Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211351 times)

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #1290 on: April 12, 2019, 11:41:00 AM »
I'm certain volunteers would need to be addressed.  I'm not sure how Gen Con handles that, but volunteers, exhibitors and so forth would have to be taken into account for any hotel room registration process.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #1291 on: April 12, 2019, 11:42:39 AM »
Personally I do feel GenCon is the ideal. But CCI could still use that system even if they're not willing to require a badge - just require a Member ID. Even offsites-only people (who I personally feel should be excluded) could have a member ID.

There would still be some abuse, but again, it would at least cut out room hoarding and let you pick among the less-desirable hotels (if you were unlucky) according to your own criteria.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1292 on: Today at 06:22:17 PM »

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #1292 on: April 12, 2019, 11:44:36 AM »
I usually have multiple browsers but I don't submit requests on all of them - just whichever one accesses the form first. And since I've never gotten in earlier than :06, it's not like it's helped me any.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #1293 on: April 12, 2019, 11:46:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I usually have multiple browsers but I don't submit requests on all of them - just whichever one accesses the form first. And since I've never gotten in earlier than :06, it's not like it's helped me any.

That's what I did, and I only got in at :07.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #1294 on: April 12, 2019, 11:50:37 AM »
I'm certain volunteers would need to be addressed.  I'm not sure how Gen Con handles that, but volunteers, exhibitors and so forth would have to be taken into account for any hotel room registration process.

I heard somewhere that exhibitors have their own hotel sale.  Which after 7 years of attendance at this con, came as quite a surprise to me! I had no idea.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #1295 on: April 12, 2019, 11:51:58 AM »
When you volunteer you don't get a physical badge?

You get a badge right at the con when you complete your shift.  But you have to actually show up and do your job to be counted as one. 

Offline kihou

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #1296 on: April 12, 2019, 11:55:34 AM »
I wish OnPeak would make the links individually exclusive to badge holders. Yes I know there are program participants etc. who do not yet have hotels, but it is a way to make it a bit more fair. Plus I realize it is nice to be able to try for a hotel just to come downtown and visit the offsites, but...badge holders first. IMHO.
I think they could at least make it tied to a memberID like badges are.  Even non-badge holders could get a memberID, and have that be a unique identifier.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1297 on: April 12, 2019, 11:56:38 AM »
I heard somewhere that exhibitors have their own hotel sale.  Which after 7 years of attendance at this con, came as quite a surprise to me! I had no idea.

They do, it's before ours. As far as I know it's not nearly as much of a mess, but then there are waaaaaay fewer exhibitors.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #1298 on: April 12, 2019, 12:01:59 PM »
Here’s a question: why is there a hotel sale? I know why CCI wants it. Generally make the rooms more affordable. But what do the hotels get out of it by having cheaper rates? Could a major hotel opt out? (The question of why Bristol is not on the list came up. Did they opt out? Did CCI use their hotel for other purposes?)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #1299 on: April 12, 2019, 12:06:06 PM »
Here’s a question: why is there a hotel sale? I know why CCI wants it. Generally make the rooms more affordable. But what do the hotels get out of it by having cheaper rates? Could a major hotel opt out? (The question of why Bristol is not on the list came up. Did they opt out? Did CCI use their hotel for other purposes?)

The hotels are in it because the city pressures them. The threat is that if they don't participate, CCI will move SDCC elsewhere.

Offline kihou

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #1300 on: April 12, 2019, 12:06:24 PM »
Good question!  Maybe they have something worked out with the conference center otherwise - since there are other large conferences there too that would have the same effect (maybe not at this large a scale, but still would bring in a lot of people).

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1301 on: April 12, 2019, 12:09:11 PM »

The hotels try to opt out, or at least drastically raise prices, every time the CCI contract ends. Which is why CCI has to constantly threaten to move. The hotels want the maximum number of rooms filled at the highest possible rate. SDCC fills basically ALL the rooms, but most at an non-exorbitant rate. But if SDCC doesn't happen not all the rooms are filled that weekend. So it's a balancing act.

Currently even the Con rates are the top end of my budget. If I have to book rooms at market rate, I'm not going to SDCC.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #1302 on: April 12, 2019, 12:10:03 PM »
The hotels are in it because the city pressures them. The threat is that if they don't participate, CCI will move SDCC elsewhere.

Yeah, I thought I read in the past that cooperation from the hotels was more of a factor in SDCC staying in San Diego than conversion center space.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #1303 on: April 12, 2019, 12:44:39 PM »

The hotels get revenue that they might not get during other parts of the year. Conventions are like 'Black Friday' for hotels.  Any other time of the year, they charge lower rates because that's what the market can bear.  On the flip side, I'm sure there's some back and forth between what the hotels would like to charge and what CCI negotiates.

And On-Peak provides a service that the hotels 'out source'.  It would probably be a nightmare for the hotels to handle reservation requests for this event.

Even though we're focused on Comic Con, it was a surprise to me that con goers (on site and off site) are not the only people that are staying at downtown hotels.  Twice I've stayed at downtown hotels that are not con adjacent, and have met people that are just there for other reasons (tourists/business). 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 12:47:13 PM by sessionka »
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #1304 on: April 12, 2019, 02:00:02 PM »
San Diego couldn't afford to lose SDCC, so the city will pressure and coerce the Hotels to participate. Just last year, SDCC was responsible for generating $1.2 billion. That lost revenue would cripple SD's economy.