Author Topic: Wondercon should stay in LA  (Read 11810 times)

Offline malarrya

• Exhibit Hall
  • I'm pretty good with a bo-staff.
  • Liked: 23
Re: Wondercon should stay in LA
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 08:34:48 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Working as a volunteer at wondercon today. It is confirmed in the program book. Wondercon returns to Anaheim 2017. March 31st to April 2nd. (Not Easter weekend)

Thanks for this! This is a fantastic and cutting edge scoop.
Twitter/Facebook: malarrya
SDCC 2006-2019 | WonderCon 2012-2016 | StarCon Pasadena 1996-98 | ECCC 2013 | Comikaze 2013 | ScareLA 2015 | Star Wars Celebration 2007, 2015

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2016, 10:07:09 AM »
Working as a volunteer at wondercon today. It is confirmed in the program book. Wondercon returns to Anaheim 2017. March 31st to April 2nd. (Not Easter weekend)

I'd do cartwheels right now if I wasn't sure I'd break something.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 06:05:48 AM »

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 10:31:16 AM »
Awesome!  8)
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 11:58:04 AM »
So far I've been here at the LA Convention Center for less than ten minutes and I already miss Anaheim. Everything seems so far apart and there are no signs outside the buildings!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline StarBell84

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 12:11:26 PM »
One of the staff said there were signs yesterday but it got taken down. They do have the rfid machines up and working to get it running.

The rfid badge is literally a badge you'd have if you need to swipe in and out your office at work. I use it at my job and I never called it a rfid, it's just a regular old badge to me but I guess to be politically correct...

I do hope they put the signs back though if you go into the exhibit hall they have a huge sign above the door to remind people to tap your badge when you leave or else....

...ok...it doesn't say or else but don't forget to tap out
Free your inner nerd so your outer nerd has someone to talk to

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 12:24:46 PM »
Yeah, the RFID is very similar to the parking card I have for work. It's also in a separate part of the badge holder from the card with my name and badge type, which is interesting.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 03:44:14 PM »

The rfid badge is literally a badge you'd have if you need to swipe in and out your office at work. I use it at my job and I never called it a rfid, it's just a regular old badge to me but I guess to be politically correct...

???? What is politically correct about calling an RFID badge an RFID badge? That's what it is. Previous badges were paper that had no chips in them. These have RF chips with identity information and must be tapped. There is a big difference.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 06:05:46 PM »

Dislike.  >:( Well, at least we got one year out of it & I'll get to have my LA fun this weekend. :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 08:26:27 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline CptMyCpt24

• Hall H
  • myth of the chupacabra is just that - utter crap
  • Liked: 115
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 05:47:23 AM »
Looks like LA convention center couldn't give them the dates they wanted, "WonderCon will be back in Anaheim next year, Gessner said, as the LACC wasn’t able to book the preferred dates for the event. “Dates were a prime consideration for choosing L.A.” this year as well, WonderCon’s Glanzer said."  Article here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

All info in a nutshell: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
SDCC: 2011-2014, 2016-2019, 2022-| ECCC: 2015-2018, 2021 | WonderCon: ? | DragonCon: ? | NYCC: ?

Zim: Ummm, is it supposed to be stupid?
Tallest Purple: It's not stupid; [sarcastically] it's advanced!

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2016, 08:18:42 AM »
Looks like LA convention center couldn't give them the dates they wanted, "WonderCon will be back in Anaheim next year, Gessner said, as the LACC wasn’t able to book the preferred dates for the event. “Dates were a prime consideration for choosing L.A.” this year as well, WonderCon’s Glanzer said."  Article here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

All info in a nutshell: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The news made the OC Register too ->

Organizers slipped a surprise into the program for this weekend’s WonderCon in Los Angeles: The annual comic book, science fiction and pop culture convention appears to be coming back to Anaheim next year. An advertisement in one of the event’s pamphlets announced that WonderCon will be back at the Anaheim Convention Center from March 31 to April 2, 2017.

Officials at Visit Anaheim, which oversee events held at the Convention Center, referred calls to Comic-Con: International. Requests for an interview with Comic-Con officials were not returned. “While we don’t have anything to announce today, WonderCon has been a great fit for Anaheim, and we would be honored to host the show again and showcase all the great things going on here,” city of Anaheim spokesman Mike Lyster said.

Last year, Comic-Con officials said scheduling conflicts at the Anaheim Convention Center prompted the temporary move to Los Angeles.Formerly held in San Francisco, WonderCon had called Anaheim home for four years. The annual comic book convention attracts more than 60,000 people — many dressed as their favorite superheroes or villains — who listen to movie panels, get autographs from television stars, and watch trailers of upcoming movies and television shows. WonderCon, which started in Oakland in 1987, is smaller than its sibling, Comic-Con, which attracts more than 100,000 people.

EDIT -> and the LAT Hero Complex:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 02:41:10 AM by AzT »

Offline fdiskmbr

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2016, 11:09:24 PM »
I agree with what most have to say in regards to WonderCon being better in Anaheim.  After experience WonderCon in LA I think some things are better then Anaheim. 

The Microsoft theater is much better experience than the arena in Anaheim.  The Microsoft theater layout works so much better for panels vs the arena which is converted to make panels work.  The screen size in the arena is fine for seeing panel guest but when watching clips or a movies on the screen, it is very lacking due to its small size.  Microsoft theater is used to host Hollywood events so its obvious the arena dose not compare to Anaheim's arena.  I did not attend any sporting events but if I did, LA offered NBA Lakers game, NBA Clippers game, and NHL Kings game.  Anaheim would have MLB LA Dodgers a little drive away.  LA Live and all that it has to offer from its restaurants, night life, and movie theater.

Some things were LA is not at as good as Anaheim.  I stayed at one of the closes hotels, JP Marriott, and it was quite a walk getting from hotel to exhibit hall and panel rooms.  Hotel and parking is more expensive. 

Overall, WonderCon just keeps getting better every year.  I was able to attend a lot of awesome panels this year.  Also more of the same companies that are at SDCC are showing up to WonderCon, ie SideShow.  As long as WonderCon stays in Southern California I will be a happy fanboy, sorry San Francisco. 

Offline Laminas92675

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2016, 05:23:53 PM »
I'm glad it's going back to Anaheim. Looking at the map it didn't seem like that far to walk but when it came to actually walking to the exhibit hall to Microsoft theatre then back to the one of the signing rooms I was freaking tired and sweaty.
My group stayed at the Marriott it was nice but didn't like the fact that it was a valet only parking and that it cost as much as a one night stay.
One thing I did like was the Microsoft theatre. I thought it was better than the arena in Anaheim.

Offline loubert

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 26
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 09:48:33 PM »
The LA Convention Center wasn't quite the nightmare I expected, but what was the deal with the horrible lighting in the exhibit hall? It was as if someone didn't pay the electric bill. Easily the dimmest lighting I've seen in any convention center exhibit hall ever.

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2016, 10:27:42 PM »
I didn't care much for the LA Convention Center layout and the meeting rooms and although I liked the Microsoft Theater - there is lot of wasted time walking from the exhibit hall to the theater - also add to the fact that the valet only parking at the hotels made this trip very costly.

Adding all money up - it cost me about the same to go to Wondercon (4-nights total for me) as it does for me to spend a week in Las Vegas (8 nights total) to attend CES.

Also, by car, it ended up taking 4 hours to get to LA from San Diego and about the same amount of time back - the traffic was horrendous.

I am glad Wondercon will be Anaheim next year - I hope it never has to return to the LA Convention Center.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2016, 01:36:28 PM »

It doesn’t look like there’s the possibility of WonderCon in LA in 2018 either: “As to why WonderCon was headed back to Anaheim, Garcetti blamed the time line, ‘I’m sorry the dates didn’t work out. But I think we’re going to be very competitive for 2019, the next opening.’"
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15