Author Topic: Renting a condo or AirBNB for SDCC? (Post advice or questions here!)  (Read 36925 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Question regarding downtown room for rent
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2017, 09:44:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
On your first note, I hear you. Our former neighbors are an elderly couple who now live in an apartment a few blocks from SDCC, want nothing to do with SDCC and complain about it every year, have a son and grandkids in Australia that they could visit, have had us housesit before when we were neighbors, BUT STILL HAVEN'T REALIZED THE OBVIOUS SOLUTION TO THE WHOLE THING.

Sorry, I feel better now.

On the actual question, prices will be all over the map and their best source of research would be airbnb and vrbo I think. But expect it to take a while to sift through it all. It sounds like the location is great but the price will depend a lot on capacity and amenities, (parking, AC, etc.) Also keep in mind that people in the gaslamp will typically raise prices during SDCC, plus people that have more reasonable rates may already have booked. You should still be able to get a good read by looking at dates outside of SDCC and comparing the differences.

A more devilish approach might be to call up some of those management companies you come across, say you are trying to decide if it would be a good financial idea to start renting the place and see if they can give a rough estimate to help with the decision >:D

Time range is trickier, we have always done at least a week with airbnb but part of the reason is that the places we have stayed have offered a discount for a week's stay.

Thanks for the input!  I'm trying to not only help our friend, but also try to give her fair prices for attendees.  I'd hate to be complicit in any way of price gouging! 

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
Re: Question regarding downtown room for rent
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2017, 02:39:42 PM »
Thanks for the input!  I'm trying to not only help our friend, but also try to give her fair prices for attendees.  I'd hate to be complicit in any way of price gouging!

I'd definitely like to note that if you check vrbo or other r rental sites as a price example, most if not all "reasonable rates" during SDCC reflect their usual asking price, but does not account for the inflated comic con price. Every time we've went for a rental, we've found that these are the listings that either weren't taken down (but are accounted for), or they just haven't changed the price for that week but it is in fact, very inflated :/ We've even stayed 12 blocks away before and the price is still well over any hotel rate

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline fborrego79

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
Re: Renting a condo or AirBNB for SDCC? (Post advice or questions here!)
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2017, 06:16:57 AM »
I've heard a few horror stories for people who booked though services like AirBnB. Be sure to read the fine print and specifically what the companies policy is if the location cancels on you. You dont want to be shut out at the last minute because the owners friends/family decided to go to SDCC!

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2017, 08:39:54 AM »
I've heard a few horror stories for people who booked though services like AirBnB. Be sure to read the fine print and specifically what the companies policy is if the location cancels on you. You dont want to be shut out at the last minute because the owners friends/family decided to go to SDCC!

I would definitely look at their history, not sure about VRBO but in airbnb you can tell how often the owner canceled on somebody. I would also look to see if anyone stayed there during previous SDCC dates.

Offline kihou

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2017, 03:01:44 PM »
I tried to book a place with instant booking last month, and the host messaged me back saying he had it priced too low and that if I didn't like the new price, I should cancel.  After bringing it up with Airbnb, they sided with him and canceled my booking and now his place is up again for $1000+ more.  They offered me a $200 re-booking credit but now that it's after the badge sale, all the nearby places are way more expensive. 

It might be worth trying for it if you don't secure a good hotel, but I wouldn't risk it again.  I took my refund and ran.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2017, 03:15:57 PM »
My Airbnb canceled on me yesterday. :(

Fortunately, this was right before the hotel lottery so I just decided to try my luck in that. If we don't get one of the Downtown hotels in the low 200s, I'll probably look for another Airbnb.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 06:52:14 PM »
My Airbnb canceled on me yesterday. :(

Fortunately, this was right before the hotel lottery so I just decided to try my luck in that. If we don't get one of the Downtown hotels in the low 200s, I'll probably look for another Airbnb.

Dang, close call!

Offline chaosdreamer

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2017, 07:37:04 PM »
Anyone using VRBO should also remember that they starting charging a "4%-9% booking fee" last year on top of what the owner actually charges for the rental.

Offline Deathbyjackal

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 193
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2017, 09:40:05 PM »
Hey gang,

It looks like we have secured ourselves a hotel room in the sale and will NOT be using our backup, a condo off of AirBnB. I've paid for it, but it's fully refundable. I can cancel anytime, but if there's someone that's particularly interested, I can cancel at a convenient time so that someone else can swoop in and grab it!

Of course, it's an AirBnB, so there's always a chance that the host will cancel, or something won't work out, but it's worth a shot!

PM if interested.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2017, 05:37:29 AM »
Hey gang,

It looks like we have secured ourselves a hotel room in the sale and will NOT be using our backup, a condo off of AirBnB. I've paid for it, but it's fully refundable. I can cancel anytime, but if there's someone that's particularly interested, I can cancel at a convenient time so that someone else can swoop in and grab it!

Of course, it's an AirBnB, so there's always a chance that the host will cancel, or something won't work out, but it's worth a shot!

PM if interested.
how much was it?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Deathbyjackal

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2017, 07:42:01 AM »
how much was it?

My apologies, should have listed.

Tuesday-Sunday
$1734

Offline Deathbyjackal

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2017, 10:44:46 AM »
[member=1]alyssa[/member] , is this the best thread to post about the available AirBnB? I can always post on some other thread, if it felt relevant, say the Hotel Exchange chat, etc.

If not, I'll keep it right here!

Thanks!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2017, 10:50:06 AM »
[member=1]alyssa[/member] , is this the best thread to post about the available AirBnB? I can always post on some other thread, if it felt relevant, say the Hotel Exchange chat, etc.

If not, I'll keep it right here!

Thanks!

keep it right here
i think once hotels get sorted next week you'll know one way or the other if someone wants it- everyone is absorbed in the hotel sale right now.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2017, 12:09:55 PM »
Hey gang,

PM if interested.

Wow, that place looks amazing. I'm bookmarking it for friends who visit SD!
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Deathbyjackal

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2017, 12:41:10 PM »
Wow, that place looks amazing. I'm bookmarking it for friends who visit SD!

I know right! It looks like a fantastic spot. I hate to give it up, but I'd be happier if I knew a forum member in need had a place to stay. Full disclosure, I'm not certain if the owner knows it's Comic-con week.