Author Topic: Third Annual Nerd HQ Returns To San Diego July 18-21, Finds New Home At Petco Pa  (Read 64583 times)

Offline xminorityx

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
Re: NerdHQ back for 2013!
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2013, 11:29:48 PM »
how long does volunteer registration stay open for?
I missed out on SDCC tickets but I have my fingers crossed for the resale. Would prefer to register after I know for certain if I have passes or not

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2013, 06:22:52 AM »
iirc, they don't stay open for very long.
personally, i'd register for the volunteer position & email them with regrets if you don't get badges.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Quislings

• Room 6BCF
    • Nerdophiles
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2013, 05:07:20 AM »
Has anyone volunteered for Nerd HQ before? I put in for it, but I'm trying to figure out what to expect.
Managing Editor of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | SDCC (2013 - 2018) | NYCC (2014 - 2018) | Wondercon (2017) | AwesomeCon (2014)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2013, 05:31:45 AM »
i've heard of people who've volunteered & loved it.  i can't quote or link to anything, just a vague remembrance.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2013, 03:35:07 PM »

Got this e-mail Sunday from Nerd HQ  :(

Did anybody get accepted as a volunteer?

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for applying to be a part of the Nerd Army as a volunteer for Nerd HQ 2013.  The outpouring of offers to volunteer for this year's event was both staggering and heartwarming and we truly appreciate your patience while the Volunteer Coordinating team reviewed all the submissions.
We thank you for your passion and interest, but as of this time we've filled all of the open volunteer positions.  Although we cannot add you to the ranks of the Nerd Army this year, you can still help expand the Nerdolution by spreading the word about The Nerd Machine, participating in the #NerdHQ festivities at SDCC, and by continuing to be an awesome example of what it means to be a NERD each and every day.
Thank you again for your unwavering support and passion.
Viva La Nerdolution!!!!!!

The Nerd Machine Volunteer Coordinators
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline nerdftw

• Ballroom 20
  • "Eleven's the best; you'll cry your eyes out"
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »
Got my rejection letter as well :(
Oswin: Is there a word for total screaming genius that sounds modest and a tiny bit sexy?

The Doctor: Doctor. You call me the Doctor.

Offline Quislings

• Room 6BCF
    • Nerdophiles
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2013, 06:58:46 PM »
I was also rejected, along with two of my friends who applied. I'm thinking enough people who didn't have Comic Con tickets applied and they must have staffed Nerd HQ with those who has less conflicting schedules?
Managing Editor of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | SDCC (2013 - 2018) | NYCC (2014 - 2018) | Wondercon (2017) | AwesomeCon (2014)

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2013, 07:12:37 AM »
I've seen a few friends on FB/Twitter mention rejections as well.

Offline Jeff

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2013, 11:52:52 AM »
One of my friends has been accepted the last few years and she was telling me basically at this point they get enough applications to accept only people who are available like all day, everyday with no other commitments.  I thought about volunteering, but I knew I would get rejected so I'll just go enjoy it as a fan.

It sucks, but I totally understand their perspective.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2013, 12:36:41 PM »
I can understand that too, especially since people who might have SDCC badges are trying to commit to volunteering without a schedule. I might say, well yeah right now I can do Saturday from 3-6 but once that schedule is released....

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2013, 12:57:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I can understand that too, especially since people who might have SDCC badges are trying to commit to volunteering without a schedule. I might say, well yeah right now I can do Saturday from 3-6 but once that schedule is released....

It makes sense, they know they will get enough people who can commit to all days, it sorta like what expect from travel planners when they are filling rooms requests. They are going fill the requests for the most days first and then fill in the rest with single day requests , it only makes sense. Every event available has become a hot ticket :D , even volunteering
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
Third Annual Nerd HQ Returns To San Diego July 18-21, Finds New Home At Petco Park

Popular "Conversations for a Cause" To Return

LOS ANGELES, June  20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Zachary Levi and The Nerd Machine, a multimedia company that brings the best of apparel, accessories, and both long and short form video content to its global clientele, announced today that Nerd HQ will return to San Diego July 18th-21st in a new location, Petco Park (100 Park Blvd, San Diego, CA 92101), home of the San Diego Padres.

Over the last three years, Nerd HQ has continually expanded and given fans a unique experience while in San Diego for the international comic book and entertainment festival.  This year Nerd HQ will again provide fans with a home base where they can experience cutting edge technology and gaming showcases, exciting autograph signings, cornerstone events and exclusive parties, including Levi's annual NERD Party.

"With the move to Petco Park, we can bring fans an even bigger, more dynamic experience during Nerd HQ 2013," said Zachary Levi, Founder of The Nerd Machine.  "Moving to the ballpark is a major step in the growth of Nerd HQ and will allow us to expand our tradition of offering exclusive access to new games, technology, and the opportunity for intimate conversations with some of the Hollywood's most influential celebrities and creatives."

Returning this year is the very popular philanthropic panel series, "Conversations for a Cause" which will stream through The Nerd Machine YouTube page, NerdMachineTV. Last year's panels raised $140,000 for Operation Smile and consisted of some of the most talked about films, television shows and video games, including: "Chuck," "Doctor Who," "Grimm," "NTSF," "Robot Chicken," "The Man with the Iron Fist," "Expendables 2," "Tomb Raider" and "Twilight." Panelists included many of today's top actors, actresses and film and game makers including Ashley Greene, Guillermo del Toro, Jason Ritter, Jared Padalecki, Joss Whedon, Kellan Lutz, Lucy Liu, Nathan Fillion, RZA, Seth Green, Stan Lee, Terry Crews, and Zachary Levi, among many others. This year's panels, which will be announced in the coming days, are sure to bring fun surprises and intriguing discussions. Individual tickets will sell for $22, with proceeds benefiting Operation Smile.

For more information, schedule updates and tickets please visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Facebook: The NERD Machine, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, Twitter: @thenerdmachine,

Instagram: Nerdmachine, Vine: The Nerd Machine

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
Dang it you're fast!

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad