Author Topic: Autograph Tips and Tricks for SDCC  (Read 138225 times)

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
Re: Autograph Tips and Tricks for SDCC
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2016, 11:51:55 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I dunno I've always had good luck with Fox as long as you are near the front. I find that the less popular signings tend to churn out more winners. One year when they only had one show left they just started giving them away to the next people waiting in line.
My daughter loves Teen Wolf so one yr we tried that line, she was smaller so I made her go ahead of me and they lowered box to her and I stole a quick glance to see where some of the winning tickets were. I reached in and didn't shuffle around, at that point I figured my odds was pretty good and I got a winning ticket for her. Point is if you have little kids let them go first and take a quick glance when box is lowered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2016, 12:17:08 PM »
A good thing is that the folks running the drawing are super nice to the children. Sometimes they let them draw a second time if they do not draw a winner on the first attempt.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 09:17:02 AM »

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2016, 03:50:08 PM »
My daughter loves Teen Wolf so one yr we tried that line, she was smaller so I made her go ahead of me and they lowered box to her and I stole a quick glance to see where some of the winning tickets were. I reached in and didn't shuffle around, at that point I figured my odds was pretty good and I got a winning ticket for her. Point is if you have little kids let them go first and take a quick glance when box is lowered.

True, but last year they did not have the boxes with papers -- it was a bag with either a black checker (winner) or red checker (loser). I'm sure they would still help a kid out though.

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2016, 04:03:46 PM »
True, but last year they did not have the boxes with papers -- it was a bag with either a black checker (winner) or red checker (loser). I'm sure they would still help a kid out though.
Yeah it seems like everyone helps out the kiddos and that's great. Taking a peek in the box as its lowered for the kids is just a tip and can be used to increase your odds. The Walking Dead had the bag type, they would shake it up and hold the bag up high. Lol

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2016, 05:18:18 PM »
It is not up in the sails pavilion just go to the booth and ask where the end of the line is, the line is usually capped but just hang around till they open up line again.

thanks

I dunno I've always had good luck with Fox as long as you are near the front. I find that the less popular signings tend to churn out more winners. One year when they only had one show left they just started giving them away to the next people waiting in line.
I agree about Fox being easy at the front. We were near the front last year on Saturday and went three for three on pulling winners. Last year it was pull a colored checkers I believe. Then pick the show you want. On Saturday Gotham was first to go. Then Simpsons and Last Man on Earth werent too far behind. Also keep in mind that Fox is really late in doing their autograph pull as opposed to WB or Hasbro/Lego drawings.
ive had good luck with both fox and the wb autograph drawings but i have always been pretty close to the front of the line.

also in 2014 for the 24 autograph signing my son just put his hand in the bag, and the lady said we have a winner before he pulled out the ticket, and then said he was the last winning ticket. man my son was so excited he won! it was great. so i ended up going with him to get keither sutherlands autograph in which he signed 2 posters for us even though we only had 1 winning ticket. He even had a small conversation with my son, it was AWESOME!
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline Madmax

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2016, 09:03:39 AM »
Just a question, if i camp out say around 3 or 4am for the flash CW autograph, i'm not sure when the line actually starts moving, but can my wife and baby come down later when they wake up to join me in line or is it like the Hall H wristbands?  I want my wife and baby to have a good nights sleep but we all love the flash and all of us, including my son, will have on flash outfits, lol.  Do they do the autographs that same day?  I read the posts and it seems the closer up you are the better your odds - makes sense the closer up the more winning tickets still available. This will be my first attempt at getting an autograph, any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks and lets have a great Con!!!!

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2016, 09:08:49 AM »
Just a question, if i camp out say around 3 or 4am for the flash CW autograph, i'm not sure when the line actually starts moving, but can my wife and baby come down later when they wake up to join me in line or is it like the Hall H wristbands?  I want my wife and baby to have a good nights sleep but we all love the flash and all of us, including my son, will have on flash outfits, lol.  Do they do the autographs that same day?  I read the posts and it seems the closer up you are the better your odds - makes sense the closer up the more winning tickets still available. This will be my first attempt at getting an autograph, any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks and lets have a great Con!!!!

As with everything else, as long as you're upfront about them joining you later to the people in line around you, most people won't have a problem with it. Especially with little kids, I think people will be pretty understanding about them getting/needing more sleep. Autograph lines don't do wristbands.

The official drawings are only for that day's autograph sessions, so yes, they are done same day.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2016, 09:17:35 AM »
1st off if you want to get CW flash autograph, camping out at 3/4am wont be early enough i dont think. Last year we camped out because my daughter wanted a flash autograph, and it seems like everybody in the front of the line(were we were at) wanted a flash autograph, so it sold out fast. So i think this year won't be any better, i think it will be even worse. And yes the autographs are the same day, sometime before the panel or even after the panel. For the everything else line(which is the autograph line as well), if you let people know in front and behind you that your wife and baby will be joining you in the morning you will be fine.
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2016, 09:18:51 AM »
I will be brief. You are a good husband holding a space for the family. I generally recommend you inform the folks around you are hold spaces for the family. No one will have an issue but better to let folks know.

CCI may or may not change the rules but they let folks in around 7am. Best to have the wife meet you an hour before just in case they let the line in early.

Autograph drawings are for the same day for all media booths with the exception of The Walking Dead.

WB has a board showing status - not counts - and the folks running the line sometimes do a great job relaying the "sold out" drawings periodically.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2016, 10:21:39 AM »
I agree - 3 to 4am is probably not early enough for something as popular as The Flash.

Also, once the outside line moves inside the line is no more. You get in the door and everyone starts power walking to wherever they need to go inside an empty convention center. People who were behind you will get in front of you. So even if you were 10th in line outside, once you get to the WB line there could be 100 people in front of you.

In my experience with Fox (never tried WB), once you get into their line behind Sails they will not allow anyone else to join you. So if your family misses the window to join you outside, they may be out of luck anyway.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2016, 10:40:23 AM »
Also a good rule of thumb for new folks attempting autographs for the first time at SDCC is to manage expectations. A win is a huge accomplishment and you will cherish the opportunity to meet your favorite stars. On the flip side if you do not pick a winner go back to the end of the line quickly and do not loose your cool. Relax and enjoy the experience.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2016, 10:43:35 AM »
Also a good rule of thumb for new folks attempting autographs for the first time at SDCC is to manage expectations. A win is a huge accomplishment and you will cherish the opportunity to meet your favorite stars. On the flip side if you do not pick a winner go back to the end of the line quickly and do not loose your cool. Relax and enjoy the experience.

Agreed - My rule with autographs (and anything I want to do at SDCC) is to try as hard as I can to make it happen and if it doesn't then move on and do something else.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 03:35:24 PM by Angie »

Offline Madmax

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2016, 01:18:49 PM »
thanks for the input everyone, very helpful. oh, so once they let the outside line enter the pavilion upstairs for another line, no one else can join you?

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2016, 03:34:43 PM »
thanks for the input everyone, very helpful. oh, so once they let the outside line enter the pavilion upstairs for another line, no one else can join you?

I only know about Fox, and they were very strict about it. I had been in line for an hour (in the second line behind Sails) and needed to use the restroom. I couldn't find the lady "supervising" the line and so I let the people in front and behind know and left. When I tried to get back in my spot she yelled at me and argued that I couldn't because I left the line without a "pass" (Still no idea how I would have gotten one). The people around me stood up for me (luckily) and we got her to begrudgingly let me back in my spot. I can only speak from my experience. Maybe someone else has some insight on WB.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2016, 04:01:00 PM »
This one is touchy for your situation but this may appear as line cutting in some eyes from folks in the line and security. Some folks try to jump into the line after they do a draw on another line

Best advice I can give is to avoid allowing anyone in the line after the entry to the building to avoid issues. The security in Sails - not the studios - are the ones who are in charge of line integrity. Personally I witnessed folks jumping into lines from other drawings and being asked to leave.

I understand your situation - being a family man myself - and can only suggest you plan accordingly and worst case you be the solo person in line if the little one is not ready but the time they let people. The folks for the WB may allow you and family in for the signing but you will only get one poster. Key there is to ask very nicely and if you are cosplaying as the Flash they will certain consider your request.