Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211268 times)

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #825 on: April 10, 2019, 12:08:27 PM »
I'm oddly calm about this one.  I even forgot about it this morning, only to be reminded by a friend's email.

Maybe it's because there seemed to be opportunities last year to get something downtown in the waiting list period.  Maybe it's because I got one of my top six last year.  Maybe it's just because I know that if I fail it won't be for lack of trying and luck just wasn't with me.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #826 on: April 10, 2019, 12:12:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Star Wars Celebration, Coachella, Gallifrey One Tickets, Tax Day... how can we make a busier week even busier?

Let's give them just two days!

Game of Thrones this weekend too.  So people finishing their marathons and hosting parties hahaha.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #827 on: Today at 03:07:55 PM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #827 on: April 10, 2019, 12:12:26 PM »
I think one of CCI's biggest bargaining chips in negotiating with the hotels was that they could potentially* move the entire convention to another city or state at their will.

When CCI announced and broke ground on their new museum it was probably much easier for the hotels to call their bluff once it was time to renew the contract.

I don't think that has anything to do with it.  Just because the museum is here doesn't mean that comic-con has to be here.  The museum has to be somewhere.  Even if comic-con moves somewhere in the future, the fact that most of the people that run comic-con live here makes San Diego CCI's home base.

The prices are higher because the prices are higher.  It's not like less people are coming to comic-con every year.  There's also the people that come only for the offsites.  Demand far outstrips supply.  If anything, they could charge more and still sell out.  San Diego is in demand.  Comic-con is not the only convention there is in San Diego.  I've seen the convention that follows comic-con setting up Sunday afternoon before comic-con has fully wound down.  Also there are just tourists that keep coming here driving up hotel prices.  Even 4 years ago, I was able to stay in a hotel for $29/night
while getting my house fumigated.  I never see that hotel for less than $100/night now regardless of the season.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:19:40 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #828 on: April 10, 2019, 12:16:01 PM »
Game of Thrones this weekend too.  So people finishing their marathons and hosting parties hahaha.

I’m running a literal marathon this Monday. The Boston Marathon to be specific. Which means I have to hold off on watching GoT until after.

Also, I’ll probably be on a plane when the first round of hotel emails go out. That could be a good thing or bad thing.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #829 on: April 10, 2019, 12:19:09 PM »
I'm oddly calm about this one.  I even forgot about it this morning, only to be reminded by a friend's email.

Maybe it's because there seemed to be opportunities last year to get something downtown in the waiting list period.  Maybe it's because I got one of my top six last year.  Maybe it's just because I know that if I fail it won't be for lack of trying and luck just wasn't with me.

Please pass over whatever it is you're drinking. I want to be "oddly calm." Plus for me, it's also about making sure my lady friend is happy too. So I gotta get a place she's good with as well. When it was just me, I would have settled for like Best Western Bayside. Now? We're like the Jeffersons, movin' on up! (I wonder how many people here are old enough to get my reference?)

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #830 on: April 10, 2019, 12:22:33 PM »
Please pass over whatever it is you're drinking. I want to be "oddly calm." Plus for me, it's also about making sure my lady friend is happy too. So I gotta get a place she's good with as well. When it was just me, I would have settled for like Best Western Bayside. Now? We're like the Jeffersons, movin' on up! (I wonder how many people here are old enough to get my reference?)

We established down in the Shuttle Info thread that I am the one with the good drinks.   ;)

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #831 on: April 10, 2019, 12:28:25 PM »
We established down in the Shuttle Info thread that I am the one with the good drinks.   ;)
Good drinks...
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline chirigami

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 74
« Reply #832 on: April 10, 2019, 12:35:23 PM »
I think I'm a little calmer this year 'cause of the short notice and the years of failure, so I'm not expecting much (and I want to say in advance that I appreciate all of you because I'm sure my group will have to rely on someone once again).  Also maybe less stress, 'cause less people to have to shuffle about this time around.

There's also a lot of potential Star Wars stuff coming out this weekend and that's eeexcciiiittiiiing ~

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #833 on: April 10, 2019, 12:40:12 PM »

I knew there was a reason why I liked you.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 01:00:05 PM by Virgo911 »

Offline rodneytfreeman

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 69
« Reply #834 on: April 10, 2019, 01:00:56 PM »
Our first SDCC experience (2016) went perfectly. 4 day tickets, Conan on Wednesday, Our #1 hotel, with a number of hotels to give away to this forum, got into all of the panels we wanted to, and NerdHQ. It was too good to be true.

There is absolutely no way that this year is going to match that experience. Only got Thursday and Sunday tickets. We're just happy to get back this year, for the 50th! I'm cautiously optimistic, because it's my nature. I'm hoping to be able to provide hotel rooms to the forum because our group has expanded from 2 to 3. I guess we'll find out in a little under a week (minimum.)
SDCC: 2016, 2019, 2020

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #835 on: April 10, 2019, 01:02:42 PM »
The timing does not bother me. 2 days notice or a 2 week's notice...everything good is going to be taken right away regardless. It being right before Celebration starting does not bother me either...honestly, there are so many major conventions now that it's going to be very difficult to have every day associated with SDCC mutually exclusive from every day associated with every other major convention.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #836 on: April 10, 2019, 01:06:12 PM »
These prices are getting crazier and crazier every year.

One thing I'm noticing this year is that there's a noticeably bigger gap between downtown and Mission Valley prices. (The past few years, I was actually surprised that the gap wasn't wider.) Downtown prices are going up at a faster rate and some of the cheaper hotels dropped out. The demand has obviously always been higher for downtown hotels, but for whatever reasons the price is finally starting to show that.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #837 on: April 10, 2019, 01:08:29 PM »
That makes me curious about the Bristol.  Why drop out?  Unless it's being used for a big block.  No offense to the Bristol, I LOVE it, but it doesn't feel like a VIP block kinda place. IDK man.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #838 on: April 10, 2019, 01:10:44 PM »
That makes me curious about the Bristol.  Why drop out?  Unless it's being used for a big block.  No offense to the Bristol, I LOVE it, but it doesn't feel like a VIP block kinda place. IDK man.

Not VIP at all but with only 100 rooms a studio/network could book the entire place and guarantee complete privacy for talent. And, its still not available on their own site. I would think that if the truly dropped out to raise rates they'd list them not at peak hotel buyin' time.

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #839 on: April 10, 2019, 01:12:38 PM »
I'm pretty calm too, but I think it's because I'm really just happy to be able to participate this year. I know that may sound corny, but I feel lucky just to get the badges. It's my first time, and I'm of the mind that whatever happens happens. Regardless, it doesn't sound as though anyone will be homeless.

Plus, I kind of have a knack for making things work. Very few worthwhile things in life are without at least a little struggle.  ;)