Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211243 times)

Offline Cajnca559

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 71
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #870 on: April 10, 2019, 04:23:55 PM »
Boy oh boy can’t believe it’s that time of the year again. Love this forum and have for many years. Good luck to all my fellow forum members and hope we corner the market and all get the rooms we are hoping for.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #871 on: April 10, 2019, 05:09:54 PM »
If it was just me, the room size would be fine, but two people plus all the stuff we buy.  Nah, not gonna work.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #872 on: Today at 02:11:46 PM »

Offline mellyreid

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #872 on: April 10, 2019, 05:24:43 PM »
I was just looking at the form and wondering if anyone had any insight....
1. How do you usually answer the "If none of my preferred hotel choices are available..." and why? Do you think it makes it less likely you get what you want if you choose an answer that you'll take anything?
2. I will be attending with my husband and 2 year old but we would prefer a king bed. Do other people who travel with kids just count the adults? I know there is no guarantee of what kind of bed you get, but how likely is it that we would get a king?
3. When we fill out the form will we be flagged as duplicated since we live in the same house? Should we not have the same address if we get in twice?
4. Anyone else traveling with little ones in tow?
5. We are actually going to be flying in on Tuesday and leaving the following Tuesday. Do you think having to have a hotel that long will decrease our chances of getting a place to stay during the hotelpocalypse?
We are super excited about getting to go to SDCC. Its been on my bucket list for years and I can't believe we are going. 8)

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #873 on: April 10, 2019, 05:26:45 PM »
I found this Reddit post from a few months back that went into the technical aspects of the queuing system that On Peak uses, and running some tests to get some numbers on chances of getting downtown hotels. The TL;DR is the simulated results fall in line with pretty much what most of us know here: you get in before 9:02am, you have a good to great chance of getting a downtown hotel or at least one on your list.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It's interesting, but there's nothing actionable given this knowledge. Blood sacrifices are still probably necessary.

Offline True Romance

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #874 on: April 10, 2019, 05:26:58 PM »
This might have already been asked, but is it worth it to choose two different room types at the same hotel? I know this limits your actual hotel choices down to say 5 per category. 

Also, any hotels in the Downtown area seem to have been easier to get in years past?

Thanks,

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #875 on: April 10, 2019, 05:32:19 PM »
1. How do you usually answer the "If none of my preferred hotel choices are available..." and why? Do you think it makes it less likely you get what you want if you choose an answer that you'll take anything?
2. I will be attending with my husband and 2 year old but we would prefer a king bed. Do other people who travel with kids just count the adults? I know there is no guarantee of what kind of bed you get, but how likely is it that we would get a king?
3. When we fill out the form will we be flagged as duplicated since we live in the same house? Should we not have the same address if we get in twice?
5. We are actually going to be flying in on Tuesday and leaving the following Tuesday. Do you think having to have a hotel that long will decrease our chances of getting a place to stay during the hotelpocalypse?
We are super excited about getting to go to SDCC. Its been on my bucket list for years and I can't believe we are going. 8)

1. I always pick the first option, which I believe is "Book me at a hotel that is closest to the convention center, regardless of rate and shuttle availability." From wording alone, that probably gives the greatest chance of a hotel.
2. My friends who have brought newborns / toddlers exclude them from the form.
3. I would use different addresses just in case. Like perhaps use a parents' addy.
4. Does food baby count? *burp*
5. I would book only Wed -> Sunday through OnPeak and the rest of the days through the hotel directly. In my experience, it's been cheaper that way, and rooms are generally very much available, even a month before the con. I've done this with Omni and Westin Gaslamp. Also, it's been my experience that hotels have no problem combining reservations and generally will let you stay in the same room across the entire stay.

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #876 on: April 10, 2019, 05:38:38 PM »
Question:

I haven't registered for my badge yet because I'm paying this year and i'm waiting on my mother to confirm if she can go by May 1st. I should still be able to reserve a room, right? i didn't get the link but i clicked on it from the old page. It still works..
Pretty sure you don’t have to have a badge to reserve a room, but you do need a Comic-Con memberid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline scottydizzy

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #877 on: April 10, 2019, 05:40:39 PM »
Trying to recall from last year, but does anyone have any data or feelings about selecting the waitlist option?

I have a memory of that backfiring as OnPeak would see that and think "oh, they are cool with being on the waitlist, let's just give them that"

But it also seems like giving yourself the most avenues of possibilities should be good too.

Thoughts?

~S

Monsterpalooza - Burbank 2014-15, Pasadena 2016-19
Star Wars Celebration - L.A. 2007, Anaheim 2015
WonderCon - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (L.A.), 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC - 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #878 on: April 10, 2019, 05:47:23 PM »
Pretty sure you don’t have to have a badge to reserve a room, but you do need a Comic-Con memberid.

There is a field for a member id, but it hasn't been required in the past and this year's sample form doesn't have it as a required field.

Building on what [member=4314]accelerate[/member] posted (1) most people choose the closest to the convention option, some choose the shuttle route option and very few choose the lowest price option. As far as we know, these options do not affect at all the chance that you get a hotel on your list and work pretty much as they are described. How they choose your hotel if you end up relying on the shuttle list option is one of the great mysteries.

(2) We've been able in the past to change the room type, for example last year we were given 2 doubles and were able to change it to a queen, but I would spend some time looking at what hotels actually have kings.

(3) Our kids are going but pretty much grown up now, no longer clear who is towing whom. There are a number of people on the forum who have attended with little ones in case you have questions.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #879 on: April 10, 2019, 05:55:48 PM »
Trying to recall from last year, but does anyone have any data or feelings about selecting the waitlist option?

I have a memory of that backfiring as OnPeak would see that and think "oh, they are cool with being on the waitlist, let's just give them that"

But it also seems like giving yourself the most avenues of possibilities should be good too.

Thoughts?

~S

That's a good question, and people have similar ones about specifying backup options, or even if you should list as many hotels as you can. The general idea being that maybe if the ways your request could be satisfied are more limited then that would increase your chances.

We've never been able to see anything like that in action and the process seems to work in a really simple manner. When your request gets its turn they will go through your downtown list in order, your non-downtown list in order, then if you have a default option they will see if anything is available and assign it accordingly.

One thing that is good to keep in mind is that if you do list non-downtown hotels and pick the closest to the convention option, they will prioritize your non-downtown hotels over any available downtown hotels that were not on your list. So I would be careful using that list unless you end up getting a pretty late form access time and there are some non-downtown hotels you have a strong preference for.

Offline Kylo

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #880 on: April 10, 2019, 06:28:23 PM »
Thanks Mark.
I am along time lurker posting for the first time to say I appreciate all the information.
Good luck tomorrow everyone.

Offline rodneytfreeman

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 69
« Reply #881 on: April 10, 2019, 06:52:35 PM »

2. I would just count the adults. I believe, based purely on my own logic, that you’d have a better chance at getting a good room if you’re selecting 1 bed. The hotel has one bed rooms, and a lot of people are going to be requesting multiple beds. I know a lot of people will be requesting singles too, but I would think it would be less than doubles.

3. I wouldn’t chance it. Put separate addresses, if you can.

5. I would also think that the hotels would prefer people who are staying longer. Less turnover, etc. Anecdotally, our first con we stayed Monday-Following Tuesday, and we booked the days allowed through onpeak, and added days outside of what was allowed. Then we combined our reservations. We got a king bed at our #1 choice, Omni. It could be complete luck though.

Congrats and good luck!
SDCC: 2016, 2019, 2020

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #882 on: April 10, 2019, 06:57:42 PM »
Another issue with listing the kids is that they will charge you for them. Any adults over 2 in the room cost extra, but kids under 18 do not.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #883 on: April 10, 2019, 07:40:49 PM »
Just in case I'm too panicked to say it tomorrow, good luck to everyone! May your hotelpocalypse best dreams come to fruition.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline mellyreid

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #884 on: April 10, 2019, 08:16:40 PM »
Another issue with listing the kids is that they will charge you for them. Any adults over 2 in the room cost extra, but kids under 18 do not.

Good point! 😊