Author Topic: Useful items to take to SDCC  (Read 154011 times)

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
Re: Useful items to take to SDCC
« Reply #450 on: March 27, 2019, 08:31:03 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If that is anything like my Helinox chairs then YES! Probably my best quality of life purchase for SDCC in a few years. So comfy and easy to carry in a backpack that you could have it on you everyday, just in case (though I don't do this).

Also, greetings to a fellow Team Valor member.
It is a helinox chair.... started with it the 2nd time I went to SDCC. Discovered very quickly that my old bones didn't like sitting on the ground.  Took a long look at what others were doing and started asking folks with things that I thought might work where they got them and what the name of the item was.  Certain things were out of the question, because I come in from the east coast and they just wouldn't work. My daughter kept swiping it every time I got up to go somewhere.... she now has her own...lol.
Valor strong!!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #451 on: March 27, 2019, 09:49:07 AM »
Jopari recommended the Helinox chairs long ago. I bought 2 and never looked back. Last year on a whim I tossed a small umbrella into my bag, and boy, did I use it! Sitting in my Helinox chair in a line with the umbrella to shade me from the sun awas a life-saver!

And yes, the power brick is useful too! Keeps my devices charged all day, and I can share it with friends!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #452 on: Today at 03:49:05 PM »

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #452 on: March 27, 2019, 11:06:49 AM »
Jopari recommended the Helinox chairs long ago. I bought 2 and never looked back. Last year on a whim I tossed a small umbrella into my bag, and boy, did I use it! Sitting in my Helinox chair in a line with the umbrella to shade me from the sun awas a life-saver!

And yes, the power brick is useful too! Keeps my devices charged all day, and I can share it with friends!
I took an umbrella my first year; it was a life saver! I also took a solar "blanket" for overnight... it gets cold while waiting!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline clarrkkent

• Gaming Lounge
  • @Wa_Fly_Guy on IG
  • Liked: 177
« Reply #453 on: March 27, 2019, 11:10:49 AM »
I found a refillable water bottle and easy to transport/open snacks are a necessity... food in the con leaves a bit to be desired. ::)

You mean you aren’t happy with a steady diet of pretzels, cheese sauce, and chocolate chip cookies?

I’m a pretty health conscious person on a daily basis. Let’s say comic con was not my finest moment in that regard due to lack of easy access “dining” options.

I’ve never had so many pretzels and cheese sauce in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline eek

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 70
« Reply #454 on: March 27, 2019, 02:59:56 PM »

I also brought a small umbrella for the first time to SDCC last year and it definitely came in handy for some long outdoor lines!

Offline clarrkkent

• Gaming Lounge
  • @Wa_Fly_Guy on IG
  • Liked: 177
« Reply #455 on: March 27, 2019, 03:04:24 PM »
I also brought a small umbrella for the first time to SDCC last year and it definitely came in handy for some long outdoor lines!

Agree on this! We came prepared with chairs, but not with umbrellas or other shade apparatus. Sunscreen kept me from burning and the chair saved my feet, but waiting just an hour in the blazing sun made me feel like I was going to melt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Cender26

• Sails Pavilion
  • Enjoys Being a SDCC Volunteer!
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #456 on: March 29, 2019, 09:43:10 AM »

If you have the right chair for it, buy an umbrella chair clip or holder that you can screw onto the chair. I brought a umbrella but after a while you dont want to hold it for hours in line. I got a mini lightweight umbrella and an umbrella holder that worked with my chair, propped it up last year so I could read on my tab easily. People sitting around me wanted the same setup too.

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #457 on: April 01, 2019, 09:41:22 AM »
If you have the right chair for it, buy an umbrella chair clip or holder that you can screw onto the chair. I brought a umbrella but after a while you dont want to hold it for hours in line. I got a mini lightweight umbrella and an umbrella holder that worked with my chair, propped it up last year so I could read on my tab easily. People sitting around me wanted the same setup too.

Why hold or clip your umbrella when you can simply wear it?
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #458 on: April 01, 2019, 10:57:13 AM »
I was listening in to my boss talking to CCI about the congestion in certain places at SDCC and they are considering putting in moving floors , similar to the moving walkways at the airport. Of course this would solve 2 problems. one is congestion and the other is being able to see stuff. It's raised, so you'll get a better view. Concerns over wheelchairs, strollers would take a regular path.

They are used all of the time in Europe, and gaining speed (pun intended) here in the states the past few months.

April Fools

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #459 on: April 01, 2019, 11:26:17 AM »
I was listening in to my boss talking to CCI about the congestion in certain places at SDCC and they are considering putting in moving floors , similar to the moving walkways at the airport. Of course this would solve 2 problems. one is congestion and the other is being able to see stuff. It's raised, so you'll get a better view. Concerns over wheelchairs, strollers would take a regular path.

They are used all of the time in Europe, and gaining speed (pun intended) here in the states the past few months.

April Fools

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #460 on: April 01, 2019, 11:33:33 AM »
It is a helinox chair.... started with it the 2nd time I went to SDCC. Discovered very quickly that my old bones didn't like sitting on the ground.  Took a long look at what others were doing and started asking folks with things that I thought might work where they got them and what the name of the item was.  Certain things were out of the question, because I come in from the east coast and they just wouldn't work. My daughter kept swiping it every time I got up to go somewhere.... she now has her own...lol.
Valor strong!!
After reading the love for helinox chairs i went ahead and ordered one off of Amazon. Ready for the lines :)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #461 on: April 01, 2019, 01:50:03 PM »
After reading the love for helinox chairs i went ahead and ordered one off of Amazon. Ready for the lines :)

When you get it, make sure that you practice putting it together and breaking it down. (HINT: Examine it carefully before you unwrap it the first time!)  While usually you can take a bit of time to put it together, sometimes at SDCC lines start moving suddenly and you have to pack up QUICKLY. You don't want to be sitting there for 5 minutes putting your chair away. There is definitely a knack to breaking down the Helinox chairs quickly.

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #462 on: April 02, 2019, 11:59:28 AM »
When you get it, make sure that you practice putting it together and breaking it down. (HINT: Examine it carefully before you unwrap it the first time!)  While usually you can take a bit of time to put it together, sometimes at SDCC lines start moving suddenly and you have to pack up QUICKLY. You don't want to be sitting there for 5 minutes putting your chair away. There is definitely a knack to breaking down the Helinox chairs quickly.

And keep track of your bag! One of my con buddies last year lost one of my Helinox bags. Pretty annoying.

Offline CarrieD

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #463 on: April 03, 2019, 01:10:54 PM »
I usually pick up the free poster tube at the Fox booth but with the Disney buyout I am wondering if I will have to bring one this year.
SDCC 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
SWCO 2017
FanExpo Canada 2018
Montreal CC  2016, 2019, 2022
Ottawa CC 2016, 2017

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #464 on: April 03, 2019, 02:18:27 PM »
I usually pick up the free poster tube at the Fox booth but with the Disney buyout I am wondering if I will have to bring one this year.
I was wondering if they will do major cutbacks on giveaways because of Disney. I'm hoping they will let them keep rolling along as normal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk