Author Topic: WonderCon 2013 news  (Read 103659 times)

Offline carmitch

• Exhibit Hall
  • Disabled CCI attendee
  • Liked: 0
Re: WonderCon 2013 news
« Reply #540 on: April 07, 2013, 02:41:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Disneyland Cast Members get free badges/heavily discounted (at least at the last one they did), so if you know a CM, i'd go that route.

If that's true, someone is calling his friend who does ASL interpreting at DLR and DCA.

Offline Bernie Lean

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #541 on: April 09, 2013, 10:25:43 AM »
The real question is, if they have 2 WonderCons in 2014, will we go to both?

And the answer is... maybe. I'd say more than 50% chance...

I'd be 100% committed to Wondercon and whatever they call the Anaheim event, can we please stop calling the Anaheim show Wondercon. Wondercon is a Bay Area event, the Anaheim convention needs a new name with logo and branding. Yes the Anaheim show did sell out of Saturday and 3-day badges but they will never have the vibe and community that that Wondercon has had. I've attended both shows so I can critique without bias unlike those who have attended just 1 of the shows and try to compare one to the other.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #542 on: Today at 06:17:32 AM »

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #542 on: April 09, 2013, 10:26:48 AM »
I'd be 100% committed to Wondercon and whatever they call the Anaheim event, can we please stop calling the Anaheim show Wondercon. Wondercon is a Bay Area event, the Anaheim convention needs a new name with logo and branding. Yes the Anaheim show did sell out of Saturday and 3-day badges but they will never have the vibe and community that that Wondercon has had. I've attended both shows so I can critique without bias unlike those who have attended just 1 of the shows and try to compare one to the other.

It sounds like they plan on calling both shows "WonderCon," but just adding the location.

Yzrfan

WonderCon 2013 news
« Reply #543 on: April 09, 2013, 10:27:37 AM »
So WCA and WCSF

Offline Bernie Lean

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #544 on: April 09, 2013, 10:41:06 AM »
It sounds like they plan on calling both shows "WonderCon," but just adding the location.

Sorry but the Anaheim show needs to get a new name for branding and it's legacy. Wondercon is a name associated with the Bay Area and should remain as such. The only people that has given the Anaheim show props the last 2 years are the ones living in the LA/Orange county area. I've been to the last 2 Anaheim shows and all of the Wondercon shows in the Bay Area since CCI took over and it's no contest that I prefer the Bay Area show.

When Wondercon was last in the Bay Area they had Marvel come back after almost 10 years of being away, Mattel, Kidrobot, Image, Dark Horse, and was growing to be the 2nd biggest comic convention in the U.S. next to SDCC. When the move was made for the Anaheim show for 2012 why do you think Mattel pulled out and Marvel had such a scant booth. It's all about location. Ask any of the CCI Staff of what venue in which they prefer and it's a majority in favor of Moscone instead of the Anaheim Convention Center. Sorry but the mouse loses out to sourdough and the Golden Gate in this argument.

Offline Bernie Lean

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #545 on: April 09, 2013, 10:46:39 AM »
By the way if anyone is wondering why Marvel wasn't at the Anaheim show this year is that one of the reasons in D23 and the other was because the show remained in Anaheim. Axel Alonso, one of the main big wigs at Marvel, is a native San Franciscan and he was paramount in Marvel being at Wondercon in 2011 after more than 10 years being away. When he heard that the 2012 show was going to be in Anaheim he was PO'd so that's why Marvel had such a small booth and when the 2013 show was going to return to Anaheim he had a big say in Marvel not coming back.

It's pretty safe to say that until Wondercon returns to the Bay Area that you won't be seeing Marvel anytime soon.

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
Re: Re: WonderCon 2013 news
« Reply #546 on: April 10, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
Sorry but the Anaheim show needs to get a new name for branding and it's legacy. Wondercon is a name associated with the Bay Area and should remain as such. The only people that has given the Anaheim show props the last 2 years are the ones living in the LA/Orange county area. I've been to the last 2 Anaheim shows and all of the Wondercon shows in the Bay Area since CCI took over and it's no contest that I prefer the Bay Area show.

When Wondercon was last in the Bay Area they had Marvel come back after almost 10 years of being away, Mattel, Kidrobot, Image, Dark Horse, and was growing to be the 2nd biggest comic convention in the U.S. next to SDCC. When the move was made for the Anaheim show for 2012 why do you think Mattel pulled out and Marvel had such a scant booth. It's all about location. Ask any of the CCI Staff of what venue in which they prefer and it's a majority in favor of Moscone instead of the Anaheim Convention Center. Sorry but the mouse loses out to sourdough and the Golden Gate in this argument.

Wow... You're really passionate about WonderCon aren't you? Despite your dislike of the name, the convention is called WonderCon Anaheim. There's no other name for it. Why should we call it something it's not.

Fact is... it's more cost effective to keep the WonderCon brand for this convention. They don't have to spend additional money rebranding the convention, designing new marketing material, and developing the buzz that's already associated with the WonderCon brand. Imagine the amount of money they can Dave if they print things just with WonderCon and have two WonderCon conventions. They'd also spend less by having one logo and customizing it with a city.

Most people already know you shouldn't confuse WonderCon Anaheim with the original WonderCon or SDCC. However, everyone knows WonderCon Anaheim is a convention by Comic-Con International. That's the most important thing it can have. Association with the CCI brand. If they create an entirely new name to brand that'll have to work to get that new name associated with CCI. Not saying it's not possible or likely, it's just a waste of time when WonderCon Anaheim was already established thus year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline EnglishmanInSanDiego

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 120
WonderCon 2013 news
« Reply #547 on: April 11, 2013, 02:06:07 AM »
People, people. Play nice, now.

You let The Man get you down, The Man wins - I say, Damn The Man.
"I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."
Don't let The Man get you down; you do that and The Man wins. I say, Damn The Man. "I cannot lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #548 on: April 12, 2013, 02:45:29 PM »
Here's an interesting blog, that speculates what could happen for WC in 2014 (and CC):

SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Yzrfan

WonderCon 2013 news
« Reply #549 on: April 12, 2013, 02:55:45 PM »
Interesting read. So would it be the San Diego Comic Con of Anaheim. Remember we do have the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #550 on: April 13, 2013, 11:48:53 AM »
By the way if anyone is wondering why Marvel wasn't at the Anaheim show this year is that one of the reasons in D23 and the other was because the show remained in Anaheim. Axel Alonso, one of the main big wigs at Marvel, is a native San Franciscan and he was paramount in Marvel being at Wondercon in 2011 after more than 10 years being away. When he heard that the 2012 show was going to be in Anaheim he was PO'd so that's why Marvel had such a small booth and when the 2013 show was going to return to Anaheim he had a big say in Marvel not coming back.

It's pretty safe to say that until Wondercon returns to the Bay Area that you won't be seeing Marvel anytime soon.

If this is true, then good for him.  Sounds like he wasn't about to be fooled twice.  And unlike most of the fans in NorCal that have lost out, Alonso actually has clout.

Most people already know you shouldn't confuse WonderCon Anaheim with the original WonderCon or SDCC.

I don't agree with this.  They had definitely advertised it as WonderCon (i.e. the "dates and location to be announced" tag on their website), not a new thing.  This is a major reason why a lot of us weren't happy; I don't think that anyone is opposed to simply starting a new con in Anaheim but they were taking a convention that the Bay Area took 25 years to make, and moving it 400 miles away (to an area that already has the major one, no less.)

This is also why I really hadn't been a fan of the idea of ComicCon moving either.  It's been SDCC for over 40 years, not LVCC or ACC.  However -- now that 1) WonderCon Anaheim isn't going anywhere so SoCal still has a con, and 2) one of the main reasons Glanzer and everyone else cited as not using the West Wing of Moscone in 2012 which they were offered, or not looking at other sites in NorCal (i.e. San Jose in 2013...but even San Mateo or Sacramento should have been considered) is that it wasn't big enough--in my opinion they should be consistent and move ComicCon to somewhere that's also big enough...and move it back to San Diego once the expansion is completed.

However, everyone knows WonderCon Anaheim is a convention by Comic-Con International. That's the most important thing it can have. Association with the CCI brand.

Yes, this part I agree with.  I don't mind them calling the new one "WonderCon Anaheim" because two things WonderCon are known for are 1) being the smaller sister convention of Comic-Con and 2) being the Bay Area's comic convention.  Adding "Anaheim" to the name makes it clear that #2 doesn't apply, but #1 can still apply.  So while I don't like it being called just "WonderCon," calling it "WonderCon Anaheim" sounds fine.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 06:41:29 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #551 on: April 30, 2013, 11:20:44 AM »
I just realized:  Wondercon Anaheim = WCA = West Coast Avengers.

Yzrfan

WonderCon 2013 news
« Reply #552 on: April 30, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »
Cool

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #553 on: April 30, 2013, 12:27:24 PM »
LOL!

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #554 on: May 07, 2013, 08:25:33 PM »
You guys can go back and forth on what it should be called. I'm just glad to have a convention near Disneyland with lots of panels and exhibitors

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews