Author Topic: Here's a new option, stay in your car.  (Read 7492 times)

Offline LB42

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 181
Re: Here's a new option, stay in your car.
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2019, 08:56:14 PM »
If I ever get stuck in hotel draw - I think staying in a van in downtown San Diego might be fun - in the same way staying in a hotel pod in Asia (once) is a new experience and fun.  Lemons to Lemonade. Probably never want to do it again - but think about the bragging rights and the life story to tell.  Of course what I know from experience is that rooms shake out.  Almost everyone who really wants a room gets one - maybe not their first choice - but a room.

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2019, 09:38:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I use that 24 Hour Fitness as my locker during comic-con.  Exactly like how someone uses a locker in high school.

I just looked up how close the 24 hour fitness your referring to. It's not to far from the Ralph's! I wouldn't mind using my car and shower at the 24, however my wife would hate me for it. So I'll stick to selling my kidney in order to pay for a hotel for CC.
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 02:35:26 AM »

Offline Blubutterfly505

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 247
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2019, 01:55:46 PM »
I just looked up how close the 24 hour fitness your referring to. It's not to far from the Ralph's! I wouldn't mind using my car and shower at the 24, however my wife would hate me for it. So I'll stick to selling my kidney in order to pay for a hotel for CC.

Out of curiosity, what does the average kidney sale for these days? I have my sons graduation party, college tuition and the move to said college this summer.  So, I might need to keep this option as a back up plan my own self  :D

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2019, 06:54:14 PM »
Out of curiosity, what does the average kidney sale for these days? I have my sons graduation party, college tuition and the move to said college this summer.  So, I might need to keep this option as a back up plan my own self  :D

According to this article, it's $262,000.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2019, 06:57:24 PM »

uh.  BRB.  Selling a kidney.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2019, 12:44:14 AM »

That seems low especially for something as irreplaceable as a kidney. Actually the value of almost everything on that link seems like a bad deal, other than a few like $70 for 10 inches of hair.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2019, 08:18:58 AM »
Yeah, $70 wouldn't even dent the cost of a SDCC hotel bill!

(See, mods? I'm getting the thread back on track after de-railing it...   ;D )

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2019, 07:35:23 PM »
National Geographic just posted a documentary about homelessness in San Diego.  This is why it's legal to sleep in your car in San Diego now.  Homeless people today aren't the stereotype people think.  Many of the people you interact with from cashiers to students are homeless in California.  I think the estimate is that 10% of California State University students are homeless.

Offline cire_raeb

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2019, 07:06:25 AM »
Respectfully, let’s not turn this forum into political or social justice debate on the housing issue.  The options to sleep in your car and using the showers at 24 Hour Fitness are available for those without a hotel room and leave it there. I would not recommend it as sleeping in your car is not safe and the showers at the gym is disgusting.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 07:23:25 AM by cire_raeb »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2019, 10:07:35 AM »
I don't think there was anything particularly political about giving background about why this law came into place.  I personally found the background quite valuable and interesting.  It's just as political as talking about con security and why certain changes happen there.  That thread seems to be running just fine. 

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2019, 09:12:18 AM »
Respectfully, let’s not turn this forum into political or social justice debate on the housing issue.  The options to sleep in your car and using the showers at 24 Hour Fitness are available for those without a hotel room and leave it there. I would not recommend it as sleeping in your car is not safe and the showers at the gym is disgusting.
No one did that. Respectfully, don't try and create drama where there was none.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2019, 08:27:01 AM »
If there was a place that was able to be set up as a temporary car/van city for SDCC, that might even be the slightest bit of cool.  There could be a shuttle stop there too.  Food trucks..hmmm ::)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline jnyama

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2019, 09:44:29 PM »
Tell me about it.  20 years ago, the owner of a house I was renting offered to sell it to me for $200,000.  That house is worth between $1.5M to $2M now.  Even back then, for $200K it was cheap.  The problem was, I hated that house.  That's the rub about housing in the bay.  If it was expensive and nice, then maybe.  It's not.  It's expensive and trash.  That house I was renting would have been a tear down in most parts of the country.  It was cheaply built to begin with, it was one of those post WWII put it up quick houses.  The slab was cracked with leaky pipes.  The carpet was perpetually wet.  The windows only kind of kept out the wind.  I thought the furnace would explode every time it turned on.  Flames would shoot out of the vents.  I had to keep the cap off of the sewer pipe outside since it would clog all the time because the pipe was cracked and roots had grown into it.  I made the mistake of putting the cap on when I first moved in.  That lead to a backup flooding the house.  The landlord yelled at me and told me to not put the cap on.  The neighborhood was not good.  The barking dogs and loud music killed any thoughts of buying it for me.  I drive by it every once in a while when I'm back up north.  It looks exactly the same as the day I left.  So does the neighborhood.  But it's in the heart of the Silicon Valley.  A few minutes from Google, Yahoo, Adobe, Microsoft or Cisco.  Location.  Location.  Location.  That's why it can sell for that much.

I've seen some pretty trashy apartments in San Francisco.  One sticks out.  It had a ragged basketball size hole in the wall between the living room and bedroom.  I asked the landlord if he was going to fix it before renting it.  He said no.  He didn't have to.  He didn't.  5 minutes into the open house, he already had a stack of applicants.

Oh man, can I relate with this. I lived in SF for four years going to school and the housing sitch was so awful. I saw one apartment with no windows--the only natural light came from a skylight covered in bird excrement.  It felt like the pit the Silence of the Lambs girl had to stay in.

Another time I saw an apartment in, what I assumed would be a converted garage.  NOPE.  The bed was right next to the car.  The guy living there was like, "well, if you're lying on your bed and you need fresh air..." and then hit the garage door opener and the door rolled up.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2019, 09:56:45 PM »
Oh man, can I relate with this. I lived in SF for four years going to school and the housing sitch was so awful. I saw one apartment with no windows--the only natural light came from a skylight covered in bird excrement.  It felt like the pit the Silence of the Lambs girl had to stay in.

Another time I saw an apartment in, what I assumed would be a converted garage.  NOPE.  The bed was right next to the car.  The guy living there was like, "well, if you're lying on your bed and you need fresh air..." and then hit the garage door opener and the door rolled up.

It's not uncommon to see walk in closets rented out as a rooms.  I've seen people squeeze a queen size bed in there.  I wouldn't do that.  There is literally no space at all left.  A twin is a much better way to go.

During the dot com days, people used to rent and sleep in the bike lockers at Caltrain.  That's when they were full sized and solid walled.  Caltrain solved the problem by making them half size and see through.

This stuff happens in San Diego as well.  That's the reason the animal shelter shut down the night drop boxes for people giving up their animals.  The homeless would sleep in them and end up locking themselves in.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:20:00 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2019, 04:02:42 AM »

All I can think of is... ??? ??? ???
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia