Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211324 times)

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #330 on: March 06, 2019, 10:57:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We didn't attempt the hotel lottery until our 4th year (2015) when the allure of downtown became too great... Now we HAVE to stay downtown, haha.

[member=1817]Violet[/member]

Just curious (again)...

Was there a particular reason you didn't do the lottery in previous years, and what did you do for housing instead.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline madfly

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #331 on: March 06, 2019, 11:12:27 AM »
Please don’t be April 10, that’s when I fly to Star Wars Celebration!
I have a weird suspicion that it will be April 10..What time is your flight?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #332 on: Today at 05:17:24 PM »

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #332 on: March 06, 2019, 11:31:53 AM »
Late enough that I can do the hotel sale and haul ass to the airport.

Offline madfly

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #333 on: March 06, 2019, 11:46:17 AM »
Late enough that I can do the hotel sale and haul a$$ to the airport.
That's good! Just be all packed and ready to go! :)

Offline thawk

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 124
« Reply #334 on: March 06, 2019, 02:30:37 PM »
I don't know why, but I had a Spidey Sense on hotels the other day - feeling like it had to be coming soon.  Feels like 1000 years ago we did the badge sale!
nana nana nana nana BATMAN...!

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #335 on: March 07, 2019, 09:15:13 AM »
[member=1817]Violet[/member]

Just curious (again)...

Was there a particular reason you didn't do the lottery in previous years, and what did you do for housing instead.

Well, our first year (2012) we didn't know anything about the hotel sale, either Early Bird or General. We got lucky and scored badges our first time trying, then booked our hotel the same day. Just looked for something cheap in the general area. We booked at a place called California Suites, which is a couple miles North of Hotel Circle, because it was only like $100/night (I don't think they're quite so cheap anymore). Then after that we learned how things worked and did Early Bird for the next 2 years. By that time, we got tired of dragging all our stuff around so far for our Hall H camp outs, haha. So for 2015 we tried Hotelpocalypse for the first time and scored Hilton Bayfront! That was the first year that you could leave the line and come back the next morning, so it was nice that we actually got to sleep in our super expensive beds!

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #336 on: March 07, 2019, 09:19:42 AM »
Well, our first year (2012) we didn't know anything about the hotel sale, either Early Bird or General. We got lucky and scored badges our first time trying, then booked our hotel the same day. Just looked for something cheap in the general area. We booked at a place called California Suites, which is a couple miles North of Hotel Circle, because it was only like $100/night (I don't think they're quite so cheap anymore). Then after that we learned how things worked and did Early Bird for the next 2 years. By that time, we got tired of dragging all our stuff around so far for our Hall H camp outs, haha. So for 2015 we tried Hotelpocalypse for the first time and scored Hilton Bayfront! That was the first year that you could leave the line and come back the next morning, so it was nice that we actually got to sleep in our super expensive beds!

[member=5681]sessionka[/member] I just realized I didn't really answer your question about why we didn't do the lottery for the next 2 years after our first year when we didn't know any better. I think it was just for financial reasons, since the Hotel Circle hotels were so much cheaper than downtown. Plus with Early Bird it was a sure thing, and stress free.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #337 on: March 08, 2019, 09:15:07 AM »
Stress free and lower rates are good advantages but the convenience of being downtown and close by the convention center has strong marks.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #338 on: March 08, 2019, 11:27:19 AM »
When will they tell us the date of the sale? Is it a week before like the badges?

I stayed on the outskirts of downtown (Bristol, Westin by Spreckles) for the first couple years, then I stayed at the Bayfront one year. One afternoon I thought to myself, "I need to go drop off these bags" so I walked over to my room at the Bayfront and was back at the convention center in less than 15 minutes... from that point on, I was was spoiled.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #339 on: March 08, 2019, 11:43:41 AM »
I stayed on the outskirts of downtown (Bristol, Westin by Spreckles) for the first couple years, then I stayed at the Bayfront one year. One afternoon I thought to myself, "I need to go drop off these bags" so I walked over to my room at the Bayfront and was back at the convention center in less than 15 minutes... from that point on, I was was spoiled.

100% same here.  I can't be anywhere except convention adjacent now.  But I don't think everyone needs that.  Everyone has different priorities. But oh god I need to be able to drop stuff off at my room mid day now and I can't imagine anything else for me.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #340 on: March 08, 2019, 11:50:50 AM »
100% same here.  I can't be anywhere except convention adjacent now.  But I don't think everyone needs that.  Everyone has different priorities. But oh god I need to be able to drop stuff off at my room mid day now and I can't imagine anything else for me.

Me too. I know it's incredibly spoiled, but it would totally change my entire convention experience now to be anything farther than directly across the street (and adjacent is of course preferred). I cosplay and like to go out to evening events so being able to pop back to the room to change or reapply makeup or ditch impossible shoes feels like a necessity now.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #341 on: March 08, 2019, 11:57:33 AM »
Yeah, its definitely not a requirement for everyone. I see the benefit of staying outside of downtown completely too, just depends on how you frame your trip in your mind.

But once you've got a taste of downtown, its much harder to stay anywhere else  ;D

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #342 on: March 08, 2019, 12:16:37 PM »
When I was 26 and doing the hotel thing at SDCC for the first time, budget was my top priority.  I was a retail worker and could barely afford the airfare to the con, let alone a $400/night room.  All of our choices were a mile or more from the con center.  We ended up stuck in Mission Valley anyway, but it was cheap (like $180/night split 5 ways because we were young and room stuffing which I don't recommend because fire codes etc etc etc).  Now I'm a little older and have a better job and hey I can do that $400/night room right next to the con center.  Just 6 years apart, drastically different priorities.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #343 on: March 08, 2019, 12:32:42 PM »
FWIW, I know a lot of people who drive to the con and park below the convention center. It is just as convenient (perhaps more so) to drop off things in the car parked underneath the convention center than it is to walk back to a hotel (even an adjacent hotel). Just saying... ;)

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #344 on: March 08, 2019, 12:50:57 PM »
haha fair point.  Fun fact: I've never owned a car  ???

Also, relevant related post: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login