Author Topic: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)  (Read 24334 times)

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
Re: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2021, 12:41:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not rich, but I do ok.  I'm at a point in my life when I can be generous.  Actually, being generous has gotten me to this point.  I say all that to say this...

If it helps to maintain the event, they can keep my money.

If they need a donation,  I'm willing to do that as well.

This event is that important to me.     It has given me great joy, and I'm willing to make sacrifices for it to continue.  :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2021, 02:51:10 PM »
I'm not rich, but I do ok.  I'm at a point in my life when I can be generous.  Actually, being generous has gotten me to this point.  I say all that to say this...

If it helps to maintain the event, they can keep my money.

If they need a donation,  I'm willing to do that as well.

This event is that important to me.     It has given me great joy, and I'm willing to make sacrifices for it to continue.  :)
Me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #182 on: Today at 09:41:01 AM »

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2021, 03:19:52 PM »
So say we all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2021, 03:54:50 PM »
Also
1) it seems INCREDIBLY plausible/likely SDCCI will be 'back to normal' in 2022: meaning, they wouldn't have to stress mitigating attendance, and it would be 'easy' to just roll-over to next year again.  I know a handful of folks who have badges for 2021 that will definitely not go because they live with high-risk family members and still feel the situation is too dangerous now.
2) rolling over would also mean CCI sitting on the interest another year: some of the only income they're seeing right now
3) it would definitely placate the fanbase/attendees

It _feels_ like a win-win from my admittedly unknowledable position here.

Unless they have the money in some instrument that earns decent interest, holding onto the money costs them.  I'll be generous and round off safe interest rates at about 1%.  Inflation is double that.  So the buying power of that money is dropping 1% a year.  It's losing value.

My stance has been that it doesn't make sense to rollover.  It's unclear when the next comic-con will be and how much the next comic-con will cost.  The cleanest thing to have done is refund everyone.  To placate attendees, they could give those attendees the right of first refusal to buy new badges when the time comes.

I don't know anything about CCI's financials other than what's been reported, but I can't see how they could be in financial difficulty.  At a minimum, they are getting Federal aid.  There's still PPP money available, my bank keeps asking me to apply for some.  CCI has said they have the reserves to ride out a failed con.  That still hasn't happened.  I don't consider the canceled Wondercons and last year's comic-con to be that.  By all reports, they were released from contracts and insurance kicked in so they should be whole.  The reserves should still be there.  I don't know how much it costs to put on comic-con, but I have sat in on budgeting for another conference of similar size put on by a non-profit.  Considering that CCI is a volunteer organization and the number of paid employees are limited, CCI should be able to go on for a long time off the reserves even without Federal aid.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 03:59:53 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2021, 07:25:04 PM »
I'm hearing rumblings from panelists that are being asked to record video presentations for a virtual Comic-Con.  What this means:
* CCI is planning for virtual Comic-Con; or at least they're planning for a hybrid type of SDCCI with online panels and perhaps in-person events

OR

* CCI is hedging their bets: planning for the possibility of a virtual Comic-Con while also planning for in-person Con

\

Interesting to hear about the potential video presentations being canvassed already.

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #185 on: March 01, 2021, 12:13:40 PM »
I misread the tweet a couple of times, I thought the in person convention was cancelled but it was rather moved to November and a shorter event.

I am not sure if I would be in a position to attend. Everyone in Canada will be vaccinated before that date but I'm not sure what the state of the pandemic overall will be, plus not sure if I can take that time off in November. It would be interesting in a way to attend San Diego at a different time of year.

But there is also the online event in July - so is this November event truly "SDCC"? Or is it some other event? Will be interesting to see.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 12:15:50 PM by darqamin »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2021, 12:24:18 PM »
I misread the tweet a couple of times, I thought the in person convention was cancelled but it was rather moved to November and a shorter event.

I am not sure if I would be in a position to attend. Everyone in Canada will be vaccinated before that date but I'm not sure what the state of the pandemic overall will be, plus not sure if I can take that time off in November. It would be interesting in a way to attend San Diego at a different time of year.

But there is also the online event in July - so is this November event truly "SDCC"? Or is it some other event? Will be interesting to see.
There's no date specific for the November event, right (stupid marching band season will likely preclude me from attending anyway)?

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2021, 12:48:43 PM »

I don't think it will be a full on comic-con.  Why have a virtual one in July in that case?  It'll probably be a back to basics comic-con, a classic comic-con.  I still think it would be cool to combine a virtual online comic-con with a small in person comic-con timed to celebrate the opening of the CCM.  That is still slated to open this year.

In regards to this thread, would a smaller November in person event satisfy it?  If so, I'll need to change my vote.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #188 on: March 01, 2021, 12:50:50 PM »

In my head I thought moving the convention to a later date would be a good option.  If they pulled that off, then I'm thinking they're looking at another badge sale.  Interesting.  I'd definitely go to BOTH!!!

If it's shorter, I'm thinking Friday to Sunday. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 12:53:26 PM by sessionka »
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #189 on: March 01, 2021, 01:03:36 PM »
SDCC 2021 attendee badges are being rolled over to SDCC 2022 (although they are allowing some exhibitors to use their credit towards November). So it sounds like the November event will be a separate event. It will be three days and they say that pricing and capacity limits are forthcoming, so it won't be a full SDCC. I suspect it will be more like WonderCon.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #190 on: March 01, 2021, 01:14:44 PM »
It will probably still be hard to get a ticket to the November event -  I see a lottery coming!

Offline madfly

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #191 on: March 01, 2021, 01:29:36 PM »
Looks like maybe Nov 19-21?? On the SD Convention center website it says "Private Convention with Trade show" for that weekend.  All the other Nov weekends are booked with the names of the event.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #192 on: March 01, 2021, 01:45:32 PM »
Looks like maybe Nov 19-21?? On the SD Convention center website it says "Private Convention with Trade show" for that weekend.  All the other Nov weekends are booked with the names of the event.

If so, it'll be small since the attendance for that event will be 7000.  It'll also be confusing since there are two other events at the convention center that weekend.

If it's a smaller event, it may not be at the convention center.  In my mind, I'm picturing something like comic fest.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2021, 01:49:41 PM »
It will probably still be hard to get a ticket to the November event -  I see a lottery coming!
IDK; it's def. not hard to go to the early spring WonderCon event, which I suspect may be larger than the November event.  I suspect at best the Nov. event will be similar to WonderCon: some comic company & TV/movie presence but nothing like Comic-Con size-wise

Offline madfly

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #194 on: March 01, 2021, 01:54:15 PM »
If so, it'll be small since the attendance for that event will be 7000.  It'll also be confusing since there are two other events at the convention center that weekend.

If it's a smaller event, it may not be at the convention center.  In my mind, I'm picturing something like comic fest.

I didn't see any other events that same weekend. I'll have to look again. But you're right, it may be at a different location....