Author Topic: Are you attending SDCC 2023?  (Read 9822 times)

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
Are you attending SDCC 2023?
« on: January 28, 2023, 10:07:16 PM »
I had a great time attending last year. Normally I go into a post-SDCC phase for a month or two where I feel like I've attended enough recently and can skip the convention for at least a year. Then I slowly get interested in attending again as the year progresses and start eagerly looking for lottery dates and  panel applications by February ;D I'm not feeling that this year, partly with inflation and rising living costs making this kind of trip (particularly coming from Canada for me) more expensive.

I'm curious how people are feeling, if they are already committed to attending this year or making up their minds.

Offline highgiant

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 83
Re: Are you attending SDCC 2023?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 03:43:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I had a great time attending last year. Normally I go into a post-SDCC phase for a month or two where I feel like I've attended enough recently and can skip the convention for at least a year. Then I slowly get interested in attending again as the year progresses and start eagerly looking for lottery dates and  panel applications by February ;D I'm not feeling that this year, partly with inflation and rising living costs making this kind of trip (particularly coming from Canada for me) more expensive.

I'm curious how people are feeling, if they are already committed to attending this year or making up their minds.

Coming from Ireland. Flights booked and badge secure so definitely committed. It's just a question of how the hotel lottery goes at this stage.

I do think though that with the way the economy is potentially going that I may not attend in 2024 as it is an expensive trip overall but just going to enjoy this year first and can think about 2024 after that.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:14:54 PM »

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 09:41:08 AM »
WonderCon first. It’s a great whetting of the appetite for SDCC (and a great way for this Minnesotan to thaw out). Hope to see you there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 11:02:58 AM »
I'm addicted. I have to go every year. I would give up other cons first before canceling SDCC. Of course, I live in California and drive to San Diego, so that does lower my costs as compared to someone who must fly.

It is terrifying how much cost of living has increased, for food, energy and other things. Travel costs are high, and don't seem to be coming down anytime soon. If you do not attend, Darqamin, I will miss seeing you there, but with such a distance to travel, it is understandable if you would want to stick closer to home for your cons.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 12:52:47 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 11:56:59 AM »
Just waiting for hotel sales, but badges and flight are already purchased. I know the con has its on and off years, but I feel like I always have a good time and it's worth the time and expense for me.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 12:28:26 PM »
I'm addicted. I have to go every year. I would give up other cons first before canceling SDCC. Of course, I live in California and drive to San Diego, so that does lower my costs as compared to someone who can fly.

It is terrifying how much cost of living has increased, for food, energy and other things. Travel costs are high, and don't seem to be coming down anytime soon. If you do not attend, Darqamin, I will miss seeing you there, but with such a distance to travel, it is understandable if you would want to stick closer to home for your cons.

I'm addicted as well.  It's a line item on my budget   :) , and I travel from New York.  The two years it was cancelled were 'painful' for me. 

I could go to NYCC with significantly less expenses, but it doesn't have the same hold on me. 

I've been checking airfares, but I probably won't book until about April.  I am looking forward to the hotel sale.

I have to say I'm always impressed whenever I meet international attendees.  That is true love of the Con.   :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 12:38:11 PM »
Yes, I am in full planning mode.  Combine vacation with SDCC. Love it. Need it.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 04:25:35 PM »
Absolutely still going. I'm always burnt out immediately after SDCC, but by the time the new year rolls around, my anticipation always starts rising again. Especially this year, with the market being saturated with so much cool stuff that's either currently out or releasing soon.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 01:46:17 PM »
I'm addicted. I have to go every year. I would give up other cons first before canceling SDCC. Of course, I live in California and drive to San Diego, so that does lower my costs as compared to someone who must fly.

TJ’s post sums up my opinion perfectly.

Lastly, do what you think is best Darqamin. You either have fun being at SDCC, or save lots money by not going, but both are winners to me.
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 02:54:46 PM »
I'm addicted as well.  It's a line item on my budget   :) , and I travel from New York.  The two years it was cancelled were 'painful' for me. 

I could go to NYCC with significantly less expenses, but it doesn't have the same hold on me. 

I've been checking airfares, but I probably won't book until about April.  I am looking forward to the hotel sale.

I have to say I'm always impressed whenever I meet international attendees.  That is true love of the Con.   :)
What is this thing you call 'budget' for SDCC?  ;D
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 04:52:11 PM »
What is this thing you call 'budget' for SDCC?  ;D

"A budget is a spending plan based on income and expenses. In other words, it's an estimate of how much money you'll make and spend over a certain period of time, such as a month or year. "

Come on.  Everyone who goes to Comic Con has one of those.  right.   :)

One Year, I met a woman who COMES FROM AUSTRALIA, at the FOCC breakfast.  She showed me her budget.  I was very impressed.

I was blessed to get a Christmas bonus last year.  When my boss told me, I added, "well Comic Con is covered".  He added, "Maybe we should just make the check out to Comic Con".   :).
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2023, 08:49:00 PM »
I have my badge for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  I’m skipping Thursday because the week before I will be in London for the women’s and men’s singles championships of the Wimbledon tennis match and won’t be back in the States until the Tuesday before the Con.  Two things I will do differently this year is participate in the hotel apocalypse instead of Ace Parking and will do either Friday OR Saturday Hall H panel.  I will not do both days.  Last year I made a last second hotel reservation that was an hour drive from the site and was foolish into thinking I can deprive myself of sleep for two consecutive days in trying to do both Friday and Saturday.  I almost collapsed and almost let down my fellow line mates.  I live and learn from my mistakes.  This year I’ll only do one day of Hall H.  Plus I should be in a hotel in vicinity of the convention center and not 30 miles away like last year.  And I won’t be doing Friday and Saturday this year.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 08:54:00 PM by Andrew Costa Mesa »
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline Berts

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 144
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 07:46:27 AM »
Nothing lasts forever and I know there will be a time when either SDCC changes beyond recognition, or my interest wanes... but it hasn't happened yet and I don't foresee it happening any time soon. I've been going for almost 15 years now and I'm so hooked. I absolutely love it. Some of the absolute best memories of my life and happiest and most fun moments with my wife (and now my mom and cousin) have been at Comic-Con. SDCC and spring training for baseball are the only two permanent trips in my yearly trip itinerary. As soon as the exhibit hall closes on Sunday, I start looking forward to next year and when the new year rolls around, I really get into SDCC mode. I try to do and see as much as I possibly can each year and I still feel like I haven't done even half of what SDCC has to offer. I love every minute of it.

The only feeling that I've been able to identify that's similar to how I feel about SDCC is when I was a kid and December 1st hit. Then it was maximum Christmas anticipation and each day felt longer than the previous one until the 25th. That's how I start to feel in January about SDCC.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2023, 11:32:07 AM »
Haven't missed an SDCC since my first one in 2000, and I'm looking forward to this summer!  I have a blast attending w/my family, meeting up with old friends from all-over that I only see during Comic-Con, and I'm looking forward to all the fun stuff that's also wildly unpredictable   :P

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2023, 08:27:21 PM »
Thanks for the comments and support everyone!  :)

Even if I don't attend, I will be applying for some of the fan panels I applied for last time as I am the one organizing them and I know people who can fill them out  as panelists ;D