Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 210979 times)

Offline twiley79

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 28
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #780 on: April 10, 2019, 07:51:21 AM »
On the room request sample form, I don't see anything about requesting a quad or listing roommates. I thought that was part of the form? How does that work if you request a hotel that doesn't specify number of beds?

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #781 on: April 10, 2019, 07:52:06 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
On the room request sample form, I don't see anything about requesting a quad or listing roommates. I thought that was part of the form? How does that work if you request a hotel that doesn't specify number of beds?

It's there, below the section where you request the hotels.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #782 on: Today at 04:09:42 AM »

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #782 on: April 10, 2019, 07:53:30 AM »
These prices are getting crazier and crazier every year.

I think one of CCI's biggest bargaining chips in negotiating with the hotels was that they could potentially* move the entire convention to another city or state at their will.

When CCI announced and broke ground on their new museum it was probably much easier for the hotels to call their bluff once it was time to renew the contract.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #783 on: April 10, 2019, 08:10:02 AM »
Regarding multiple room requests on the same form...Has anyone who requested multiple rooms on the form, gotten only 1 room? Or gotten rooms at different hotels through the same submission form?  In other words, does OnPeak place folk in varying hotels if they run out of a higher choice when asking for multiple rooms on the same form?

I've always gotten the # of rooms I requested, all at the same hotel.  Others I've talked to have had the same result.  So no "variety of hotels" placement.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #784 on: April 10, 2019, 08:17:09 AM »
I have someone in my group who can't get time off with such short notice. If I fill out a form for him myself, using a different computer but from my same location, will that be different enough that I won't show as a duplicate? Or should I just skip making a request for that person to be safe?

The post right above yours has it right, just use your friend's name, address, email, and phone.  Using a different computer is fine.

Regarding the Pendry, it messed up a lot of people last year, some people wasted 2  of their choices on it since they have it broken out by room type. We couldn't even find anyone on social media saying that they got it in the sale. I personally wouldn't try a small hotel like that until I've at least heard of it being attainable.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #785 on: April 10, 2019, 08:21:36 AM »
I've always gotten the # of rooms I requested, all at the same hotel.  Others I've talked to have had the same result.  So no "variety of hotels" placement.

[member=842]TardisMom[/member] - thank you!
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #786 on: April 10, 2019, 08:28:03 AM »
[member=352]marcia29[/member] I agree with [member=842]TardisMom[/member] . In years where I've requested multiple rooms they've always been together. From what we can tell from the results the past few years, you either get all your rooms together or no rooms at all if they can't fulfill your entire request at the same hotel. It's why requesting more than one is somewhat higher risk of striking out.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #787 on: April 10, 2019, 08:31:11 AM »
[member=352]marcia29[/member] I agree with [member=842]TardisMom[/member] . In years where I've requested multiple rooms they've always been together. From what we can tell from the results the past few years, you either get all your rooms together or no rooms at all if they can't fulfill your entire request at the same hotel. It's why requesting more than one is somewhat higher risk of striking out.

[member=1291]semigeekgirl[/member] - Thank you!  So much to think about...
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #788 on: April 10, 2019, 08:36:48 AM »
I think one of CCI's biggest bargaining chips in negotiating with the hotels was that they could potentially* move the entire convention to another city or state at their will.

When CCI announced and broke ground on their new museum it was probably much easier for the hotels to call their bluff once it was time to renew the contract.

Interesting theory.  Something to think about.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #789 on: April 10, 2019, 08:47:20 AM »
I can’t tell you who my sources are or who I am. But when I post something like this, it’s accurate. I was however starting to lose faith. I knew the April 11 date. But couldn’t believe onpeak would only give everyone two days.

I was right there with you.  For weeks I believed my source was solid until the week of.   I really thought CCI was getting better about respecting people's time and giving them notice.  Guess I was wrong :(
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #790 on: April 10, 2019, 08:57:18 AM »
Yeah. We're not discussing it much here, with the focus (as it should be) on getting everyone prepped and ready, but it is incredibly inconsiderate and disrespectful to attendees to announce the hotel sale (and all the pages and pages of accompanying information) less than two days before it happens (which is also in the middle of a workday for probably the majority of people). And, also, to have that sale occur DURING one of the other top-tier geek conventions in the US.

It's borderline incompetent at best and actively cruel at worst, and I for one am deeply disappointed in CCI as an organization.

Offline dville

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #791 on: April 10, 2019, 09:00:56 AM »
Yeah. We're not discussing it much here, with the focus (as it should be) on getting everyone prepped and ready, but it is incredibly inconsiderate and disrespectful to attendees to announce the hotel sale (and all the pages and pages of accompanying information) less than two days before it happens (which is also in the middle of a workday for probably the majority of people). And, also, to have that sale occur DURING one of the other top-tier geek conventions in the US.

It's borderline incompetent at best and actively cruel at worst, and I for one am deeply disappointed in CCI as an organization.

Yeah, this threw me off.  We weren't really even given a full forty-eight (48) hours to turn this around.  I know alot of us on here have a bit of an obsession and have been planning and worrying about this for weeks now, but it's like they ripped the bandaid off.  This time was swift and without mercy.  :(
If stupidity got us in this mess, then why can't it get us out?

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #792 on: April 10, 2019, 09:04:48 AM »
I think the fast turnaround and during the Star War Celebration is to discourage a mass turn out for the Hotel Sales.... at least for the general non comic con attending public.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 09:18:35 AM by ALF »

Offline nightwing23lg

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #793 on: April 10, 2019, 09:13:15 AM »
can someone PM the link for the waiting room? I did not get the email and going solo this year.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #794 on: April 10, 2019, 09:17:55 AM »
[member=4789]nightwing23lg[/member] It's been posted on Twitter by several people if you still need it.