Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211074 times)

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #2415 on: April 29, 2019, 02:48:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Isn’t there two pools at MGH? From the pictures, at least one of them looks sizable.

The pool and pool area at Westin Gaslamp is tiny.

I like the one at the Omni since you get a view of the bay + convention center.

There's the main one and there's a smaller one outside of the spa area. I don't remember if anyone can use the spa one, I know you can pay a bit for access to the steam room.

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #2416 on: April 29, 2019, 02:49:10 PM »
Isn’t there two pools at MGH? From the pictures, at least one of them looks sizable.

The pool and pool area at Westin Gaslamp is tiny.

I like the one at the Omni since you get a view of the bay + convention center.

Only 1 pool at the MGH. and 2 large spas.  The pool is huge. The whole pool area is huge. they have games and stuff too like jumbo janga and cornhole.
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2417 on: Today at 08:11:25 AM »

Offline madfly

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #2417 on: April 29, 2019, 02:52:32 PM »
I like the HBF pool.... the only problem is that it’s open to the public & therefore usually crowded!
Oops... never mind... I researched this to verify & it is not true! Sorry! It is not open to the public.

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
« Reply #2418 on: April 29, 2019, 02:56:27 PM »

Birds eye view of the MGH pool area.  The 2 spas are circled.
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #2419 on: April 29, 2019, 03:00:41 PM »
Only 1 pool at the MGH. and 2 large spas.  The pool is huge. The whole pool area is huge. they have games and stuff too like jumbo janga and cornhole.

Oh okay. I was just basing it off a Google search where I saw the pool you linked above, and a standard rectangular one.

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
« Reply #2420 on: April 29, 2019, 03:07:32 PM »
Oh okay. I was just basing it off a Google search where I saw the pool you linked above, and a standard rectangular one.

I stand corrected.  There are 2 pools. I did not know this.  Their website says there is a 21+ pool on the third floor.... wow, I've stayed there 4 times and had no idea!

Pools
Relax and soak up the sun at one of our two rooftop pools, the Family Pool on the 4th floor or the Adult Pool (ages 21+) on the 3rd floor. Both pools offer panoramic views of San Diego Bay, private poolside cabanas and whirlpools. For more information and to book your cabana experience please dial 619 358 6937

Hours:

Pools are open daily from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Hours may vary. View a list of upcoming pool closures here.

Offline eek

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 70
« Reply #2421 on: April 29, 2019, 03:29:17 PM »
is the Sofia hotel rooms big enough for 3 people? (two on the bed and one on the floor)
all the reviews say the rooms are tiny and just want to make sure there's enough room. thanks all!

In my experience staying in a Sofia room with 1 bed, there was not much floor space. I can't imagine it would be a comfortable situation for 3 adults. The bathroom wasn't very private either. There might be other sizes/shapes of 1-bed rooms, but ours was pretty small.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #2422 on: April 29, 2019, 03:36:15 PM »
I stand corrected.  There are 2 pools. I did not know this.  Their website says there is a 21+ pool on the third floor.... wow, I've stayed there 4 times and had no idea!

Pools
Relax and soak up the sun at one of our two rooftop pools, the Family Pool on the 4th floor or the Adult Pool (ages 21+) on the 3rd floor. Both pools offer panoramic views of San Diego Bay, private poolside cabanas and whirlpools. For more information and to book your cabana experience please dial 619 358 6937

Hours:

Pools are open daily from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Hours may vary. View a list of upcoming pool closures here.

That's the one I meant, I didn't remember if you had to book a spa thing to use it or not. The MGH also is the only downtown hotel I think were you can buy a day pass. The site is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login but right now you can only book dates through July 8th.

Offline dville

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #2423 on: April 29, 2019, 04:04:37 PM »
I’m sure this has been said before, but the message may get lost here, and it bears repeating:

Don’t be afraid to book hotels for only a couple of the days, and then book another hotel for the other days. Yes, it’s inconvenient to switch hotels mid-con, but I’ve done it four times now, and it really isn’t that bad. I’ve even used the shuttles to transport my luggage.

So if you play around with the dates and see a hotel that’s only available for a couple days, I’d book it and then search for another hotel to complement those dates.

I did this last year and my family enjoyed it.  We stayed close to the con for a few days and stayed far and had a break from the con for a few days.  I would do it again.
If stupidity got us in this mess, then why can't it get us out?

Offline Jangos1

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #2424 on: April 29, 2019, 05:06:46 PM »
I did this last year and my family enjoyed it.  We stayed close to the con for a few days and stayed far and had a break from the con for a few days.  I would do it again.

Thanks for the tip!  Good to know that there are practical alternatives.  It can be so discouraging when the hotel that you want only has 1 - 2 days available. 

Offline DianaOfThemyscira

• Gaming Lounge
  • formerly Xax
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #2425 on: April 29, 2019, 08:34:00 PM »
Crosspost, but I can't see a register button for onPeak on the link sent through email

It asks for my onpeak ID to log in, but I'm pretty sure I don't have one.

I got nothing in R1 and R2 and was waitlisted. (I do have a post offering something but that's for a mate)

Offline Automatic7

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 69
« Reply #2426 on: April 29, 2019, 10:57:58 PM »
My theory on Marvel attending this year:
Last year there was no need to promote Endgame/Captain Marvel, we were All In. This year I feel like they will want to promote the next wave of movies and whatever is next (post Endgame).  Maybe they'll want a nice Endgame victory lap too.

I would hope Disney will want to have a big presence this year to promote Disney+, Lucasfilm (post Last Jedi drama and Solo underperforming), and the next Marvel projects.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Disney has D23 in August tho. They are going to need to hold stuff back for that event.

Offline Automatic7

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 69
« Reply #2427 on: April 29, 2019, 10:59:34 PM »
is the Sofia hotel rooms big enough for 3 people? (two on the bed and one on the floor)
all the reviews say the rooms are tiny and just want to make sure there's enough room. thanks all!
the rooms really are tiny. It’s about half the size of a “regular” hotel room.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #2428 on: April 30, 2019, 09:47:01 AM »
Two years ago, the Crowne Plaza that we booked through OnPeak told us they were overbooked when we arrived.  According to them, this is something the hotels do during SDCC.  That was the first and only time I've ever been bumped from a hotel, period.  Tell me, has anyone else ever been bumped from an OnPeak-reserved room?

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
« Reply #2429 on: April 30, 2019, 09:48:48 AM »
Two years ago, the Crowne Plaza that we booked through OnPeak told us they were overbooked when we arrived.  According to them, this is something the hotels do during SDCC.  That was the first and only time I've ever been bumped from a hotel, period.  Tell me, has anyone else ever been bumped from an OnPeak-reserved room?

I have not but I tend to check in really early on the day of check in.  Like 8am ish