Author Topic: Books - What are you reading?  (Read 79359 times)

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
Re: Books - What are you reading?
« Reply #240 on: June 13, 2017, 06:36:37 PM »
Just finishing "The Handmaid's Tale" , while watching the Hulu series.
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #241 on: June 16, 2017, 04:48:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For sci fi fans (which... I'm guess is a lot of you  ;) ), I want to recommend Michael C. Grumley's Breakthrough series. So far there are 4, with a fifth in progress. They are quick reads and action-packed. The main plot in the first one is that scientists build a computer program that allows them to talk to dolphins. The government then uses the program to investigate some disturbances at the bottom of the ocean.

I randomly borrowed the first of the series from the Kindle Owners Lending Library last year, and I was finally able to get my hands on the fourth one, so I'm all caught up. I believe all of them are available on Kindle Unlimited. Only the first one is available on Prime Reading, but they are all still available for lending through the Lending Library (which is unfortunately one-book-per-calendar-month).

I'm not scientifically minded, so I don't know how accurate the science is in these, but the books present (to me, anyway) as hard science fiction.

Anyway, I think they're fun books, so I wanted to let people know about them.

I'll check them out. I recommended The Martian to some coworkers and they keep bugging me for more hard sci fi recommendations but don't have the patience for things like Asimov's Foundation. Picky buggers.

Just finished Robin Hobb's latest Farseer book, loved it and am now carrying on with the Dresden Files - on book 10 and absolutely love them!

Dresden is one of those series I keep putting off, partly because I know I'll have to go through all of them once I start. One of these days though ... :)

Just finishing "The Handmaid's Tale" , while watching the Hulu series.

My son just got his summer reading list for school and that's one of the options. My daughter's reading list (she's going into 9th grade) was surprisingly sci fi heavy, with I am Legend, Never Let Me Go, Ready Player One, some Bradbury stories, etc.

It's Bloomsday today so all Ulysses for me tonight. Maybe I'll attempt a page of Finnegan's Wake if I feel up to it.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #242 on: Today at 04:20:48 PM »

Offline Shauni48

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #242 on: June 17, 2017, 08:16:34 PM »
I'm hoping he might have some Artemis ARCs at SDCC this year...

I've never tried for ARCs at SDCC, but I want to this year. Are the lines chaos or controlled? Or does it just depend on the book/publisher/booth?

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #243 on: June 17, 2017, 08:31:56 PM »
I'll check them out. I recommended The Martian to some coworkers and they keep bugging me for more hard sci fi recommendations but don't have the patience for things like Asimov's Foundation. Picky buggers.

Well, I have to say that Breakthrough is definitely not on the same level as The Martian (but what is?). It's much lighter on the scientific specifics. But definitely good for people with little patience! Without spoiling too much, there are some "not of this world" parts. So that might be a turn off for some people.

Offline dazuhyka

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #244 on: June 19, 2017, 05:33:11 AM »
Asians invented a fantasy wardrobe for books.  [/URL]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
[/img]

[/URL]You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
[/img]

Offline dazuhyka

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #245 on: June 19, 2017, 06:34:04 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:47:56 AM by dazuhyka »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #246 on: June 28, 2017, 03:12:48 PM »
The Batman Elmer Fudd comic that is out today is really, really good. (So good I didn't type "weally, weally good" in the last sentence.)

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #247 on: June 28, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »
The Batman Elmer Fudd comic that is out today is really, really good. (So good I didn't type "weally, weally good" in the last sentence.)
Do you have a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #248 on: June 28, 2017, 03:48:14 PM »
Do you have a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's one review

To buy it looks like it's sold out on most of the online places, I see the variant still available at bada$$

I'm sure it's available digitally at the usual places but I'm still a paper person. Overall, these crossovers have been really good. Last week's Wonder Woman / Tasmanian Devil was great. There's a collection out next February.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #249 on: June 28, 2017, 04:31:56 PM »
I finished Handmaid's Tale yesterday.  Wish it could go on and on...

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #250 on: June 28, 2017, 06:02:26 PM »
I finished Handmaid's Tale yesterday.  Wish it could go on and on...

At least the series fleshed out more of the background, and will continue the story next season...

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #251 on: June 28, 2017, 06:28:05 PM »
I got a ton of ARCs at BookCon this year (mostly YA, the YA fan base is huge at BookCon), and I have yet to read any of them. :)

I just finished reading The Leavers by Lisa Ko, which I really liked. I've been reading a lot more books on my phone now that I figured out how to get ebooks from my library...

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #252 on: June 28, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »
In preparation for his forthcoming third installment of Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive entitled Oathbringer, I have reread everything that I know of Sanderson's writing for the second time. I was convinced the guy in the drive through at McDonald's was Hoyd. Now, to settle myself down before the Con, I've gone back home. Right about now Goldberry is going to sing our young hobbits to sleep, along with yours truly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #253 on: June 29, 2017, 06:01:24 AM »
My small town library just got ebook access a few months ago so I finally got a library card!! I didn't get one before because they were pretty much only open during the hours I was at work. But now, I have read so many books already! I just read Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood since I loved the Handmaid's Tale and now I'm on to the "sequel" The Year of The Flood.  Oryx and Crake was really good-another dystopian novel but it's hard to describe without giving out spoilers. The Year of the Flood is more like a companion as it takes place around the same time but with different characters.  I'm having a hard time getting hooked but I'm only 25% through it.  I know the third book in this series goes back to Oryx and Crake (or I think at least) so I'm going to push through as I want to know what happens with those guys.  If you liked The Handmaid's Tale I would recommend Oryx and Crake. It is written more like a novel, it doesn't have the grammar "issues" like Handmaid, but does share the dystopia themes and social issues.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #254 on: June 29, 2017, 08:29:46 AM »
My small town library just got ebook access a few months ago so I finally got a library card!! I didn't get one before because they were pretty much only open during the hours I was at work. But now, I have read so many books already! I just read Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood since I loved the Handmaid's Tale and now I'm on to the "sequel" The Year of The Flood.  Oryx and Crake was really good-another dystopian novel but it's hard to describe without giving out spoilers. The Year of the Flood is more like a companion as it takes place around the same time but with different characters.  I'm having a hard time getting hooked but I'm only 25% through it.  I know the third book in this series goes back to Oryx and Crake (or I think at least) so I'm going to push through as I want to know what happens with those guys.  If you liked The Handmaid's Tale I would recommend Oryx and Crake. It is written more like a novel, it doesn't have the grammar "issues" like Handmaid, but does share the dystopia themes and social issues.

I just downloaded Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood - beach reading for next week, can't wait!  I'll add the others you recommend, as well.

An aside, we have a summer cottage on the Rideau and I read my way through the small town library when I was a teen.  Good memory!