Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211575 times)

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2019, 01:15:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I realize the prevailing attitude for SDCC is downtown or nothing which means downtown no matter what I have to do, but for those who might not be as fortunate or have the right connections it isnt unreasonable to have a concern that some of the better hotels in Mission Valley are not on the early bird sale list and what that might mean. It could mean nothing but if those hotels are no longer in the mix it affects other aspects such as parking, shuttles, public transportation, rental cars, etc. Again, knowing those logistical topics mean nothing to those who will be downtown but it might mean something those who may be end up in Mission Valley.

Totally valid concern.  I'm not only a "downtown or bust" type of person, but a "I need to SEE THE CON CENTER FROM THE HOTEL" type of person.  One year when I ended up stuck in Mission Valley it felt like I went through Hotelpocalypse for nothing.  The hotel I was at was an Early Bird special, so what was the point?

That said, even though Hotel Hell sucks, I feel like you'll have an easier chance getting what you want so you just need to show up and do the thing with relatively low stress.  You'll get an MV hotel.  Which one, though, who knows. For your sake I hope they add your desired hotel to the Early Bird list.  Hotel Hell sucks.

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2019, 08:08:50 PM »
I'm betting on April 3!! Right after WonderCon!

There's no way it could be before April 1, I believe?? If that's true then I can chill under end of March for checking the date  ;D

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #152 on: Today at 03:08:16 AM »

Offline madfly

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2019, 08:27:30 PM »
There's no way it could be before April 1, I believe?? If that's true then I can chill under end of March for checking the date  ;D
I think you are safe until after Wondercon!

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2019, 09:35:01 PM »
Are there buying groups for the hotel sale? How do I join one? Thanks!

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2019, 11:14:06 AM »
Are there buying groups for the hotel sale? How do I join one? Thanks!

No, no buying groups for hotels.  However the forum does help facilitate trades and transfer of rooms between members.  Info and threads and such will be posted once the sale is closer.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4558
« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2019, 05:58:13 PM »
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but you can transfer the name but your card would have already been charged the full amount.  It is also highly unlikely you are going to be able to find someone after the lottery that is going to take over your early bird hotel and pay you full price.

It really depends on where you are at in the hotel transfer.  But if the card has been charged they will not change credit cards.  I would not encourage anyone to take a room that has a down deposit paid if you don't know and trust the person.  Even if they transfer the hotel to you they can dispute that charge at any time. 

If they have not put down payment for the room they can give you the password to the reservation and you can pay for it yourself, change the email and password, and call onpeak to change it to your name.  Ultimately, they still have the reservation number though and can give that to onpeak to gain access.  This is why I say call onpeak and change it to your name.  If they give their name, hopefully, it would flag the person on the phone.   At the end of the day, the person who put the credit card down probably has the most control as far as onpeak is concerned.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2019, 10:19:07 AM »
Just to give everyone a heads up. Due to a number of real life issues, we're going to be dealing with hotels a little differently this year. We're still in the beginning stages of working out the process so i can't go into details.

I will say there will be an area on the forum which opens specifically for the Hotel event. We will be using sheets (google doc) to keep track of what folks want.

I am posting this so people aren't thrown by the different process we'll be using. The new procedures are a reaction to the changing process by OnPeak and tailored to the capabilities of our **VOLUNTEER** staff.

As always be kind to people - Con Karma is real ;)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2019, 10:22:21 AM »
Just to give everyone a heads up. Due to a number of real life issues, we're going to be dealing with hotels a little differently this year. We're still in the beginning stages of working out the process so i can't go into details.

I will say there will be an area on the forum which opens specifically for the Hotel event. We will be using sheets (google doc) to keep track of what folks want.

I am posting this so people aren't thrown by the different process we'll be using. The new procedures are a reaction to the changing process by OnPeak and tailored to the capabilities of our **VOLUNTEER** staff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2019, 12:03:57 PM »

[member=1]alyssa[/member]

Are these new OnPeak changes coming that you're aware of, or are you responding to past experience.  Just curious.  :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #159 on: February 05, 2019, 12:15:48 PM »
[member=1]alyssa[/member]

Are these new OnPeak changes coming that you're aware of, or are you responding to past experience.  Just curious.  :)
past experience!
Last year due to the shift in OnPeak policy on modifying hotel room reservation ownership, we had a *lot* less offers of rooms. We are assuming that parameter remains the same or trends to more restrictive.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #160 on: February 05, 2019, 10:54:00 PM »
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to seeing the new system.

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2019, 06:25:04 AM »
I have a question about the hotel process. If you have to submit your submission and someone else's on the same computer, can you open multiple tabs in the same browser for different member IDs, or is it like the badge sale where you had to have separate browsers for each member ID?

Thanks!

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #162 on: February 06, 2019, 07:07:20 AM »
I have a question about the hotel process. If you have to submit your submission and someone else's on the same computer, can you open multiple tabs in the same browser for different member IDs, or is it like the badge sale where you had to have separate browsers for each member ID?

Thanks!

It's not the same as the badge process.

Last year I opened multiple browsers with the same ID that was sent by CCI
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 08:05:35 AM by sessionka »
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #163 on: February 06, 2019, 07:41:16 AM »
It's not the same as the badge process.

Last year I opened multiple browsers with the same ID that was sent by CCI

Thanks! Just for clarification, will I need the SDCC member ID of the person I'm buying for; and by "SDCC member ID", I mean the one that we use to purchase badges.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2019, 08:00:25 AM »
Thanks! Just for clarification, will I need the SDCC member ID of the person I'm buying for; and by "SDCC member ID", I mean the one that we use to purchase badges.

With the Hotel Sale, assuming nothing has changed, you're filling out a form where you specifying your preferences.  You don't know whether you're going to get your choice or not for a few days.  It's not until you're notified that you submit all the info necessary for the reservation.

There may be a copy of the form somewhere on the forum.
Phasers on Stun!!!