Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211075 times)

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #1875 on: April 18, 2019, 12:01:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ralph’s also has insulated fabric coolers.  Bought a San Diego State one that I used in the room and kept refilling with ice.  Held about 6 cans.  Folded up nice to pack and take home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh my gosh I hadn't thought of that.  I actually have two fabric coolers at home that I can just fold up and take with me.  Lordy I am just not thinking haha.  I'm going to have to do this.

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #1876 on: April 18, 2019, 12:03:56 PM »
So since were on the subject of alcohol, can anyone recommend a good liquor store around the con?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1877 on: Today at 08:14:20 AM »

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #1877 on: April 18, 2019, 12:07:19 PM »
Last year I stayed at the Wyndham Bay Front. Went over to Filippi's Pizza. Had a pizza for two. Was only able to finish half. Went back to the hotel room thinking I can put it in the fridge for breakfast the next day... Realized that there was no fridge.. Put the half pizza in the drawer under the tv..Pizza didn't taste the same the next day. Left it there... 

The End.

;D ;D ;D
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #1878 on: April 18, 2019, 12:08:27 PM »
So since were on the subject of alcohol, can anyone recommend a good liquor store around the con?

Yes!  There's one right behind the Hilton Gaslamp called Dis Cine.  It's extremely close to a lot of things, has a good variety, lots of food options too, and rarely has a line.  And last year they bought out the business next to them and expanded.  I usually hit them up 2-3 times per con not just for booze, but for food as well.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #1879 on: April 18, 2019, 12:11:53 PM »
Yes!  There's one right behind the Hilton Gaslamp called Dis Cine.  It's extremely close to a lot of things, has a good variety, lots of food options too, and rarely has a line.  And last year they bought out the business next to them and expanded.  I usually hit them up 2-3 times per con not just for booze, but for food as well.

I always tell people to go to Ralph's. But what [member=4434]Angel_[/member] said is a good idea too. I like Ralph's because you can take care of those late night munchies too. They have premade sandwiches, and other things. I like spending my money on stuff than food, so hence Ralph's.

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #1880 on: April 18, 2019, 12:13:03 PM »
Thanks [member=4434]Angel_[/member]! I'm keeping a little notebook full of lesser known con facts at this point. Lol

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #1881 on: April 18, 2019, 12:15:08 PM »

While I'm not much of a drinker, I thought the wine section at Ralph's was pretty big.

I also chuckled when I saw it for 2 reasons:

1.  Where I live, super markets can't sell wine

2.  The section was full, but the bottled water section was decimated.  My first thought was you know the nerds are in town when the wine section is full, but the bottled water section is empty.   :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #1882 on: April 18, 2019, 12:17:21 PM »

Are you a beer guy at all? Because SD is literally the beer mecca of the world in my opinion.  If you love beer there are breweries and tap rooms all over gas lamp and they sell to go growlers and crowlers.  I usually hit up a half a dozen breweries on wednesday and bring back a bunch of to go stuff my room. 
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #1883 on: April 18, 2019, 12:18:54 PM »
While I'm not much of a drinker, I thought the wine section at Ralph's was pretty big.

I also chuckled when I saw it for 2 reasons:

1.  Where I live, super markets can't sell wine

2.  The section was full, but the bottled water section was decimated.  My first thought was you know the nerds are in town when the wine section is full, but the bottled water section is empty.   :)

I always, always bring my own water. I've seen this lack of water a few years now. I always make sure I have enough to last a couple of weeks (in case some friends decide to show up at my hotel room.) As for the Ralph's, I live in SoCal, and it's really one of the nicer ones. Thus the larger wine section than most.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #1884 on: April 18, 2019, 12:22:06 PM »
Thanks [member=4434]Angel_[/member]! I'm keeping a little notebook full of lesser known con facts at this point. Lol

I have an article about doing You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login where I mention this market.  You might pick up some other tips from it too.  Scroll to the food section ;) Edit: oh shoots I missed this market on my first go. But I'm adding it now.

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #1885 on: April 18, 2019, 12:26:59 PM »
Last year I stayed at the Wyndham Bay Front. Went over to Filippi's Pizza. Had a pizza for two. Was only able to finish half. Went back to the hotel room thinking I can put it in the fridge for breakfast the next day... Realized that there was no fridge.. Put the half pizza in the drawer under the tv..Pizza didn't taste the same the next day. Left it there... 

The End.

I bet it was only "the beginning" for the cleaning person. I hope you remembered to tip the help. ;)

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #1886 on: April 18, 2019, 12:28:46 PM »
I think I read somewhere that there's a small mall or something within walking distance of MGH. Is that correct?

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #1887 on: April 18, 2019, 12:33:33 PM »
I think I read somewhere that there's a small mall or something within walking distance of MGH. Is that correct?

Yes there is a mall.  Horton Plaza is nearby, very close to Ralphs.

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #1888 on: April 18, 2019, 12:36:22 PM »

I think you might be referring to Horton Plaza.  The once great Horton Plaza regarded by many as one of the greatest malls ever while in its prime is officially a ghost town with 90% of the shops vacant and whats left isn't worth shopping at.  Seaport village is pretty cool though and is right out the back door of MGH.
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #1889 on: April 18, 2019, 12:37:38 PM »
There’s also Ross store not too far from Horton Plaza(Walking distance from SDCC).  I’ve picked up cheap fleece blankets, extra socks, etc from there. The past 2 yrs Horton plaza had a pop up store during SDCCC with Funko Pops, t-shirts, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk