Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211386 times)

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #2520 on: May 08, 2019, 06:02:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hm. Well, if a good downtown hotel doesn't miraculously appear for me tomorrow, it looks like I might end up with something like the Best Western on Harbor Island.  Does anyone have any opinions about being over in that area, versus Mission Valley?  I read the reviews, but didn't get a great feeling for whether three people in a room there would be squished or not--anyone stay there?  Thanks!
I stayed at the best western plus island palms on shelter island. It was very far from con and the shuttle took about 30 to 40 minutes during high traffic times.

Other than that my wife and I loved the hotel. We actually want to go back, just not for sdcc.  I cant vouch for the normal rooms. We had their 1 bedroom suite. We had a private patio with 2 chase lounges and patio table with 4 chair. It also had a full kitchen with full size refrigerator. The Resturant next to the pool was really small but we ate lunch there the first day and thought the food was REALLY good. We ended up eatting dinner there 2 more times that year. Everything I had was delicious. It's kinda out there with nothing really in walking distance from it, but the hotel over all was very nice. I was expecting so much worse with the Best Western brand name.  This is Def not your normal best western.

TLDR: I was impressed. Great hotel, not a great SDCC hotel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #2521 on: May 08, 2019, 07:20:44 PM »
Hm. Well, if a good downtown hotel doesn't miraculously appear for me tomorrow, it looks like I might end up with something like the Best Western on Harbor Island.  Does anyone have any opinions about being over in that area, versus Mission Valley?  I read the reviews, but didn't get a great feeling for whether three people in a room there would be squished or not--anyone stay there?  Thanks!

My first year (2015) I stayed at Humphreys Half Moon and Suites on Shelter Island.  The hotel was very nice and I liked the area.  I never ate there, but i did do a little exploring of the area and ate breakfast down the street.  The shuttle is about 35 - 45 minutes, but as it was my first year, I didn't mind.  The shuttles did fill up, and there would be times when it would pass stops because it was full. 

If I didn't get a downtown room, I'd stay there again.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2522 on: Today at 07:26:38 PM »

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #2522 on: May 08, 2019, 08:13:25 PM »
I used to stay at the BW Island Palms regularly for SDCC and loved it.  At the time I enjoyed an occasional break from the con craziness and with rooms that have a view of the marina I got just that.  I think I have stayed there at least four times for Comic Con.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline jnyama

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #2523 on: May 09, 2019, 03:32:15 AM »
I stayed at the best western plus island palms on shelter island. It was very far from con and the shuttle took about 30 to 40 minutes during high traffic times.

Other than that my wife and I loved the hotel. We actually want to go back, just not for sdcc.  I cant vouch for the normal rooms. We had their 1 bedroom suite. We had a private patio with 2 chase lounges and patio table with 4 chair. It also had a full kitchen with full size refrigerator. The Resturant next to the pool was really small but we ate lunch there the first day and thought the food was REALLY good. We ended up eatting dinner there 2 more times that year. Everything I had was delicious. It's kinda out there with nothing really in walking distance from it, but the hotel over all was very nice. I was expecting so much worse with the Best Western brand name.  This is Def not your normal best western.

TLDR: I was impressed. Great hotel, not a great SDCC hotel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That's great that you enjoyed it so much--I think my friends have booked a normal non-suite room, so I'm hoping it's not going to be claustrophobic.  This would be the first time I've tried sharing a room at SDCC, in an attempt to compensate for the annoying price hikes.

Offline jnyama

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #2524 on: May 09, 2019, 03:36:30 AM »
My first year (2015) I stayed at Humphreys Half Moon and Suites on Shelter Island.  The hotel was very nice and I liked the area.  I never ate there, but i did do a little exploring of the area and ate breakfast down the street.  The shuttle is about 35 - 45 minutes, but as it was my first year, I didn't mind.  The shuttles did fill up, and there would be times when it would pass stops because it was full. 

If I didn't get a downtown room, I'd stay there again.

Thanks--I am a little concerned about the shuttles.  I usually try to drive every day anyway and use my car as a locker, but you never know how the parking sitch is going to shake out until after the hotel penalties kick in...and of course I didn't get a group one so who knows what's going to be left.

Offline jnyama

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #2525 on: May 09, 2019, 03:41:54 AM »
I used to stay at the BW Island Palms regularly for SDCC and loved it.  At the time I enjoyed an occasional break from the con craziness and with rooms that have a view of the marina I got just that.  I think I have stayed there at least four times for Comic Con.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's encouraging--how was the transportation to and from?  Did you have issues with the shuttle?

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #2526 on: May 09, 2019, 06:50:49 AM »
Staying at Hotel Republic unless we get a closer option. Not happy with the rate but very grateful to have a place to stay downtown.
Anyone know of any good food places nearby - breakfast options and a general meal?

Not sure if we will be walking mainly to the convention, taking they trolley, or the shuttle. It is close enough to walk although it would take us a while.

Offline iramcon

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #2527 on: May 09, 2019, 10:46:27 AM »
That's encouraging--how was the transportation to and from?  Did you have issues with the shuttle?

I stayed at the BW Island Palms last year and didn’t have any issues with the shuttle, it took about 30 mins to get to the convention center. I really like the BW lsland Palms I too had a marina view and loved it. In the late evenings my wife and I would stroll up and down Shelter Island.

Offline eek

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 70
« Reply #2528 on: May 09, 2019, 11:24:21 AM »
Haven't stayed on the Westin Downtown side of town for a few years, but IIRC the distance is so small that I would definitely select Westin over Sofia for a group of 4. The Sofia will just be too cramped.

I always arrive a few days early and have had luck getting two beds on reservations for 1 bedrooms because of early arrival; but that wasn't the case with Sofia. They were booked solid, and though we had a decent size room for 2 people, and even a good amount of floor space that could be slept on - you would essentially be walking over people in the morning/night if you aren't all on the same schedule at the Sofia.

And its been mentioned before, but the bathroom space is very weird at the Sofia. It's a very small space, and the shower doors are 1/4 the size of the shower so water flies everywhere when you are taking a shower. And, if you are sharing a space and want the privacy of changing in the bathroom, it further complicates the situation.

^^^^ This.

I have stayed at both the Westin SD and The Sofia. I would choose Westin. The extra couple of blocks weren't that noticeable and it's worth it for the larger rooms.

Offline neuralhandshake

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #2529 on: May 09, 2019, 01:37:40 PM »
The Westin's rooms are GIGANTIC. We had a group of four one year and it was so much space.

Offline L3g3nd33

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #2530 on: May 09, 2019, 01:42:13 PM »
The Westin's rooms are GIGANTIC. We had a group of four one year and it was so much space.

I'm really hoping that's the case for all the rooms (assuming we're both talking about the downtown one, not Gaslamp).  They have generic pictures on their site and the standard 1-King room looks kind of small.  I'm going with 2 other guys so we want some room to move around.

And at least 2 of us will be buying tons of exclusives.

Offline neuralhandshake

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #2531 on: May 09, 2019, 01:50:34 PM »
I'm really hoping that's the case for all the rooms (assuming we're both talking about the downtown one, not Gaslamp).  They have generic pictures on their site and the standard 1-King room looks kind of small.  I'm going with 2 other guys so we want some room to move around.

And at least 2 of us will be buying tons of exclusives.

I'm no help, I meant Gaslamp. Happy exclusives hunting though!!

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #2532 on: May 09, 2019, 03:14:20 PM »
Staying at Hotel Republic unless we get a closer option. Not happy with the rate but very grateful to have a place to stay downtown.
Anyone know of any good food places nearby - breakfast options and a general meal?

Not sure if we will be walking mainly to the convention, taking they trolley, or the shuttle. It is close enough to walk although it would take us a while.

Lots of great food options that aren't too far, especially in Little Italy. I'm not too sure about breakfast as we haven't dined in that area for breakfast. If you are walking to the convention center there are good places along the way (depending on what route you walk - Cafe 21, Richard Walkers, etc). But for dinner, we love Queenstown Public House which is straight up Columbia St. There is Karl Strauss Brewery right there, which also serves food. For a dessert, we highly recommend Salt & Straw for ice cream (10 minute walk). It's close to the Little Italy Food Hall, which also has good food options for a meal - especially if you're with a group of people who might all want different things. It's next to an open air piazza so you can grab a table and relax.
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline lrdavis28

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #2533 on: May 09, 2019, 07:45:38 PM »

i also got the republic, not happy with the rate as well but unless its crazy gas lamp close, gonna stick it out there,looking foward to any responses to this

Offline Jangos1

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #2534 on: May 09, 2019, 11:41:55 PM »
i also got the republic, not happy with the rate as well but unless its crazy gas lamp close, gonna stick it out there,looking foward to any responses to this
I stayed at The Republic, last year.  There is a coffee shop adjacent to the hotel - good espresso drinks.  They also have grab-and-go food offerings if you are in a hurry.  Not sure about food places other than what is on Broadway - Sushi Deli 2 near Spreckels Theater, The Corner Bakery, Starbucks, Chipotle, and another good coffee shop, located across from the Sushi Deli (don't recall the name).  The Sofia Hotel is not far from The Republic; their restaurant, Currant Brasserie, has the best, buttery, seasoned popcorn in their bar and is very affordable, especially at Happy Hour.