Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211290 times)

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #2505 on: May 07, 2019, 08:26:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I stayed a Tuesday night at the Hard Rock one year and did not get a souvenir key, but I also didn't ask.
I would think that they should have them by then, so you should be able to get one.
I dont think they will hand them out pre-con.  They use those keys as your door pass to get into the building.  They don't want non-guest in the building during the con as there is so many parties/events with high profile people in the building.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #2506 on: May 07, 2019, 08:29:47 AM »
I didn't think CCI issued those special cards.  I would think that is something the hotels do themselves.

The hotel manager at the Residence Inn told us the cards come from CCI. I was disappointed as the hotel was in the official SDCC block.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2507 on: Today at 04:00:42 PM »

Offline sneakyturtle

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2507 on: May 07, 2019, 05:16:48 PM »
We have the choice for the Springhill Suites Downtown/Bayfront and the Courtyard by Marriott SD Downtown. Since this is my first time attending, I'm unsure on which to keep. The Courtyard is closer, but the Springhill includes free hotel breakfast and is near the shuttle. What location would be better? Any help is appreciated.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #2508 on: May 07, 2019, 05:45:57 PM »
We have the choice for the Springhill Suites Downtown/Bayfront and the Courtyard by Marriott SD Downtown. Since this is my first time attending, I'm unsure on which to keep. The Courtyard is closer, but the Springhill includes free hotel breakfast and is near the shuttle. What location would be better? Any help is appreciated.

I don't know anything about the Courtyard, but I stayed at the Springhill Suites last year. I liked it a lot. It's also very close to the trolley, which I took a couple of times instead of the shuttle, which was also fine. It was on my list for this year but I got the MMM thru this forum.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #2509 on: May 07, 2019, 05:47:57 PM »

If you head over to the SDCC 2019 Waitlist Discussion, you'll see someone just posted their negative experience with Courtyard by Marriott SD Downtown. So you should see if her experiences concern you.

For Courtyard, I feel that hotel is just on the edge of walkability. In fact, I feel Springhill Suites Downtown is the same. So you may not even need the shuttles. BUT Springhill Suites is also next to the trolley, and at times can get you to/from the convention center a lot faster because they don't have to deal with the insane traffic that happens around the convention center during SDCC peak hours. If you want to be closer to the action, and by action, I mean all the restaurants and parties and hubbub of the Gaslamp & 5th Ave, Courtyard is definitely better. But Springhill, depending on which way you travel, you can have a nice waterfront walk on your way to the con.

I'll be honest, given those two hotels, I'm not sure which I'd take. To me, they're more or less on equal footing.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #2510 on: May 07, 2019, 06:07:31 PM »
Based on what accelerate posted, I'd actually choose Spring Hill.  I'd rather have two options of getting into the con area and the review in that other thread was concerning to me.  BUT this is for you and not me, so you may disagree!

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #2511 on: May 08, 2019, 03:30:33 AM »
About the Moxy:  when people say the rooms are small, they mean small.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

The brand, as well as others that bill themselves as European style hotels, are geared towards millennials who want something clean and comfortable, but are spending most of their time partying and seeing the sites. If you and your friends are planning to spend the Con in lines and at parties, that should work. I stayed in a Moxy in London and actually liked it. But it was just me and a carry on and even then, it was a little tight. Otherwise, I don’t think the room can fit more than 2 adults and their luggage
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 03:32:44 AM by rabbitwarren »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #2512 on: May 08, 2019, 05:09:25 AM »

The brand, as well as others that bill themselves as European style hotels, are geared towards millennials who want something clean and comfortable, but are spending most of their time partying and seeing the sites. If you and your friends are planning to spend the Con in lines and at parties, that should work. I stayed in a Moxy in London and actually liked it. But it was just me and a carry on and even then, it was a little tight. Otherwise, I don’t think the room can fit more than 2 adults and their luggage

Interesting stuff. You hang your clothes on hooks on the wall and no closet? And a communal ironing room?  Hmmm...not for me, but it sounds as if it has a way ramped up cool factor in other ways.  Maybe. ::)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline parrity

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #2513 on: May 08, 2019, 05:15:04 AM »

Wow, I just looked at the info on marriott's website.

Moxy: 140sqft
MMM: 400swft

That's super small.

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #2514 on: May 08, 2019, 06:50:02 AM »
How do we know when the hotel actually has our reservation? Will we receive some type of email or should we just call and ask?

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #2515 on: May 08, 2019, 07:35:40 AM »
How do we know when the hotel actually has our reservation? Will we receive some type of email or should we just call and ask?

One week before the con. OnPeak will send out emails.

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #2516 on: May 08, 2019, 07:40:58 AM »

Reservations stay in the OnPeak system all the way up to about 1 to 2 weeks before convention then they transfer the reservations from their systems into the hotels systems.  At that time you'll get an email from OnPeak with your actual hotel provided confirmation number.  From this point on you deal with the hotels directly and OnPeak is no longer involved.  You'll be able to add rewards accounts, make hotel requests, and all that jazz.
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline tonovember

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #2517 on: May 08, 2019, 11:29:26 AM »
hi guys, have a question about westin downtown vs. sofia hotel.
currently I have both booked (both are 1 bed rooms) but have to pick one. we're a group of 4, and heard the sofia has tiny rooms and westin has bigger rooms. so seems like westin might be worth the extra 2 blocks of walking.
if any of you guys have some insights on these 2 hotels I'd appreciate the tips! thanks!

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #2518 on: May 08, 2019, 01:11:57 PM »
hi guys, have a question about westin downtown vs. sofia hotel.
currently I have both booked (both are 1 bed rooms) but have to pick one. we're a group of 4, and heard the sofia has tiny rooms and westin has bigger rooms. so seems like westin might be worth the extra 2 blocks of walking.
if any of you guys have some insights on these 2 hotels I'd appreciate the tips! thanks!

Haven't stayed on the Westin Downtown side of town for a few years, but IIRC the distance is so small that I would definitely select Westin over Sofia for a group of 4. The Sofia will just be too cramped.

I always arrive a few days early and have had luck getting two beds on reservations for 1 bedrooms because of early arrival; but that wasn't the case with Sofia. They were booked solid, and though we had a decent size room for 2 people, and even a good amount of floor space that could be slept on - you would essentially be walking over people in the morning/night if you aren't all on the same schedule at the Sofia.

And its been mentioned before, but the bathroom space is very weird at the Sofia. It's a very small space, and the shower doors are 1/4 the size of the shower so water flies everywhere when you are taking a shower. And, if you are sharing a space and want the privacy of changing in the bathroom, it further complicates the situation.

Offline jnyama

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #2519 on: May 08, 2019, 05:39:39 PM »
Hm. Well, if a good downtown hotel doesn't miraculously appear for me tomorrow, it looks like I might end up with something like the Best Western on Harbor Island.  Does anyone have any opinions about being over in that area, versus Mission Valley?  I read the reviews, but didn't get a great feeling for whether three people in a room there would be squished or not--anyone stay there?  Thanks!