Author Topic: SDCC 2020 Returning Registration  (Read 31975 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: SDCC 2020 Returning Registration
« Reply #210 on: October 14, 2019, 08:02:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Piggybacking on the questions of groups, I assume most groups have accommodations for buying for pairs or even triplets of members? For example, a married couple who wouldn't go to SDCC without the other, so they either both get a badge or neither do.

Yes, but again, this varies by group and is up to the individual group leader.

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #211 on: October 14, 2019, 08:49:13 PM »
Interesting. Thank you for your insight. Based on what you’ve said it seems that the group leader’s methodology could have a real impact on the success of all group members getting tickets. And I believe I have seen groups allude to the newest members being placed on “the bottom” - i.e. have their tickets purchased last.
[member=8964]dcole[/member]

As a long time buying group member, you have a good observation and a fair thought. I will say human nature is one where you buy (read) from the top down on any written document so there is a tendency in a random natural organic way to buy that way. So I would say being at the physical bottom of a list may put you in a random lower buying order than being at the very top. Additionally, undoubtedly if there is no specific predetermine order, that if you had 2 spots available and a list of people to buy for is it only natural human nature to buy for people you know better or are friends with or know they have a history of paying you back sooner than later. Of course. That again I believe is just natural human behavior. Having understood and potentially accepting all that, a buying group is still by far the best way to go. Especially with the good people here on FoCC. In my experience they have the most integrity and are more likely the type of people that actually would consciously purposely buck the trend of going top to bottom or buying for friends first and buy for the person on the bottom of the list and buy for randoms just as much as someone they may know.

Most importantly you may have that year where you get completely shut out and are beyond thankful and indebted to your group for being able to grab you even a single day! (ie Me this year!) #loveBG1 
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #212 on: Today at 02:42:31 PM »

Offline Darth_Primus

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #212 on: October 15, 2019, 08:48:33 AM »
I was able to get badges for Thurs to Sun for myself, my wife and my brother.   I'll try again during open registration to see if we can get preview night.   I haven't gotten preview night badges in years.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #213 on: October 15, 2019, 09:00:27 AM »
[member=8964]dcole[/member]

As a long time buying group member, you have a good observation and a fair thought. I will say human nature is one where you buy (read) from the top down on any written document so there is a tendency in a random natural organic way to buy that way. So I would say being at the physical bottom of a list may put you in a random lower buying order than being at the very top. Additionally, undoubtedly if there is no specific predetermine order, that if you had 2 spots available and a list of people to buy for is it only natural human nature to buy for people you know better or are friends with or know they have a history of paying you back sooner than later. Of course. That again I believe is just natural human behavior. Having understood and potentially accepting all that, a buying group is still by far the best way to go. Especially with the good people here on FoCC. In my experience they have the most integrity and are more likely the type of people that actually would consciously purposely buck the trend of going top to bottom or buying for friends first and buy for the person on the bottom of the list and buy for randoms just as much as someone they may know.

Most importantly you may have that year where you get completely shut out and are beyond thankful and indebted to your group for being able to grab you even a single day! (ie Me this year!) #loveBG1
The trust thing can definitely be tough.  What I kept reminding myself before I jumped into the badge-buying group is that nearly everyone I've ever met at Comic-Con has been a stand-up, good person (maybe not the dude who stabbed the other dude before the COWBOYS & ALIENS panel  :P ).  In 20 years of attending Comic-Con every stranger I've ever sat next to in a panel, or stood in line around has always been nothing short of friendly and helpful.  Even if it's just a "can you hold my place while I run to the bathroom" while in line, or "can you watch my stuff while I grab some food" in Hall H the people have always been incredibly helpful.  Most of us attendees are similar in ideals, know the difficulties of Comic-Con from experience, and seemingly enjoy paying it forward.  I suspect it's nearly impossible to do Comic-Con completely on your own so we all likely understand how helping each other out benefits all and makes everyone's time more pleasant.

One of my all-time favorite movies is BRAZIL*, with a classic line/ethos from Robert De Niro's character: "We're all in this together."  That's a philosophy I constantly remind myself, especially at events as huge as Comic-Con
(De Niro's character is a bit punk rock in ethos in BRAZIL, but it's really funny when you realize he's essentially just an engineer who doesn't want to do the bureaucratic paperwork)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #214 on: October 15, 2019, 09:02:45 AM »
Sub-question regarding groups:

has anyone done the math to determine if/when a group is TOO big?  Like, is there a point where there are too many people?

*** NOTE ***
I suck at math so if this is implausible feel free to tell me and mock my lack of mathiness

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #215 on: October 15, 2019, 09:29:51 AM »

has anyone done the math to determine if/when a group is TOO big?  Like, is there a point where there are too many people?

*** NOTE ***
I suck at math so if this is implausible feel free to tell me and mock my lack of mathiness

I could certainly be wrong but I don't think mathematically there is number that the group would be to big because as it grew the 1:3 buying badges ratio would be a constant.  I think the upper number contrast is more of a technical and management issue.  This year was a perfect example of the technical as FOCC couldn't open up the groups because technically the amazing sheets we use and volunteer support to create/fix them were strained to the limit.  Then there is the management side of it which is dependent on the group leader.  As you are well aware there is quite a bit of work that goes into sending out communications, creating the forms/sheets, prioritizing order, then the sale itself is crazy hectic trying to monitor multiple chats and trying to make everyone happy.  Even afterward making sure the financial transactions go smoothly.  I'm sure each group leader probably has a number in there head of how many they can handle.  Probably even more important than the total number is the number of "challenging" folks they have in the group that take up most of their time. 

I completely concur with all your statements about how helpful a group is, especially as time goes by and you make con friends.  Numbers wise if you are in a buying group of 200 and you are the very last on the list it is still better than not being in a group.    If you are #200 and you get in to buy you are going to buy for yourself (and spouse or whatever) first so you are good to go.  If you never got in to buy even being #200 and only getting say Thur/Sun was still better than you getting nothing.  Besides the trust issue I see no drawback to being in a group.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #216 on: October 15, 2019, 09:41:07 AM »
Popping in to say how much I have been enjoying this discussion! Opening myself to trusting FoCC members has markedly increased my enjoyment of the con. 

All Hail the FoCC in all its forms and frolics!

;D
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline dcole

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #217 on: October 15, 2019, 09:45:35 AM »
Popping in to say how much I have been enjoying this discussion! Opening myself to trusting FoCC members has markedly increased my enjoyment of the con. 

All Hail the FoCC in all its forms and frolics!

;D
I was just getting ready to say the same thing!

For someone (myself) who has never been part of a larger group and had lots of questions, this discussion has certainly been enlightening and interesting. Thank you to all who have given their insights-much appreciated!

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #218 on: October 15, 2019, 10:05:56 AM »
I agree.. I will attempt to join a ticket buying group next year if they open up and if any groups excepts me.

Thank You.

Offline Dune930

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #219 on: October 15, 2019, 10:15:30 AM »
I agree.. I will attempt to join a ticket buying group next year if they open up and if any groups excepts me.

Thank You.

I'm too Type A to join a group. LOL! this is my second successful year of getting badges and although I wouldn't mind helping out someone who wants to piggyback off me, I need to be driving the car. That's just how I roll.  ^-^

Online TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #220 on: October 15, 2019, 10:44:49 AM »
This was year three in a badge-buying group.  I joined the badge-buying group after joining the group for Hall H line the previous SDCCI.  At that point, I had gotten to know a good number of folks in the group, and felt comfortable trusting them.  I too have general trust issues with strangers, but after getting to know people I realized everyone in the group is generally similar to me: good-hearted, easy-going, fun to hang out with, and incredibly nice/helpful.  I witnessed that first year how everyone selflessly seemed to help everyone else with exclusives, saving seats, getting food for folks in line, etc.  I realized that I went from waiting in line roughly 36 hours for Sat. Hall H to roughly 3 or 4 in a group, and it couldn't have worked out better (all three years so far in the group have been aces)!

So I decided to join the badge-buying group, even though I felt OK with five folks in my family/close friends to buy with codes.  I figured the odds were improved with more people helping out.  Holy cow, have I seen that concept work out splendidly!

Our group uses a messaging app during the sales to communicate in real-time: there were probably several folks physically taking via the voice option, but I didn't partake in that (I was at a HS band rehearsal).  There's a good spreadsheet that we all must sign in before 9 or else no one buys a badge for you.  As people are selected, the buyer immediately logs whom they're buying a badge for (there's an "in progress" signal that shows which group member is getting a badge purchased for them live), then when the process of buying the badge is complete the buyer logs whom they bought badges for.  It's obviously the 'honor system' when it comes to paying up, but I don't think there've been any problems.  If someone screws someone over, the badge is canceled, the person is kicked out of the group (it's a FOCC group so I assume they'd be black-listed from all groups here) and probably shunned pretty hard-corps.  There are relatively a lot of group members so I suspect the black-listing would run deep.

For me personally, I had multiple screens open as well as the spread sheet, so I saw my blue spinning wheel on Epic's waiting room page as well as the constant "flickering" of action on the group's spreadsheet.  Before all badges sold-out everyone in our group this year got at least a Day's badge, with most getting multiple days IIRC.  My codes never hit, but someone in the group got me 4-Days.  Last year my codes didn't hit but someone bought me 4-Days w/PN.  The first year I participated I got my own badge and was able to help someone else get 4-Day w/PN.  Last year, even though I live in SD, I jumped into the Hotel fun to try to help the group, got a great hotel, and was able to help a group member with that.  In turn, several people were able to help me get Group 1 parking.

Of course, the helping each other out is only part of the Group benefits.  Our group did a pre-Con Disneyland trip the days before PN this past summer and we had a blast together!  There were plenty of after-hours hangs as well (that I missed out on mostly because 1) I have my 17 year old with me most days/nights of SDCCI and 2) I always feel so exhausted - I'm hoping to participate more with the group in 2020).  The person that was able to buy me a badge this year is a real great gal that I've done a line-shift with in year's past and the fact that I feel relatively close to her makes it all the more rewarding, I think.

This will be my Fourth Comic-Con with the group, and each year I've gotten to know more and more people and it has really changed my enjoying myself even more.  2020 will be my 21st SD Comic-Con, and I was kind of in a funk where I really wondered if it was worth the $$ for my family and I to go if it meant spending literally 2/4 days either in a line or in Hall H.  Not only has being in a group changed that significantly (again, I think shift-wise I was only in line maybe 4 hours last year, though I helped a few people cover parts of their shift at times), but I've gotten to know a ton of great people from all over the world via the Group.

Sorry for the rambling.  I've seen the fruits of the Group-mentality many times over: from helping with lines, to helping with badge-buying, helping w/exclusives, helping with signings, to just having people to hang out with and chat throughout the Con.

[member=380]perc2100[/member] Love everything about this post!  So glad you found a fantastic group to work with, and that you've all become con friends!! 

Our buying group was one of the early ones here, formed in 2013 for the 2014 badge sale.  We've had some people come and go but also have quite a few people who participate year after year.  We help one another with the hotel sale as well, and various other ticket purchases, etc. throughout the year, as well as at SDCC.  We see each other at the FoCC meet ups and also have a group meet up that is just us.  We organize through a FB group and do most of our chatting through Messenger.  It works for us!

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #221 on: October 15, 2019, 10:49:17 AM »

*** NOTE ***

I looked at that a while back but I can't find the post. [member=5606]tsnyder[/member] is right, the more people in the group the better your chances but there are diminishing returns to consider against the work needed to manage a larger group. The math isn't too bad if you assume everyone has equal chances but you have to make an assumption about the overall probability that a session will be chosen. 

If you can code a bit it is also a good problem to look at via simulation. A key thing is to fix on what questions you want to ask, for example the odds of you getting a badge versus the entire group getting a badge, and so on.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #222 on: October 15, 2019, 11:50:03 AM »
I looked at that a while back but I can't find the post. [member=5606]tsnyder[/member] is right, the more people in the group the better your chances but there are diminishing returns to consider against the work needed to manage a larger group. The math isn't too bad if you assume everyone has equal chances but you have to make an assumption about the overall probability that a session will be chosen. 

If you can code a bit it is also a good problem to look at via simulation. A key thing is to fix on what questions you want to ask, for example the odds of you getting a badge versus the entire group getting a badge, and so on.
Yeah I might be thinking of a post you made quite awhile back that had real nitty gritty type detail about this stuff.  I suck at math, but this time of statistical analysis fascinates me for reasons my HS and college math teachers might find amusing, I guess!  I kind of vaguely remember a real good breakdown of this type of stuff, but to be honest it was written well before I joined a group that was larger than the people in my immediate family/friends circle so I likely passively read it.

I'll do some digging over the next day or two (Tuesdays and especially Wednesday are lighter days for me than other days of the week) and if I find the post I'll share here.  I vaguely remember statistics that showed chances for Returning Reg vs Open Reg, group/no group, etc. and I kind of remember it being really well-thought out and detailed (and compelling).

I'm definitely not the group leader, and I happily sit back and mostly hope I don't screw things up for our fabulous leader who really does a lot of awesome leg work for us knuckleheads that hopefully don't ruin everything (like, for example, I somehow found a way and screwed up coding in the spreadsheet logging Saturday, or something  :o )

Offline Nyjin

• Room 6BCF
  • Sleeping at Panels
  • Liked: 139
« Reply #223 on: October 15, 2019, 12:29:52 PM »
Popping in to say my group of about 6 was entirely successful in getting all 4 days (No Preview night).

Now to wait for Open Reg to help out a few new friends (and maybe snag Preview Night).

And then, my favorite part of them all...Hotelpocalypse.   ;D

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #224 on: October 15, 2019, 01:32:29 PM »
Popping in to say my group of about 6 was entirely successful in getting all 4 days (No Preview night).

Now to wait for Open Reg to help out a few new friends (and maybe snag Preview Night).

And then, my favorite part of them all...Hotelpocalypse.   ;D
[member=8008]Nyjin[/member] - Get outta my mind...I was just thinking about you and all of the hotel angels.  Am I actually looking forward to the post hotelpocalypse angel watch?!!  Dare I say...yes?   ::)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia