Author Topic: Hall H line start times  (Read 7667 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Hall H line start times
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2022, 11:43:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I think you're right AND wrong. It's true the SDCC attendees don't follow the rules exactly as set out. But it's also true that CCI doesn't enforce the rules they do set out much of the time, so they've inadvertently 'taught' attendees that the rule breaking often doesn't have consequences, and is beneficial most of the time. That's not an environment that incentivizes rule following (which drives me mad as I am very much a rule follower).

It's also true that enforcement would have had to be harsh and consistent at the beginning (I think 'jackbooted security state' is going a bit far, but yes, it would have sucked). CCI seems to generally like to operate using only the carrot and not the stick, but sometimes enforcing rules is necessary. As I said, I think if they had moved to nip this in the bud early on, the extra security/enforcement might have only had to last for a year or two, until it was established as a norm. As you said about your line group - most of the people at SDCC are great! We want to follow rules and be nice to each other. And we also want to not reward people who make the experience worse for the rest of us. So I think there was a way to establish a relatively self-policing norm - which is basically how the lines are now anyway. They just wouldn't be three days long.

Also, as You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and others have mentioned, they have the opportunity for creative solutions. Move the next day line to far apart secret locations each day. Make it a lottery. Make each member ID eligible for only 1 day in Hall H. Other, better things people smarter than me can come up with. But instead CCI just sort of managed the problem just enough for it not to become utter chaos, and then settled into a sort of accidental format that attendees basically made up. To paraphrase Ned Flanders's parents - they've tried nothing and they're all out of ideas.
Yeah, this is a great point that illustrates that this is absolutely not an easy problem to solve.  I think that's why I'm generally laid back about it all.  In 20 years of being an attendee, I merely care about being in the room of the panels I want to see: I don't care about front row, front section, etc.  I obviously have preferences, but I've had some pretty not-great seats in Hall H and still saw amazing footage & have been wildly entertained.  For example, the year of AVENGERS in theaters when Marvel was promoting IRON MAN THREE, I was in the very very back.  I was impatiently awaiting Marvel panel to start, and after a bit the lights when down and RDJ came from behind to make a grand entrance: high-fived me on his way to the stage!  So for me, joining a line-up group years ago was THE game changer for me, and as long as I'm in Hall H with a great view of the screens I'm happy.  If I'm close enough to get great pics of the stage, even better, but as long as I have a good view of a screen I'm golden.

Offline Verdant

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2022, 01:11:17 PM »
nothing new just different distribution times

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 05:15:33 PM »

Offline Eric_Draven66

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2022, 03:18:27 PM »
well good thing is Friday badges for Saturday are at 9:30 so beople can eat after the floor closes and have time to get in line.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2022, 03:42:46 PM »
In an effort to accommodate as many people as possible with the least amount of impact for all, please follow the rules below:

Camping is not allowed.

Absolutely no tents, canopies, inflatables, cots, beds, furniture, oversized coolers, space heaters, large fans, large umbrellas, chaise lounges, open flames, or anything of a similar nature of any kind as determined by the San Diego Convention Center.

You are permitted to have one chair per person of relatively normal size. You may also use a blanket or sleeping bag, provided it is only taking up the space of one person.
You cannot leave unattended personal items (chairs, sleeping bags, umbrellas, etc.) as a placeholder in line. Someone must be present at all times. You can hold space for no more than 5 people.

No facilities or services will be available in Plaza Park, so plan accordingly.

Restroom access will be available in Lobby G of the Convention Center from 9:00 PM to 7:00 AM each night starting Tuesday, July 19. No other access to facilities will be available.

DISTRIBUTION DATES/TIMES
Wednesday, July 20: Wristband distribution for Thursday panels in Hall H will begin at 8:00 PM in the general Hall H line in Plaza Park.

Thursday, July 21: Wristband distribution for Friday panels in Hall H will begin at 7:15 PM at the front of the Next Day Line.

Friday, July 22: Wristband distribution for Saturday panels in Hall H will begin at 9:15 PM at the front of the Next Day Line.

Saturday, July 23: Wristband distribution for Sunday panels in Hall H will begin at 9:15 PM at the front of the Next Day Line.

Please Note: Wristband distribution will continue throughout the night until all wristbands are distributed or until 7:30 AM the following day.

Remember, you do not need to wait in line overnight to receive first seating. Your wristband ensures first seating for the first panel of the day in Hall H. You are welcome to have someone hold your place in line or simply return to the end of the wristbanded line prior to 7:30 AM.

Wristbands will only be used for the first panel of the day in Hall H. Once the wristband line has been let into the hall, individuals without wristbands will be allowed to enter.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 03:48:26 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2022, 03:44:37 PM »
The real question for me is whether or not they enforce their policies.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2022, 03:50:27 PM »
The real question for me is whether or not they enforce their policies.

I would love to find a way to enforce the 1 to 5 ratio.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Eric_Draven66

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2022, 05:53:51 PM »

that would make it for people to actually do a overnight shift, I like the overnight shift but i see that alot of groups have like 1-3 people holding a sport for 50 people.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2022, 06:30:37 PM »
that would make it for people to actually do a overnight shift, I like the overnight shift but i see that alot of groups have like 1-3 people holding a sport for 50 people.

I do too but I have good camping gear ie a good very small air mattress

Offline Eric_Draven66

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2022, 07:12:38 PM »
lol i have nothing, just lay on the grass with my head on my backpack

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2022, 02:46:34 AM »

not possible, you will get people who will play line police/take pictures/whine and nothing will happen unless a fight breaks out.

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2022, 08:56:04 AM »

For a geek con it's funny how they think "camping" is only interpreted as using a tent. The whole post is contradictory lol. So you can't camp, but you can bring a sleeping bag, and you know the ratio for holding spots has been a problem in the past, but you're trying to create a fair system. Not saying that I'm against any of that, but this just rings hollow.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2022, 09:19:55 AM »
Yeah, the only way to enforce the 1:5 ratio is constant monitoring, and CCI doesn't have the resources for that.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2022, 09:22:17 AM »
The #1 problem is not enforcing the rules. If they honestly did not allow early lineup, people would stop. It would take hiring a professional security crew and the threat of losing your badge to make it happen though.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2022, 09:27:37 AM »
The #1 problem is not enforcing the rules. If they honestly did not allow early lineup, people would stop. It would take hiring a professional security crew and the threat of losing your badge to make it happen though.

Agreed. CCI has been reluctant to actually come down hard on the rules. Sometimes security will chase people away, but they always give conflicting answers as to what is allowed. They would need to be complete hardasses about it for a year with a clear policy strictly enforced with no exception (and everyone being on the same page).

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2022, 09:48:05 AM »
Agreed. CCI has been reluctant to actually come down hard on the rules. Sometimes security will chase people away, but they always give conflicting answers as to what is allowed. They would need to be complete hardasses about it for a year with a clear policy strictly enforced with no exception (and everyone being on the same page).

I don't think I'm alone in feeling that every year I start out with the intent to follow of the rules and guidelines. But then you watch dozens and eventually hundreds of people start to do their own thing with no consequences and suddenly realize your con experience is being eroded unless you adapt accordingly. After that, it becomes a balance of trying to respect everyone else's experience, while at the same time trying not to let yourself be taken advantage of by following the rules.

I feel most for people who aren't able to take advantage of being part of a larger organized group. Those really help a lot. At least I know they've helped me a lot.