Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211735 times)

Offline chirigami

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 74
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #2265 on: April 23, 2019, 10:45:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Two different submissions and zero rooms. I got a waitlist email though. I was able to get a downtown room off the cancellations last year so really hoping to get lucky again. I’m bummed I’m not going Saturday. Have every other day. Had a chance to get it on open reg but sacrificed so my wife and cousin could finally get in. They have all four days at least so I’m happy for them and now we have 3 for pre reg next year
That was awesome of you though :D  You might not be going to any panels, but hey there is plenty of stuff to do outside the con and at some of the hotels (like the gaming lounges and stuff).  So all is not lost ~

And may the waitlist be ever in our favor.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7003
« Reply #2266 on: April 23, 2019, 11:05:08 PM »
For anybody who got the waitlist, I got Hampton Inn Mission Valley and Crowne Plaza Mission Valley so I'm going to be giving up my Crowne Plaza reservation if anyone is interested. It will make a decent safety Hotel
you can post in the offers thread or go through the asking thread.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2267 on: Today at 08:40:47 AM »

Offline pegleg1204

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #2267 on: April 24, 2019, 06:44:50 AM »
I'm really not sure how On Peak works.   We had five computers get in to request hotels.   The first one was in just before 9:03, the second right after and the rest between 9:05 and 9:10.    None of ours got a hotel on either wave.   However, a friend of ours in another state who did not get in until 9:05 got her second choice which was also our second choice on the first two in.  We had no duplicate names, addresses, emails, etc. so we weren't thrown out, but yet we didn't get a hotel.   Then only three of our email addresses received the notification about wait list yesterday.   One of the ones that didn't was our second computer in.  There is definitely something wrong with this system. 

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #2268 on: April 24, 2019, 06:51:33 AM »
this is basically what I did this year too
patience is the key to all this
did the same thing last year.... and didn't call to have the original person's name removed; but since it was my cc and name and email it didn't make a difference.

Are you saying the person giving away the hotel sends the original email from OnPeak to us and we can activate and log in from there to change the password and email and name on the room? 

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #2269 on: April 24, 2019, 06:52:58 AM »
Is it me or does it seem like across the board more people were completely shut out of downtown than in previous years?  Especially considering the fact that we supposedly had a few new hotels added to the block.  Could be wrong........ 

Wonder with it being the 50th if more studios/networks/companies are coming and grabbed more of the downtown area than normal.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #2270 on: April 24, 2019, 06:53:54 AM »
I've had several people say they would just forward the original email they got from OnPeak to give me the hotel.  Is that a good way to do it?
Yes, that is the easiest way to transfer a room.
If the reservation hasn't been activated yet, you should have them activate it, and send you both the original email, and the activation code, so you can create an account for the reservation.
Once you create your account, you will need to provide payment information for the deposit, and add yourself as an occupant.
Then you should change the email address from the original owner to yourself so all future emails will come to you directly.
Hope this helps.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #2271 on: April 24, 2019, 06:57:34 AM »
Is it me or does it seem like across the board more people were completely shut out of downtown than in previous years?  Especially considering the fact that we supposedly had a few new hotels added to the block.  Could be wrong........ 

Wonder with it being the 50th if more studios/networks/companies are coming and grabbed more of the downtown area than normal.

It could be a lot of things but I just see it as the trend of every year it gets harder to go because of increasing demand.

Also there a ton of people who aren't active on social media getting hotels that we don't see.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #2272 on: April 24, 2019, 07:04:08 AM »
Yes, that is the easiest way to transfer a room.
If the reservation hasn't been activated yet, you should have them activate it, and send you both the original email, and the activation code, so you can create an account for the reservation.
Once you create your account, you will need to provide payment information for the deposit, and add yourself as an occupant.
Then you should change the email address from the original owner to yourself so all future emails will come to you directly.
Hope this helps.

Yes, that's very helpful.  Thanks.  The walkthrough had a lot of screenshots, but it was making my head spin.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4558
« Reply #2273 on: April 24, 2019, 07:35:31 AM »
It could be exactly like badges - everyone requires a memberID and you get a unique waiting room link, and you book what you need with whatever is available or you immediately sign up for the wait list if you don't like what you see.

Actually, the worst was 3 or 4 years ago.  Almost no hotels were given on the exchange.  If you didn't get your own downtown hotel you didn't stay downtown.  We lucked out and our roommate who did theirs on the phone from work got us Bayfront.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Sublime

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #2274 on: April 24, 2019, 08:46:24 AM »
This is correct, once you are assigned a hotel room that is all you get and have to wait until it opens for the public.

I called OnPeak this morning to ask why my assigned room was $125 more than the published rate in the packet for the Doubletree. The rep told me that the room had 4-5 beds (for my party of 2). Obviously I don't need a room with that many beds.

Interestingly enough, he said that if I choose to decline the room, that since I had marked to be on the waitlist, I would get an email on Monday for the early waitlist. Now, take that with a grain of salt, but I also found a similar statement on the SDCC Blog. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

We'll see on Monday I guess!

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #2275 on: April 24, 2019, 08:48:52 AM »

I called OnPeak this morning to ask why my assigned room was $125 more than the published rate in the packet for the Doubletree. The rep told me that the room had 4-5 beds (for my party of 2). Obviously I don't need a room with that many beds.

Interestingly enough, he said that if I choose to decline the room, that since I had marked to be on the waitlist, I would get an email on Monday for the early waitlist. Now, take that with a grain of salt, but I also found a similar statement on the SDCC Blog. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wasn't it last year or the year before that everyone that had declined their rooms got in to the waitlist before it opened up to people that hadn't gotten anything?
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4558
« Reply #2276 on: April 24, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »

Okay interesting so you may need to actually cancel the room to get on the waitlist vs doing nothing with the reservation?  If anyone actually cancels in the system and gets on the waitlist can they report back here?

My roommate didn't cancel theirs (very far away) hotel last round and did not get an email so doing nothing will get you removed. 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Dune930

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #2277 on: April 24, 2019, 09:38:11 AM »

That could be it. I've been reading tweets from long time CC attendees who are just completely shocked that they didn't get a room in the lottery this time. With this being the 50th anniversary, maybe there will be a lot more industry stakeholders and special guests because the amount of badges sold has not changed. I'm sure most will luck out on the waiting list, but still, to have to rely on the waiting list is another level of stress many shouldn't have to deal with to get a room.

Offline L3g3nd33

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #2278 on: April 24, 2019, 09:42:21 AM »
Will the waitlist link be provided in advance of the sale or will they just email everyone the link and then its an immediate FFA?  My bro-in-law is out of the country and it will be hard for him to either try the waitlist sale or forward the email to me.

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #2279 on: April 24, 2019, 09:49:44 AM »
I have a question.... is the link for the wait list unique or is it just a common link that they send out to all?
If it is unique, I have one that I don't need and wouldn't mind sharing it.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss