Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127738 times)

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #1125 on: June 15, 2021, 09:56:58 AM »
This is where travel restrictions will become interesting. 

I'm going to Iceland in September, and they currently require a negative test upon arrival.  I'm fully vaccinated (and will get the booster if I can before then).  But I could still test positive upon arrival, with symptoms, and have to quarantine.  But I'm not contagious to others (right? isn't that what they say?).  So it it worth it to take the risk of going somewhere just to have to quarantine once there?  Or will there be different rules for the fully vaccinated?  And can they trust my word that I'm fully vaxed, or will there be a *voluntary* tracking for those of us who want to use it?

So many questions.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 08:23:53 AM by TardisMom »

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #1126 on: June 15, 2021, 12:45:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'm going to Iceland in September, and they currently require a negative test upon arrival.  I'm fully vaccinated (and will get the booster if I can before then).  But I could still test positive upon arrival, with symptoms, and have to quarantine.  But I'm not contagious to others (right? isn't that what they say?).  So it it worth it to take the risk of going somewhere just to have to quarantine once there?  Or will there be different rules for the fully vaccinated?  And can they trust my work that I'm fully vaxed, or will there be a *voluntary* tracking for those of us who want to use it?

So many questions.
The EU states have just announced an agreement between them all that will allow travel restrictions to be lifted based on vaccination status. Basically, double jabbed and travel in Europe is fine.
I think it is due to start from beginning of July.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1127 on: Today at 09:39:27 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #1127 on: June 15, 2021, 01:02:18 PM »
The EU states have just announced an agreement between them all that will allow travel restrictions to be lifted based on vaccination status. Basically, double jabbed and travel in Europe is fine.
I think it is due to start from beginning of July.

That's all dependent on someone holding a digital vaccine passport, either on a digital device(phone) or printed on paper(QR code).  Europe will accept other countries digital vaccine passports, but it's up to each country to issue their own.  So far the United States has stated it's intentions to not join any of these digital efforts.  We are sticking with scribbles on a card.  European countries are still debating whether that will be good enough.  Some want the evidence to be verifiable.  Others say a vaccination card is too easy to forge.  You can buy them online for example.  California is working on a digital (do not call it a passport) vaccine certification.  It looks like a digital vaccine passport, it works like a digital vaccine passport but probably for PC reasons it will not be called a digital vaccine passport.  Hopefully that will be accepted by other countries.

These digital passports aren't just to get pass the border.  They will be used to allow or deny entry into places like stores and hotels.  All in all, this is the model that China used to such good effect this entire last year.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 01:26:45 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1128 on: June 15, 2021, 01:16:32 PM »
Also because they are generally relatively "harmless," in the sense of no serious symptoms, hospitalizations, deaths, etc.

That's true, until it's not.  That is how covid moved from bats to humans after all.  Rightly so, it was not considered a big deal at first.  It happens all the time.  Recently there have been multiple cases of a dog coronavirus infecting humans.  When these things happen, the human has little or no symptoms.  More importantly, the virus isn't able to replicate and infected other humans.  So it's considered "harmless".  That is until it mutates to be able to infect other people then it's off to the races.  Which is why the only way to reduce this happening is to reduce people getting infected by viruses that happen in other species.  Which is why there have been the calls to stop consuming wild meat.  Since the more virus that jump from animals to humans, the more chances that it will mutate into being a virus that can infect other humans which means we have another pandemic.

For the same reason, we need to limit if not entirely stop transmission between humans whether vaccinated or not.  Even if a vaccinated person doesn't get or feel sick, the fact that they caught it means that the infected vaccinated person becomes a petri dish for covid to maybe mutate into something that can defeat the vaccines.

Vax'ed people won't die even if they get the UK variant. right?

Unfortunately no, fully vaccinated people have died from covid.  No UK variant needed.  It's just very rare.  It's happened from the start of vaccinations.  There have been breakthrough cases from the start and some of them have died.  That's why I wish the government would stop saying it's 100% effective against death.  It was in the trial.  But comparatively the trial had very few people.  In the real world there have been deaths.  It is a possibility.  Saying it's 100% effective explicitly says it's not possible.  How many people note the qualifier?  What's wrong with saying it's over 99% effective?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 01:28:22 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #1129 on: June 15, 2021, 11:26:29 PM »

I'm going to Iceland in September, and they currently require a negative test upon arrival.  I'm fully vaccinated (and will get the booster if I can before then).  But I could still test positive upon arrival, with symptoms, and have to quarantine.  But I'm not contagious to others (right? isn't that what they say?).  So it it worth it to take the risk of going somewhere just to have to quarantine once there?  Or will there be different rules for the fully vaccinated?  And can they trust my work that I'm fully vaxed, or will there be a *voluntary* tracking for those of us who want to use it?

So many questions.

No if you are positive for covid even if you're vaxxed, you can still pass covid to others even if they're vaxxed too. The risk is lower for vaccinated people but it still exists. It's why I'm still going to wear a mask when I go out and for work. I'm a little concerned that some of the elderly may not have gotten enough antibodies even from the 2-dose vaccines and I don't want to risk the chance of getting my parents sick when I visit them.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #1130 on: June 17, 2021, 11:05:22 AM »

One article that isn’t behind a paywall that pretty much says the same thing from June 11th: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 11:14:05 AM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #1131 on: June 17, 2021, 07:00:29 PM »

It is about a recent study focusing on COVID-19 and brain damage. Overall, nasty and evil virus.
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #1132 on: June 18, 2021, 08:49:51 AM »

It is about a recent study focusing on COVID-19 and brain damage. Overall, nasty and evil virus.

This virus is weird ib that it basically can screw up the body in any way.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1133 on: June 18, 2021, 02:29:10 PM »

I block social media, such as Twitter, so I can't read that.  I'm assuming it's about the MRI study.  Covid and brain damage has been talked about since the Chinese warned about it last year.  Since then researchers in the rest of the world have confirmed it.  As I've brought up a few times in the last year, covid isn't just a respiratory illness, it's a whole body illness.  Just because someone has no symptoms doesn't mean they got through it without consequences.  Many people that had asymptomatic infections are now long haulers.  Their problems showed up later.  Problems including brain damage.  That's another reason why when I hear from some that it's not a problem for the fully vaccinated to get infected with covid since they have no little or no symptoms, I take it with a grain of salt.  Time will tell.  There have been fully vaccinated people that have been infected and are now long haulers.  So it's being studied.  Personally, even though I'm fully vaccinated, I'm doing my best not to catch it.

We tend to only think about covid in terms of dying or surviving.  But there are a lot of steps between the two.  I'd like to avoid feeling like I have a cold for who knows how long.  For some, it's been months.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #1134 on: June 18, 2021, 03:48:48 PM »
California has unveiled a system where Californians can digitally access their Covid-19 vaccine cards.  The state insists it's not a passport.  It will ask for your first and your last name and your date of birth.  It will then ask you to pick a four-digit PIN number.  Finally, depending on how you want to receive your link, put either your cell number or your E-mail address.  If the records match, you’ll get a link right away and remember your PIN number. 

WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1135 on: June 18, 2021, 11:35:48 PM »
California has unveiled a system where Californians can digitally access their Covid-19 vaccine cards.  The state insists it's not a passport.  It will ask for your first and your last name and your date of birth.  It will then ask you to pick a four-digit PIN number.  Finally, depending on how you want to receive your link, put either your cell number or your E-mail address.  If the records match, you’ll get a link right away and remember your PIN number. 

I don't like it.  It isn't a secure way to do it at all.  All that information you can find out about me by googling.  So if someone beats me to it, then they can pick a pin and lock me out of my own record.  I sense thousands of bots spinning up in the dark web to take on the challenge.

California already had a process to get your vaccination record.  The difference is that this way at least tried to validate it was someone authorized to get it by requiring government ID of the requester.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1136 on: June 20, 2021, 09:22:08 AM »

Arizona has something similar.  I just registered and it has all my flu vaccine going back to 2013 along with my COVID vaccine info, all on a nice official looking page I can download and print.  I like it.

Offline janray

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 114
« Reply #1137 on: June 21, 2021, 08:36:58 AM »
Arizona has something similar.  I just registered and it has all my flu vaccine going back to 2013 along with my COVID vaccine info, all on a nice official looking page I can download and print.  I like it.

Wow, I didn't realize that the state tracked our Flu vaccinations!

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1138 on: June 21, 2021, 09:39:25 AM »

Wow, I didn't realize that the state tracked our Flu vaccinations!

I didn't either!  It also has the vaccines I got before a trip to Peru.  My husband got his flu shots at work so they don't show up, but mine were at CVS or my doctor's office.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #1139 on: June 21, 2021, 10:22:05 AM »
Random quote of the day from a work meeting:

"Sorry if I sound funny.  First week without a mask and I caught a cold."

Sigh