticisms of the series (being "woke" for having a strong female character, "female Hulk" nonsense, etc) and It's hard not to think that at least on one level the creatives behind-the-scenes didn't set up the "Seven Soulmates" in ep 2 knowing how dopey comic nerds like myself would way overanalyze that situation, only to find out it was a weird and benign as any other prison pen pal stuff in real life: just seven ladies wanting to get closer to Abomination/Blanksy.   :P
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 10:07:51 AM by perc2100 »

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 02:54:20 PM »
Everything the above said...pure comedy...the singular episodic nature, it feels very down-to-earth and not this grandiose opera, which is very, very cool.

And speaking of over-analyzing...
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2022, 09:50:56 AM »
Everything the above said...pure comedy...the singular episodic nature, it feels very down-to-earth and not this grandiose opera, which is very, very cool.

And speaking of over-analyzing...

Yeah the Marvel nerds (myself often included in that moniker) wanting to add/insert
into every detail has gotten really comical to me as well: heck, any uber over-analyzing (again: GUILTY myself  :P ) at this point is comical, and I've legit been waiting for She-Hulk to comment on our at-times silliness of reading too much into things!  She-Hulk having fun/a lol at the "Hulk gone woke because it's a girl thing now" stuff opens the door to take the next step of "yeah, the seven soulmates are just nutty people who wrote a notorious super villain: you feel silly for thinking it had some deep universe-shaking thing, huh?! ;D" especially with She-Hulk/Jennifer talking to the audience directly/breaking the 4th wall.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2022, 10:31:44 AM »
Boy has She-Hulk: Attorney At Law been a super fun series!  I've really enjoyed seeing a full-blown MCU sitcom, and some of these episodes feel like the best adaptation of a Marvel comic series yet (the Wang-centric magician episode felt like it could've been a straight adaptation of a Dan Slott issue - it was funny and followed his 'formula' for She-Hulk comics to a letter!).  And just as it's hit its stride, they bring back Daredevil to the MCU!
After his fun, albeit too-brief for fans, cameo as Peter Parker's attorney in NO WAY HOME, we get to see not only Matt Murdock the lawyer in action, but also Daredevil.  To see Daredevil fight dramatically was exciting, even if She-Hulk busts in and makes jokes throughout about the character's history/tone (bon mots about "while you're just taking your time picking them off one-by-one..." or making light of him being so brooding or whatnot).  Not only that, but this feels like the first time we've seen Matt Murdock/Charlie Cox be both funny AND ooze charisma!  I dug both the actor & the Netflix series, but I especially like Marvel Studios reminding us that Daredevil wasn't always the Frank Miller dark and dour hero: Daredevil can be fun and comedic.  And Marvel Studios goes the extra 'bold' step by delivering us Daredevil in a version of his original yellow costume: something that absolutely would've felt VERY out of place in the Netflix series tonally, but works great with She-Hulk (without feeling campy).
And Marvel even came up with a fun, relatively organic way to bring Murdock/Daredevil into the series.

While I thought She-Hulk: Attorney at Law had promise to be entertaining when it was announced, I never would've guessed the series would be amongst my favorites of Disney+ so far!  When Jen mentions there's only one episode left, I legit yelled "NOOO!" at my TV at the thought of the season coming to an end soon.  It feels like they have so much still to wrap-up, but hopefully a second season won't be delayed/too far off.  Loki s2 it will launch 1.5-2ish years after the last season, and I'm not patient having to wait a couple of years for more She-Hulk!  And this isn't even so much a "I dig this character and want to see more of her:" meaning, while she _might_ show up in future MCU projects coming soon (ala Kamala in the Captain Marvel sequel MARVELS), I really dig the tone of this series and want more.

Which, I guess is the job of a good series: to leave you wanting more, but only because you're highly entertained and not because of a cliffhanger.  I don't mind waiting for a good quality series (amiright, Mandalorian?!  :-X ), and this is a fun, entertaining series I look forward to seeing how the season ends, but also where it goes in future seasons (hopefully - I don't recall there being any formal announcements of a s2 plan)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2022, 07:39:22 PM »
Legit hope I posted that gif correctly because this season absolutely deserves a standing ovation!  This series someone was absolutely NOT a straight-up adaptation of a Dan Slott written She-Hulk: Attorney At Law comic issue yet 100% absolutely felt like it could be.  It felt like anyone who's even remotely a fan of the She-Hulks books, or of Marvel comics in general, will really have fun with this series, and all while Marvel Studios has its own fun with a genre they've reinvented and have been wildly successful with for the last nearly 15 years.  This series was so atypical of an MCU film/series and I love that we live in a world where a studio can go a bit off the rails and have fun with itself: I mean, we're talking about _comic books_ here - they don't ALWAYS have to be so self-serious and galaxy-endangered, huh?!

And this week's finale is the delicious cherry on top of a wonderful milkshake.  I mean, I thought for a moment we were legit gonna get a Kevin Feige cameo/appearance for a bit there (fun trivia: I watch everything nowadays with Closed Captioning on, so I kept wondering "WTF do they keep referring to Feige as K.E.V.I.N. albeit inconsistently?!"  :P ).  As the story arc was starting to unfold I was bracing myself for a feeling of "well, the series was mostly great with what's shaping up to be a fairly meh finale, but I won't hold this against it" only for the show to almost literally slap me back into its greatness.  And I'm pretty sure at least one television writer had a cameo (I haven't deep-dived into that scene yet to play "who is everyone sitting at the table in the room" but how great would it be if
.  She-Hulk broke the fourth wall constantly in the Slott's comics, and while Jenn/She-Hulk did throughout the series I LOVE that they went full
. I had the pleasure of not being spoiled one bit before seeing this finale, so I don't want to spoil the fun here, though I do maybe hint slightly at it.

Really well done: I don't know if this is my _favorite_ Disney+ series, but it's among my favorites: this, WandaVision, and Loki are amongst the best.  I may find over time this is easily the most entertaining series of the Disney+ era, and I absolutely want to see more Tatiana Maslany in the MCU - be it in movies (
) or more seasons of this.  Really great job of Marvel delivering us a different tone, while still making quality TV, showing that they are _STILL_ the gold standard of comic stories, consistently delivering for its fans.