Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211563 times)

Offline Jangos1

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 54
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #2400 on: April 29, 2019, 01:12:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Most likely Marvel will not have a panel at SDCC due to D23

Oh, didn't even think of that.  That's unfortunate - for SDCC attendees.  Marvel was always a highlight for me, though I realize that it can cause Hall H lines to become even more chaotic; but that's the nature of the beast and....I'll take it!   ^-^

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4558
« Reply #2401 on: April 29, 2019, 01:13:37 PM »
Most likely Marvel will not have a panel at SDCC due to D23

Actually, they are more likely to have a panel. 

Star Wars is a great example of this.  It will be at D23 and SDCC.

2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2402 on: Today at 02:44:11 AM »

Offline rallyv

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #2402 on: April 29, 2019, 01:21:17 PM »
I don't buy it. Has this literally ever happened?
Have they ever skipped before? Yes. They skipped last year (2018).
Have they ever shown up, given an ok presentation and then blown everyone out of the water at D23? Yes. They did that in 2011 with the first Avengers.

I assume it'll be closer to 2011 than last year. I suspect they'll show up and give some kind of presentation and bring people out and everything, but they're gonna hold the really good stuff for D23.

As for hotels, last year thanks to the kindness of people in this thread, I was able to get a good downtown hotel after waitlist time. Keep watching this thread, people will post hotels as they come up. Today's going to seem hopeless because you didn't get something but you also have maximum eyes on that page today. If you didn't get a downtown hotel, give it time, look at it during weird hours, keep at it, watch around the cutoff dates (the one where you get only a portion of your deposit back and the one where you get no deposit back). Don't get discouraged.

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #2403 on: April 29, 2019, 01:22:39 PM »
Have they ever skipped before? Yes. They skipped last year (2018).
Have they ever shown up, given an ok presentation and then blown everyone out of the water at D23? Yes. They did that in 2011 with the first Avengers.

I know they skipped last year. I know they've presented at D23. They've never skipped SDCC because of D23. I hate seeing that being said around here, over and over.

Offline rallyv

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #2404 on: April 29, 2019, 01:33:59 PM »
I know they skipped last year. I know they've presented at D23. They've never skipped SDCC because of D23. I hate seeing that being said around here, over and over.
Yes. This is absolutely true. You are 100% correct in this.

During what hours do hotels post? Is it only during business hours Pacific Time?
It's a live inventory. When someone releases a room, within minutes (if not seconds) it's available.

Offline verovero8

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 46
« Reply #2405 on: April 29, 2019, 01:49:06 PM »
My theory on Marvel attending this year:
Last year there was no need to promote Endgame/Captain Marvel, we were All In. This year I feel like they will want to promote the next wave of movies and whatever is next (post Endgame).  Maybe they'll want a nice Endgame victory lap too.

I would hope Disney will want to have a big presence this year to promote Disney+, Lucasfilm (post Last Jedi drama and Solo underperforming), and the next Marvel projects.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #2406 on: April 29, 2019, 01:51:03 PM »
They are skipping this year panel wise because Marvel will announce their new movies at their own convention D23. It makes no sense business wise to announce at San Diego.  Its why  Marvel skipped the 2015.  In 2017, they had movies to promote and D23 was before SDCC. What movies do they have that Marvel has official announced? None.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 05:28:53 PM by Roshawn »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #2407 on: April 29, 2019, 01:54:32 PM »
All this Marvel talk is great. But I think it's gonna get lost in this thread about hotels.  There's a thread over here for it: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
« Reply #2408 on: April 29, 2019, 01:55:04 PM »
San Diego Marriott Mission Valley
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 02:10:21 PM by RighteousRita »

Offline Nicodimas

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 37
« Reply #2409 on: April 29, 2019, 02:18:10 PM »
Just for gee whiz which of these hotels have the best pools top 10?

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #2410 on: April 29, 2019, 02:24:06 PM »
Just for gee whiz which of these hotels have the best pools top 10?

Depends.

1. MGH is nice if you want to get away from con atmosphere for a tick.  It's more like a regular hotel pool.
2. Bayfront is small and it's a bit awkward since the line for BF panels is right next to the glass wall to the pool (need that pool boy body or no shame) They also close this pool down some times for private parties
3. Hardrock, great pool, but closed during con for private parties almost the whole weekend
4. Omni is cool but again private parties could interfere with plans.  Usually private party area is by the bar and they keep most of the pool open
5. MMM, forget about it.  Pack all damn day/night long.  You'll be lucky if you can even walk.  Most people are in clothes and not even there for the pool. They are there for the pool bar/restaurant and just hanging out. Good luck finding seating

My wife hangs by the pool all day while i go to con. Pool scouting info is always a major concern of mine.  The above pools are the ones I have the most experience with.
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline Undead Stephanie

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #2411 on: April 29, 2019, 02:27:21 PM »
Depends.

1. MGH is nice if you want to get away from con atmosphere for a tick.  It's more like a regular hotel pool.
2. Bayfront is small and it's a bit awkward since the line for BF panels is right next to the glass wall to the pool (need that pool boy body or no shame) They also close this pool down some times for private parties
3. Hardrock, great pool, but closed during con for private parties almost the whole weekend
4. Omni is cool but again private parties could interfere with plans.  Usually private party area is by the bar and they keep most of the pool open
5. MMM, forget about it.  Pack all damn day/night long.  You'll be lucky if you can even walk.  Most people are in clothes and not even there for the pool. They are there for the pool bar/restaurant and just hanging out. Good luck finding seating

My wife hangs by the pool all day while i go to con. Pool scouting info is always a major concern of mine.  The above pools are the ones I have the most experience with.

The Hotel Solamar is nice. Some events there at night, but otherwise pretty open. Great view of the Gaslamp.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 02:31:28 PM by Undead Stephanie »

Offline tonovember

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #2412 on: April 29, 2019, 02:34:56 PM »
is the Sofia hotel rooms big enough for 3 people? (two on the bed and one on the floor)
all the reviews say the rooms are tiny and just want to make sure there's enough room. thanks all!

Offline kamisbutterfly

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 81
« Reply #2413 on: April 29, 2019, 02:36:58 PM »
Depends.

Definitely second the Marriott Marina! Its literally packed all day and night. Tons of people also use it to go between the con and the marina. It's a great pool if you can find a spot!

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #2414 on: April 29, 2019, 02:45:36 PM »
Isn’t there two pools at MGH? From the pictures, at least one of them looks sizable.

The pool and pool area at Westin Gaslamp is tiny.

I like the one at the Omni since you get a view of the bay + convention center.